Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Crumlin like to live in?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at renting a two bedroom house/apartment at the moment. My original search area was Dublin 6/6W but haven't been too impressed with tiny apartments for €1000+ so I'm spreading the net a bit.

I've found a few nice places off the Sundrive road in Crumlin but have no idea what the area's like. Can anyone give me some impressions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Avoid, it's a kip. I would suggest Chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

Sundrive Road isnt bad, the only thing is the park behind it can be very dodgy...however I would look at Templeogue/Knocklyon if I were you....small bit further out and a few houses for the price range you are looking for and they are very nice area's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

personally I wouldn't like to live in crumlin, lived close to it and very close to sundrive road. for me not a good athmosphere...could be a bit rough and dodgy..
    but would say it depends on your situation, why do you consider especially crumlin?
    if you work there and you find a nice house, live there with nice people or family, have a car and not dependent on buses and no need for stylish pubs/nighlife close by, it could work out to live in crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

The Crumlin idea is based on having lived in and liked Kimmage in the past when I was in a house share and because anywhere between Dublin 6 and Dublin 12 is a sweet spot for me in terms of being close to town and also close to where I currently work.

Thanks for the feedback anyway, it's a nice place but I took a spin up there didn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

A bit further up isn't too bad, the village seems ok, aswell as up by The Submarine and Dunnes Stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

We lived on Clogher Road up to around 2 years ago. It wasn't the greatest to be hones, we were evacuated twice due to pipe bombs and there is a rough element in the general area. If you're looking at the area Walkinstown is far nicer, (we lived there just prior to moving to Crumlin)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Crumlin is huge so peoples experiences will vary. I lived there for over 30 years and never had a problem. It's close to town, loads of shops. pubs and facilities. I'd recommended anywhere close to Crumlin Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Whats the area around the Ashleaf Shopping centre like nowadays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Ask about any of Dublin and sooner or late someone will chime in "with it's grand" or "it's no worse than anywhere else"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Take a drive around and see for yourself. Some parts are great, some not so great. Late summer/autumn evenings are an excellent time to suss a place out because kids will be about and you'll get to see if they are about, hanging about or loitering with intent.

Ignore ignorant comments like this:
    Avoid, it's a kip. I would suggest Chapelizod.
    And make up your own mind by doing some investigation for yourself.

However, in my opinion, some of the areas near Sundrive road are a bit mixed. Very tight roads in some of those estates as well. Not wild about Old County road but Shearys on a side road is a lovely pub. A bit further west sees really wide roads and lots of nice green areas. There's one road near the village & schools that's very nice and I'd have no problem living there long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭gigglemuch82

I live in D12 but in Walkinstown. I've been told to stay clear of Crumlin unless it was right near the village (by someone who lived in Crumlin).

The area around Crumlin is nice and quiet if you're near Bunting road or the road that leads to Kimmage.

Why don't you move a bit further down to Drimnagh or Walkinstown area or Crumlin near Bunting road or the village? Those areas are quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I don't know the city end of Crumlin but I live in Walkinstown and himself is from Drimnagh so we're down that end a fair bit - both areas are great. Most of my walks take me around Crumlin Village and the Ashleaf and I find the areas very pleasant. Crumlin is massive so it'll vary depending on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Much appreciated folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I am a drimnagh resident and I do like, there are some weird grumpy old people that make a point of being total as***les but I get you can get those anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

"Whats the area around the Ashleaf Shopping centre like nowadays ?"

The immediate area around Ashleaf shopping centre is absolutely lovely (especially Cherryfield area) but very expensive. It's actually more Walkinstown than Crumlin...

I live in Crumlin closer to the village and think it's grand.
    Crumlin is actually a very mixed area. The majority of people I have dealt with are great (especially over 60s folks). However some people are close minded (i.e. curtain twitching and territorial) and then you have the howya hoodie scumbags roaming the streets who can be nuisance from time to time (sometimes you have to stand your ground with them and don't let them walk over you).
    IMO Crumlin is currently attracting a good few professionals which is reflected in rising rents and house prices.

Advertisement