Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My second what bike thread, Felt, Corractec, Cube or Lapierre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

what about the boardman comp. its 860 and has tiagra 105 mix. you can also get a further 15% off with an axa policy. the f85 is a pretty bike. i have the 2009 f95 myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It never entered the equation as I never visited Halfords, plus out of all the insurance policies in my house not one is with Axa ! I'm tempted by the felt but not sure if that's simply because it's the dearest and somewhere at the back of my mind a little voice is saying therefore that's the best !

Also, am I right in saying the Felt is a compact, 50/34T as opposed to a regular double on the Laiperre, 52/39 ?

One last thing I just spotted, but forgive my ignorance, what's the difference between the Felt F85 and Z85 ? The geometry is different but what does that mean to a man like myself ?
    http://2010.feltracing.com/Ireland/2010-Product-Catalog/Road/Z-Series/Z85.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I just bought the Lapierre 400 at cyclesuperstore. They only had triple fyi. It's my first road bike so I can't give you analysis in comparison but I like it.

The chap there talked me through a few of the models there including the Cube Agree but we decided that the best for me was actually the 400 although it was the cheapest. Tiagra but it's solid throughout not a mix of say 105 and sora/2300 parts as some specs I had printouts of from them and other stores. The finish on the 400 is incredible, the weld is invisible and looking at the cube it seems so much better finished.

Have to say the fitting procedure and the pre and after sale service was very good. I got on the bike and by the end of the car park it felt natural, perfect fit. I was a bit apprehensive of getting a white bike but its had the good effect of making me wipe it down immediately i get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

ThisRegard there are good bargins on felt bikes at merlin cycles, the felt f5 is a good bargain, a little bite over your budget but its a carbon frame.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Road+Bikes/Felt+Bikes/list.htm

heffsarmy wrote: »
    ThisRegard there are good bargins on felt bikes at merlin cycles, the felt f5 is a good bargain, a little bite over your budget but its a carbon frame.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Road+Bikes/Felt+Bikes/list.htm

Yeah, my budget was initially as close to 800 as possible and look where that got me now. Unfortunately Merlin doesn't have my size in the F85, I'm 5'7 so looking for a 54 at most, good price though. However I wouldn't have the confidence to build the bike myself, particularly around the bottom bracket area unless it already comes pre-assembled bar handle bars and pedals.

@Poochiem, I only had a quick look at the Lapierre on Saturday evening, that place was mobbed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/article.html?o=AS1001142

€ 949 and comes with 105. I'm 5'7'' and have an Ultimate CF in this size.

If you don't go fo it I might ;-)

and they dropped a bit off the price as well ;-) mind you I've been in before and was getting a new wheelset for the hybrid.

Lemag wrote: »
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/article.html?o=AS1001142

€ 949 and comes with 105. I'm 5'7'' and have an Ultimate CF in this size.

If you don't go fo it I might ;-)

that looks great value

poochiem wrote: »
    that looks great value

Sure does.

It is a triple which might have an impact on the OP's decision. If it is the claimed weight of 8.3 kg I doubt lighter could be found anywhere for under €1000.

@ ThisRegard - they have a bike fit calculator on this site and, from my experience and those of others I've seen here, it's estimate seems to be a little conservative by suggesting a frame size smaller than it perhaps should. It recommended that I go for a size 50 but instead I went for a size 52 and it's perfect for me. That was for the Ultimate however. The geometry for the roadlite might have a different baring on the suitablilty of the frame size.

That is tempting isn't it ! But again it brings me back to the issue of having to put the thing together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That is tempting isn't it ! But again it brings me back to the issue of having to put the thing together.
    wouldnt worry about that. but 100 aside to get it built, mr skeff on here would prob do for less and do a bwetter job than your lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭csb1989

One last thing I just spotted, but forgive my ignorance, what's the difference between the Felt F85 and Z85 ? The geometry is different but what does that mean to a man like myself ?
    http://2010.feltracing.com/Ireland/2010-Product-Catalog/Road/Z-Series/Z85.aspx

I own both a 2007 Felt Z65 and a 2010 Felt F1 SL, which each have the same geometry as the models in each range which you mentioned.

There are a number of differences in the geometry of the two;
    -shorter headtube on the F series vs the Z series; gives a lower front end for a more aggressive (but potentially uncomfortable if not used to it) position
    -steeper headtube angle on the F series; quicker handling, but less forgiving on rough roads and potential for toe-overlap (toes hitting the front wheel in sharp corners)
    -shorter wheelbase on F series; again, quicker handling but less shock absorption

In short, the Z series is more suited to someone looking for a comfortable sportive/ long distance bike, whereas the F series are designed with racing in mind, and as such make compromises in comfort. So the question is, which are you looking for..?

