Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router configuration how to prevent torrents??

• 20-09-2010 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi guys! Hope you can help me with my problem. Me and my other co-workers have a DSL 4mb. My slow slow connection happened when they learned to download movie torrents using bittorrent or utorrent. And now I cant enjoy my internet specially when I'm playing online games. Its killing me!!! :mad:

Our router is echolife hg520, this is the one our ISP gave us. And its not in my room its in the other guy's room. But I can open the router I know the default username and pass. Can anyone help atleast I can enjoy my OL games....please.....badly:(

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Instead of blocking it, maybe you could limit the download speed from the router (some allow this).

You could also ask your co-worker to adjust their settings to limit the download and upload speed.

Are you the only one paying for the broadband, or are they paying also? Bit like the pot calling the kettle black, if you're gaming and complaining about someone else using the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 burutos08

how can i limit the download from the router? If im going to change download and upload speed limit from torrent client they also know how to adjust it. Is there any other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Negotiate. If you have four sharing you need to reach a compromise. Unilateral action only 'works' if you are the sole payer, even then it is often better to negotiate rather than arbitrary implementation.

Easiest way is to ask your co-worker to adjust their torrent applications settings to a more acceptable level. May be a bit of trial and error to see what level suits. If you could tell us what application they use to access torrents, I could probably tell you how to limit it, or you could check out the applications help section.

they are using bittorrent and utorrent.....

I wish i can configure the router to prioritize mine 1st before them, and I dont want to confront them and tell them stop downloading or lessen their download speed. They say things about me.....i dont want that.

FYI they are not that techie, if I can block P2P they will not know what I did. I will just tell them its the ISP hehe.....

But limiting(through router) would be my 1st choice. TIA!!

Hope somebody can help.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

burutos08 wrote: »
    I wish i can configure the router to prioritize mine 1st before them, and I dont want to confront them and tell them stop downloading or lessen their download speed.

I doubt that you can do with the router you have. Do you have a budget for a new router? Some routers can throttle & prioritise various types of traffic based on the computer being used, time of day (or any other criteria you can imagine).

Bu the way, if you were to use OpenDNS, they would know that it was you!

no i dont have money to buy linksys routers. And the router is not in my room, but i managed to browse & open the router and see the configurations. Once i get home i will reply again to this thread about the router's settings.

Configuring the router is the hard and nasty way. Rather like locking the bathroom door and taking away the key, just because someone left the lid up.

i have these router and i find these options.

How about this filter settings? can it help about my P2P problem?

I've attached an image...tnx! please help.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Why don't you just explain to them that the torrents are slowing down your games and ask them to do their torrent downloading at night? Plenty of people only download torrents over night for this very reason!

You can explain to them that utorrent has an auto shutdown option in the options menu that they can set to turn off the computer when done if they don't want to leave it on all night, then they can just put the torrents downloading before bed and avoid slowing down the connection at other times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Try the QOS (Quality Of Service) screen as that's normally the area where you'd define prioritisation of traffic through the router.

i dont know how to config QoS....again i will upload an image later when i got home to show it here again the Qos of the router ok?

tnx bhickey.....i'll reply again later with image of Qos....tnx!!

@redisle still I play late up to 1am so I lag badly. I did ticked their upspeed and told them to remove finished downloads. I also told them to minimize and download 1 at a time. But still lag.....I tried changing the IP add of the router one time so they cant connect and I will be the one who can connect...walla!! No lag and super fast connection.....so I therefore conclude that they are downloading badly. Because they are new in downloading movies they got amazed and abused it! damn!! And the worst they are complaining why they've downloaded stuff like wont play, sine copy, broken movie, etc.....because they just download what they see they dont care how bad the net will be. Ok thats it....just sharing my emotions! LOL!!

here is the QoS of the router......i dont know what Im gonna with this...:D

can anyone know how to use this...

the ip add of the router is 192.168.1.1 by default...thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

I want the OPs job....downloading and playing games...sigh:D

the router Im talking about is in our home accommodation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

burutos08 wrote: »
    here is the QoS of the router......i dont know what Im gonna with this...:D

can anyone know how to use this...

the ip add of the router is 192.168.1.1 by default...thanks!

You need to check in the protocol drop down for p2p or torrent. Some routers can detect torrent type traffic and some cannot.

Torrents usually use a random port so it's hard to pin down, unless you target all ports other than the port you are gaming on (80?).

The other way would be to do it on a PC to PC basis. Give your PC highest priority on all types traffic, and even limit that bandwidth of all the other PCs.

hehe how? I've uploaded an image in my past reply.... And by the way there is no p2p option in my router.....Im getting stressed about this....ggrrr.....

thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You need to create several 'rules', one for your pc with higher priority than another rule for theirs. I suggest you change from random dhcp to fixed based on MAC (so each pc always has the same IP) (look for something like 'LAN settings' in the Basic section), then you can base the rule on the 'source IP' field in your QoS picture.

Maybe you'll find a FAQ or howto for this router online somewhere ?

[edit]: both utorrent and bittorrent clients have a schedule section in options where you can limit bandwidth according to a day/hour planner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

You could just disable Upnp, which is responsible for automatic port forwarding, then forward ports manually for your games. This should slow the torrents right down assuming they aren't using a vpn or similar. They might notice something is up though because the little green tick down the bottom of utorrent will change to an error mark. Kind of a nasty trick though.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You need to create several 'rules', one for your pc with higher priority than another rule for theirs. I suggest you change from random dhcp to fixed based on MAC (so each pc always has the same IP) (look for something like 'LAN settings' in the Basic section), then you can base the rule on the 'source IP' field in your QoS picture.

Maybe you'll find a FAQ or howto for this router online somewhere ?

[edit]: both utorrent and bittorrent clients have a schedule section in options where you can limit bandwidth according to a day/hour planner

ow ok...i will try it later when i got home. I hope our router has that function ty!!:D

• Advertisement

Redisle wrote: »
    You could just disable Upnp, which is responsible for automatic port forwarding, then forward ports manually for your games. This should slow the torrents right down assuming they aren't using a vpn or similar. They might notice something is up though because the little green tick down the bottom of utorrent will change to an error mark. Kind of a nasty trick though.

yeah I think I disable that UpnP. Then I've tried downloading from my computer a torrent, still downloading and eating the bandwidths ehehe :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I don't know why people are helping this guy. I mean they are all paying for the broadband so why shouldn't they download torrents?

If he is playing online games thats going to slow it down as well.

You should just talk to them about it. On most torrent clients you can configure the downloads to start at a certain time.

RoadKillTs wrote: »

Compared to torrents gaming has minimal impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Compared to torrents gaming has minimal impact.

True but its not his network. If they are sharing it then they should be able to download torrents if they want.

True but its not his network. If they are sharing it then they should be able to download torrents if they want.

Yeah but it's fun to have control.

I don't know why people are helping this guy. I mean they are all paying for the broadband so why shouldn't they download torrents?

You should just talk to them about it. On most torrent clients you can configure the downloads to start at a certain time.

because torrents kill the net. Three of them downloading at the same time @ 300kbps+ well that not good for me. All they do is sit and watch TV and waiting for the torrent to finish.

For those who replied, thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Switch your ISP to eircom. Soon enough they'll get their warning letters :D

Advertisement