Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help on router configuration, how to limit or prevent torrents?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi guys! Hope you can help me with my problem. Me and my other co-workers have a DSL 4mb. My slow slow connection happened when they learned to download movie torrents using bittorrent or utorrent. And now I cant enjoy my internet specially when I'm playing online games. Its killing me!!! mad.gif

Our router is echolife hg520, this is the one our ISP gave us. And its not in my room its in the other guy's room. But I can open the router I know the default username and pass. Can anyone help atleast I can enjoy my OL games....please.....badlyfrown.gif

i already told them to limit their downloads but as if they dont heared me.
    we share the payment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I don't think you'll be able to do what you need to just by using the router.

Seeing as this sounds like a work situation - who the hell pays these people? If it were me then I wouldn't tolerate people downloading ****e onto work computers. Nor would be I too happy about employees spending time on online games ;) Rant over.

One option would be to use OpenDNS and enable the P2P filter on it. If they figure out how to bypass that (by manually setting their DNS servers) then you'd need to drop the privileges on their machine so that they can't change those settings. Of course you'd also need to lock them out of the router too so that they can't undo the setting that you've changed there.

It sounds like they're going to be pissed off by all this but that takes us back to the first question again - who the hell pays these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 burutos08

hehe tnx for the reply I will try it as soon as i get home. FYI im talking about our router at home. We share rooms in one villa and share connections.

So i hope there is this option openDns and filter P2P you are talking about. Its really annoying, cant even watch youtube properly. Before it was really fast then after they've learned to download,, it went bad ass!

thanks!:D

Advertisement