Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can employer force an employee to pay?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi there.

Here's the details -
    My boyfriend flew back to England this morning (he works there).
    The flight was due to land at quarter to nine and he was to go straight to a first aid course meaning he would get there at 9.30 am.
    The course started at 9!

He was choosen to be sent on this only last week after two members of management declined to go.
    Therefore his flight was booked prior to knowing about the course (usually he would be fine going into work for ten o'clock).
    The other lads he works with, chargehand etc on site all knew he was coming home for the weekend and flying back this morning.

Anyway he landed at just after nine, flight wasnt officially delayed, just waiting on the runway, getting off the plane etc and due to trains he wouldn't get in to the course until just after 10.
    He rang ahead to say he was running late to be told there was no point coming, there was no admittance to the course if you were over an hour late and no refund.

Now he knows he was late etc and so is to blame but also thinks its very harsh (it's a three day couse - could understand if it was 4hours long!)
    He rang his foreman who said he would try sort it. However he also had to ring the HR lady in his jobs head office who said f'd & blinded on the phone and told him he would have to cover the cost?!
    Obviously I'm sure you've guessed if he had to go to England for work money is very very tight and this is going to litreally screw up his budget.

Just wondering if he can be forced to pay it? At most he would only be able to pay off £30 a wk and seemly the course is £1000 so it will really impact him hard!!

Any advice would be much appreciate!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He gave himself 45 minutes? Was the course being held in the arrivals hall of the airport?

If he'd intended to be at the course on time surely he'd have taken an earlier flight. Imho he is responsible for not being there on time - whether he should pay for the course or not, I'd say he should, but doubt his employer could legally force him to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubblybox

He gave himself 45 minutes? Was the course being held in the arrivals hall of the airport?

If he'd intended to be at the course on time surely he'd have taken an earlier flight. Imho he is responsible for not being there on time - whether he should pay for the course or not, I'd say he should, but doubt his employer could legally force him to.

Hi there,

He flew into the most central airport and the train he should have been able to get would have taken 15-20mins. With no bags and it being a smallish airport it was very sufficient time. I have landed at 8 and been in work in the city centre for 9 so I would agree if I felt he was pushing it tight but as this is the umpptenth time we have done this I can understand his frustration.

Also I would re-iterate that the flights were booked prior to him being sent on the course and the job were aware that he was planning to come into work late today and knew he could not afford to change his flight to last night.

Thanks for the advice re the legal anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

bubblybox wrote: »
    Also I would re-iterate that the flights were booked prior to him being sent on the course and the job were aware that he was planning to come into work late today and knew he could not afford to change his flight to last night.

I guess the all important question is did he have permission to take time of this morning, before he was booked on to the course and did he make them aware of his travel intentions when he was informed of the course...

If not then it is hard to see how he could blame anyone other than himself for the situation he finds himself in. We all do stuff at the weekend, but that does not mean that we are not obliged to attend work at the normal time on Monday morning.

I suppose he will have to wait and see what the company decides to do... if he is a valued employee I expect that they will be willing to write it off, otherwise it is hard to say...

From a legal point of view I think that normal breakage and damaged caused by an employee in the course of his work and can not be charged to the employee, but here is the thing - missing a course because you were late back from a holiday in Ireland does not seem to fit the bill!

Good luck with that,

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Omar comin

I doubt very much they can force him to pay for missed training that they require him to take, but they can take disciplinary actions for not turning up to work on time. It sounds like the HR person was having a bad day.
    But to be sure check his employment contract to see if it has anything in it about missing training and having to pay.
    Or contact citizens advice in the UK,
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

He should take the hit, otherwise his job is going to look shaky and he won't even be considered for future training opportunities.
    He should never have cut it so fine & it looks very bad.
    My company make us pay the course fees upfront (€275 a time) and only reimburse us when we pass the exam at the end.
    It's a good incentive to make people take the courses seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So instead of having a course and for free he gets no course and loses £1000? Sounds like double punishment for something he could do little about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubblybox

Hi there,

OP here. Yes the foreman was aware that he would not be into work until 10 and that was fine.

As it stands they admit that when he told them he would be late they should have informed the course providers.
    Whilst they were annoyed yesterday they have not mentioned again about him paying. My OH told them he would be happy to cover a percentage of the cost especially if he could go on it again (it's first aid so someone will have to do it eventually) but doesnt feel he should have to handle the whole thing as he was honest with them; they have agreed he would have reached it with plenty of time if the things went as planned and he had the flights booked before he was asked to attend (as another member of staff was due to go).

They seem happy enough with this. Think they are trying to brush it under the carpet as it is supposed to be a member of management as the first aider and a staff member (e.g. my OH) whereas management refused to go!

Thanks for the advice anyway - mods feel free to close when you're ready!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement