Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Kinect Roadshow Ireland - First Stop, The National Ploughing Championship

• 20-09-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

The Kinect is coming to Ireland to be tested by the public

First off, THE NATIONAL PLOUGHING CHAMPIONSHIP :eek:

Then it's onto

Blanchardstown Shopping Centre on Friday 24th September,
    Dundrum Shopping Centre on Saturday 25th September
    Pavilions Shopping Centre in Swords on Sunday 26th September.

XBOX KINECT ROADSHOW KICKS OFF AT THE NATIONAL PLOUGHING CHAMPIONSHIP

19th September – Xbox has announced that it is inviting members of the Irish public to experience the controller-free fun of Kinect for the first time this week as part of a national roadshow ahead of its launch on 10th November. Kicking off at the National Ploughing Championship on Tuesday 21st September, Xbox invites members of the public to experience Kinect in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre on Friday 24th September, Dundrum Shopping Centre on Saturday 25th September and Pavilions Shopping Centre in Swords on Sunday 26th September.

Commenting on the roadshow, Kieran Penwill, Ireland Country Manager for Microsoft’s Entertainment and Devices Division, said, “We are really excited about the opportunity to bring Kinect to the Irish public for the first time. Kinect for Xbox 360 brings games and entertainment to life in extraordinary new ways, with no controller required. Over the course of the week we are giving consumers a taste of what to expect when it launches in November and build excitement ahead of Christmas.”

“it is a revolutionary experience as you are the controller. It uses a sensor to track your body movement and recognise your face. If you know how to move your hand or shake your hips you and your friends will be able to jump instantly into any Kinect experience. See a ball? Kick it. Scroll through a menu? Just wave your hand. Kinect responds to your body’s movement, transforming how you play, entertain, and connect with family members and friends,” Penwill added.

During the roadshow, Xbox will be encouraging the public to have their picture taken at their display in order to be in with the chance to be the first person in Ireland to receive Kinect for Xbox 360. Everyone who takes part in the Kinect experience roadshow at the mentioned locations will be entered into a special draw ahead of the launch. The winner will receive a Kinect sensor, an Xbox 360 and a 12 month Xbox LIVE subscription.

http://www.gamersireland.ie/?p=7483

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Ah Christ, the yank stereotype generator will have a field day with this one!

"Seamus, put down that cow and have a look at this shiny new thing. Be gorra to be sure to be sure!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

I've seen a few reviews on you tube, and people weren't that impressed but it was only in beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If they had a version of Harvest Moon running on it then they would sell out at launch :D

Probably just it was a big event taking place close to the other events, mainly attended by non-urban peoples so a good way to show it off to people not from Dublin (as the 3 other dates are all Dublin shopping centres).

And how would Seramus lift a cow, they are bloody heavy. Now a sheep or pig I could understand.

Or how you could play Dance Central in wellies??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Oh please let there be cameras.
    Dance Central - Ploughing Championship Edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Someone tell TV3 to get there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If they had a version of Harvest Moon running on it then they would sell out at launch :D

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww get your coat, the door is over there
    >

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I'm neither a dub or a culchie so looks like I won't be attending any of these days! Goddamnit.

anyone at it yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I had a go today at the Pavillions in Swords. Quite impressive. A little but difficult to judge the sensitivity of the thing in the 3 minutes I got, but very good fun. I played the rafting game - I was jumping around the place like an idiot.

me and my fianceé played dance central, even the fact i looked like a tool dancing and can't dance it was good fun, was surprised how accurate it was + i got to rodeo to funky town :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Was up in Dundrum Sat and saw the display.

Didn't have time to queue to use it , but watched a few people have a go.

Don't know the name of the game they were playing, but short description of it was 2 avatars on platforms moving along a roller coaster type thingy, trying to collect items, avoid obstacles and jumping to move the platform.

There was a noticable lag between movement and on-screen reaction (which 1 or 2 people could be heard complaining about afterwards), but more importantly, looking at the range of movement the guinea pigs were doing, there's gonna be a lot of broken vases, tables etc in countries all over the world.

You're gonna need a massive sitting room and good strong floorboards to use this.

I was playing Dance Central and there was no lag while we played it. Think it may be more noticable if you don't play. But it worked spot on for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I'm excited about this as an Xbox owner. I got a chance to have a go on with the Playstation move and wasn't overly impressed. Its basically the Wii with better graphics. Its nowhere near as ambitious as a controller free console.

Will be interesting to see if the this take off as a genuine way of play Xbox or will the hard core gamers stick to the traditional controllers and have kinect as little sideshow that can be wheeled out to impress Auntie Mary next time she is over.

Euro Kraut, me and my other half where skeptics, it sounds like a fantastic idea but will it actually work properly?

Like any new tech the developers are still learning how to use and implement it and i think a few side games on a big game like Fable or something with zombies will do it a world of good.

Even the AR prospect there can't be put aside.

Anywho after trying it. We'll be getting it day 1

Remember alchohol + dance central + inlaws = youtube gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Was up in Dundrum Sat and saw the display.

Didn't have time to queue to use it , but watched a few people have a go.

Don't know the name of the game they were playing, but short description of it was 2 avatars on platforms moving along a roller coaster type thingy, trying to collect items, avoid obstacles and jumping to move the platform.

Thats Kinect Adventures, the "Wi Sports" game that is being bundled with the Kinect.

Was Child of Eden on show or would children be flailing around on the ground from epileptic seizures from it? Because between that and Dance Central me interest be piqued for the Kinect.

No they only had the Microsoft games and dance central on show.

Advertisement