Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice pls

Options
  • 20-09-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Wanted to get some advice from those in the know regarding a potential set up for my house…Had postedc here before, but scenario has changed slightly..

Scenario now is that I have all rooms in my new build wired with CAT 6 with a face-plate with 2 points per room…All these cables terminate back in my study where they are all wired into a patch panel and I have a 24 point Edimax Switch that I now need to connect up…I have Patch cables at the ready also!!

I have Eircom calling to install a fixed line this week and then I will get the line tested for Broadband, and if it is ok, I will order it.

So, presuming that all is ok, when they arrive to install the Broadband what will they install exactly?
    I presume that they will just hook a Router that is supplied by them into one of the Phone points? I have a few phone points scattered around the house, but presume that I should get them to put their Eircom supplied router at the phone point in the Study, given that the patch panel and Switch are located there?

That way I presume that I can connect them all up..Is this right ?

1. Run a patch cable from the Broadband enabled router to the Switch ?

2. For all the rooms I want to have Internet access in, I should run a patch cable from the appropriate point on the Patch panel into the appropriate ports on the Switch.

3. What else do I need to do?

Also I presume (question for another day..) that I can run both the wired and a wireless network if I so require..(prevent me having to hook the laptop to an Ethernet point each time I gon web...??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Everything you say is correct and doable.

Eircom would normally just add a box to the wall (wherever their line enters the house) that has 2 outputs on it : 1 for the analogue line and one for broadband. The broadband output will be connected via a phone cable into the back of the router. They'd normally do all this at the point that the Eircom wires enter the building.

It sounds like you already have cable options for bringing one or both outputs back to your study. Alternatively, you could ask the Eircom engineer to see if he can wire the Eircom box into your study instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hi and thanks for the reply...

Yes there is a box on the external wall where the Eircom cables enter the building...this end wall is a sitting room..........

I want them to place the broadband router in the Study once they have connected the wires and successfully (hopefully !!) tested the line for broadband....

As I say, there is an existing telephone point in the Study already, so I presume this should be fine? Surely they won't just plonk a Router down in the sitting room because that is where the external box wall is ??

When they test the line what are the minimum speeds that would be acceptable...i.e. I dont want to sign up to a snail slow service either...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

As I say, there is an existing telephone point in the Study already, so I presume this should be fine? Surely they won't just plonk a Router down in the sitting room because that is where the external box wall is ??

Sometimes it happens, especially with an old wiring, that the router only gets signal at the socket where you have the box outside. Shouldn't happen with a new wiring though.

Surely they won't just plonk a Router down in the sitting room because that is where the external box wall is ??

The reason that Eircom do it that way is so that they won't he held responsible for any dodgy internal wiring that you have in the house ;) Now if you ask nicely they might do it the way you want but they're not obliged to.

You can move everything yourself later anyway if you like.

Hey all,

Posted this original query a while back and have now finally received my zyXcel (p-660hw-t1 v3) broadband router in the post from Eircom with the set-up disk, wires etc...

Currently the only computer I use is the laptop, so I presume I can run the set-up procedure on that with it positioned close to the telecom point in my Study?

As I previously stated, I also have my Patch panel with wires from all rooms terminating in it and have my Edimax 24 port switch ready to connect to the Patch panel….

What I am not sure of is how I do it step by step as in how to connect the Switch to the Patch panel and then how I connect the Eircom zxYcel router to the Switch….?? What ports do I use where and what to connect to what ?

I presume what I need to do is:

Run the Eircom broadband set up on laptop.

And then, connection wise, I will have:

Router connected to Phone point on wall via 2 port filter socket Eircom supplied.
    Telephone connected to Phone point on wall via 2 port filter socket Eircom supplied.
    Then I need to connect the Eircom router to the Edimax Switch somehow?
    And then for the rooms I want to enable the broadband in, I need to run a patch cable from the appropriate point on the Patch panel to the appropriate port on the Switch…??

Is this the right approach and if so, what else do I need to do? For example, I think there was a cd with the Switch..what do I need to run here?

Any help appreciated on this and the right ports to connect to etc would be brilliant..Dont have pics but can get descriptions of port names etc later on if needed...

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

When you have your broadband working with the laptop connected to the router, just connect one of the LAN ports (numbered 1-4 on the back of the router) to any port on the switch. To add a cabled point in the house then to the LAN, connect the corresponding number on the patch panel to the switch with an ethernet cable. Basically every local network point needs to end up being connected to the switch.

P.S. Throw away the CD immediately!

bhickey wrote: »
    When you have your broadband working with the laptop connected to the router, just connect one of the LAN ports (numbered 1-4 on the back of the router) to any port on the switch. To add a cabled point in the house then to the LAN, connect the corresponding number on the patch panel to the switch with an ethernet cable. Basically every local network point needs to end up being connected to the switch.

P.S. Throw away the CD immediately!

Hey bhickey,

thanks for the reply and will give that a try tomorrow...

when u say throw away the cd immediately, do u mean immediately after use or immediately... (without use!!) :D:D

hey bhickey...

just wanted to say thanks for the help...have the broadband set up now and hooked into the switch as you advised.....hope to give it a good work out tonight in each room access point to check it is working..will let ya know;)

Advertisement