Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Gas fire

• 20-09-2010 10:29am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We currently have a gas fire in the house and looking at getting a real fire in its place. Gas is handy but it gives very little heat out and I've grown up with a real fire and want to get one in my own house.

Now, I have absolutely no idea who I can call about getting it done so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

You probably will need an RGI, the regs state that the gas pipework must be disconnected from the supply and left open. So if you have more gas appliances then the installation pipework will need to be capped and retested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

another point to keep in mind is that if its in a fire place, is the fireplace stone?
    is the hearth granite? these would need joints and grouted to allow for expansion, gas can work with one piece hearth, where a solid fuel fire would crack it with heat,
    so if you look at the hearth base you should see fine black grout lines in center of hearth, i have called out to houses where handy men not knowing what to look for, have taken out gas fire replaced with open fire and with first fire big crack in hearth,
    my advice would be go to fireplace shop and ask them to look at fireplace,
    or as put up pic if you could so i could give you idea,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

Can anyone recommend a gas installer to remove and cap the old fire? Getting the same done myself and such a list on rgii site that hoping someone has used an installer and is happy to recommend.

Oh and an approx cost would be great.

Advertisement