Either way, I would highly recommend Felt; great bikes- handling, finish, comfort, looks.. :P

Just another note (purely my opinion), the horizontal top tube on the F series lends it a very classic looking geometry, rather than the sometimes awkward looking compact frames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

funkyjebus wrote: »
    wouldnt worry about that. but 100 aside to get it built, mr skeff on here would prob do for less and do a bwetter job than your lbs.

AFAIK he's emigrated.

I wouldn't be so concerned. Most of it is already done but here's an instructional video from the Canyon website for what you'll need to do - http://www.canyon.com/pure_cycling_tv/index.html?movie=unpack_roadbike_en.m4v

..yet another alternative would be my BH Carbon Classic with Compag Mirage groupset which I should be looking to put up for sale in a couple of weeks. It's a full carbon frame with a 52 cm seatube (I think that top tube is about 54). However, as mentioned, I'm also 5'7'' and I find it just a little too big.

csb1989 wrote: »
    Just another note (purely my opinion), the horizontal top tube on the F series lends it a very classic looking geometry, rather than the sometimes awkward looking compact frames

I thought the same myself actually. Thanks for that run down, it has helped alot. At the moment most of the events I partake in are around the 50k or less mark so I don't think comfort would be too much of an issue, anything longer than that I'm sure I'll get used to it.
    Lumen wrote:
    AFAIK he's emigrated.

That's that out the window so.
    Lemag wrote:
    I wouldn't be so concerned. Most of it is already done but here's an instructional video from the Canyon website for what you'll need to do.

Damn you, now I don't know what to be doing ! Bar this one being a triple, I can't see how the original price now for a 6.0 is €919.

Damn you, now I don't know what to be doing !
    Just go for it!
    Bar this one being a triple, I can't see how the original price now for a 6.0 is €919.

For the special offer at 919 they don't seem to have any stock left in your size. The one which I've linked to is in the outlet store. The original price is €999 + a little extra for a triple. There's a reduection then for the one in the outlet store having some visual flaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I've been doing my homework over the last few months and finally pulled the trigger on a bike for the OH. Was keen to get a Canyon but there's absolutely nothing left in a size that will fit so after looking exhaustively at all the options stumbled upon a Felt ZW75. RRP £1249 but down to £799, Shimano 105. Seems like a very nice bike. Hopefully will have it by the end of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

It never entered the equation as I never visited Halfords, plus out of all the insurance policies in my house not one is with Axa ! I'm tempted by the felt but not sure if that's simply because it's the dearest and somewhere at the back of my mind a little voice is saying therefore that's the best !

I think i have a 15% off voucher at home for halfords. Your welcome to it if you want to get the Boardman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Unfortunately Merlin doesn't have my size in the F85, I'm 5'7 so looking for a 54 at most, good price though

I'm 5'7. I wouldn't go near a 54.

• Advertisement

Thanks again everyone.

Diarmuid, you stick with a 52 ? For the life of me I can't remember the size of my current one, I must drag out the measuring tape and check.

Thanks again everyone.

Diarmuid, you stick with a 52 ? For the life of me I can't remember the size of my current one, I must drag out the measuring tape and check.

It can vary quite a bit from frame to frame. I was looking at frames a short while back and apparentally Focus (I think it was) ride small i.e. I would have been looking for a 54 or 56 when ordinarily I'd be looking for a 50 or 52. I never got to try one so this was just based on the testimonies of others. If the geometry of the frame on your bike is pretty much the same as whichever bike you decide to go for then it should be pretty safe to go for the same size (presuming that your current bike is a good fit for you). It also depends on your intended purpose for it.

My Canyon Ultimate CF is a 52 (I measured the seat tube at 51) and is perfect for me. My BH Carbon Classic measures 52 cm and feels too big. If you can't try the bike out it'd be best take into account the experience of those who are similarly sized to you, I guess. As I've already stated, I'm 5'7'' also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

el tel wrote: »
    I've been doing my homework over the last few months and finally pulled the trigger on a bike for the OH. Was keen to get a Canyon but there's absolutely nothing left in a size that will fit so after looking exhaustively at all the options stumbled upon a Felt ZW75. RRP £1249 but down to £799, Shimano 105. Seems like a very nice bike. Hopefully will have it by the end of the week.

Dont do it it will end up hanging on the wall, my OH's hangs on the wall above my bike and never gets ridden haha any more it decoration now for the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I got the Corratec Dolomiti Tiagra on the BTW scheme back in May. Haven't had the opportunity to get out enough on it yet for a multitude of reasons, but am aiming to commute to work on it at least 3 days a week from now on.

So far I'm very happy with it, needs a retune of the gears now, but no major problems at all.

I really like the look of it and the fact that its not very common, you just don't see too many of them on the road.
    I'm 5'6 and I got the 50cm frame - you can see the specs here:-
    http://www.corratec.de/en/bikes2010/road/race/dolomiti_tiagra_wro.php

Now to get some proper use out of it. :)

Advertisement