Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to keep your pets safe!

Options
  • 20-09-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Sad to say but its that time of year again! Our pets are not safe to be allowed to roam without supervision!

Sadly so far one dog has been killed by the dreaded evil sickos & fireworks!

Please let us all try to make this the only casualty of 2010's firework season.

This Halloween keep pets safely locked inside your home!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Strangely enough, I heard the first loud bang last night.

Forgot that time was approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thanks for the reminder, will be vigilant.i do have a cat who had a cracker tied to her tail about 7 yrs ago in a city estate, i have her six yrs now, and she stay inside day and night, just goes out to toilet, poor old girl look like she had some few litters of kittens before she was rescued, but now she has a warm bed in kitchen, and plenty space outside with trees to climb, she had a hard start, but is having a winning end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I remember my first horrific memory of animal abuse in Ireland.That poor dog mounted outside a school on a pole :mad: makes me sick still to this day :(
    Now the most recent that poor dog with his jaw :(
    What is wrong with these people who do this stuff? I mean if one person as in sick but a whole group of people :confused: It could be your friends kid or neighbours kid who is doing this.

Never have our pets out alone anyway.Cats always have brains and dont go anywhere out side of back garden for whole time leading to and away from it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I absolutely hate halloween. I see no reason in the world to celebrate a pagan festival. I have two dogs, both rescue dogs, and I dont know how my second one will react to fireworks and bangers yet. What I intend to do is take them away for halloween weekend to a rented cottage in Donegal, which is miles from anywhere, so they may escape the worst of it. I did this last year as well with my first dog. Even though, as someone says above, the fireworks have started already, at least they will miss the antics that go on on halloween itself.
    Please God no animals will be hurt this year, or scared away by bangers. The one problem I have with cases such as that poor terrier in Dublin recently is that the level of publicity it received is only giving ideas to other sickos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Shazanne wrote: »
    The one problem I have with cases such as that poor terrier in Dublin recently is that the level of publicity it received is only giving ideas to other sickos.

Thats what I am afraid of :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Elly22

oh god the thoughts of anything happening to little Daisy (my 1 yr old cat) terrifies me! it horrifies me how sick people can be:( I've heard people brag about attaching animals to fireworks and it made me feel sick:mad:b******s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thats what I am afraid of :(

What is even more scary is they are not one or two people alone,there could be up to six or more partaking in such acts of cruelty and violence.
    So what does that say about their mental state and conscience and about their up bringing.:(:mad:

That always amazes me too - how even one of them doesn't have the nature to stop what is happening.
    Please don't let this thread turn into a series of horrible halloween stories as I can't handle that. I don't be able to sleep or anything after reading them:( Let's just give each other tips on keeping our precious animals, and the less fortunate ones out there, safe and well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Legen_Dary

I have two dogs, both rescue dogs, and I dont know how my second one will react to fireworks and bangers yet. What I intend to do is take them away for halloween weekend to a rented cottage in Donegal, which is miles from anywhere, so they may escape the worst of it. I did this last year as well with my first dog. Even though, as someone says above, the fireworks have started already, at least they will miss the antics that go on on halloween itself.

I know what you mean, my dog is a rescue and spent all last halloween hidden behind the tv.

Legen_Dary wrote: »
    I know what you mean, my dog is a rescue and spent all last halloween hidden behind the tv.

Your dog is a beauty! It's such a pleasure to see a rescue dog in a loving home. When I look at my two snuggled up together on the couch and think that one of them, Max, was less than 24 hours away from being put to sleep, I thank God that I got to him in time. But that doesn't stop me worrying about all the ones I didn't rescue:(
    I hope you're dog has a more relaxed time this halloween - I can't wait until it's well and truly over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Legen_Dary

Your dog is a beauty! It's such a pleasure to see a rescue dog in a loving home. When I look at my two snuggled up together on the couch and think that one of them, Max, was less than 24 hours away from being put to sleep, I thank God that I got to him in time. But that doesn't stop me worrying about all the ones I didn't rescue:(
    I hope you're dog has a more relaxed time this halloween - I can't wait until it's well and truly over.

I doubt it, she is so scared of everything. It's so hard to watch her sometimes,once my mum tried to play with her with a new toy that squeaked or something and she wet herself she was so scared. I hate to think what her life was like before she came to us. Thankfully she has a better life now.

There'll be lots of cuddles now in the next few weeks anyway and the cats will be kept inside. My neighbourhood seems safe enough but you just can't risk it unfortunatly. It's so scary to think that people are actually capable of doing this to a poor defensless creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Hate hate HATE this time of year!

I have one dog who is terrified of the bangers and spends every night in October cowering under duvets, and one who I can't trust not to pick up the bangers that get thrown into the garden :mad:

So stressful on them and me! Go away Halloween!

I know L.D. It breaks my heart. I do my living best not to think about it but I cant help it and there are times when I hate the world because of the cruelty and suffering that goes on in it.
    Your dog will get better with time and lots of love and security. How long have you had her? I have had Millie for a year and a half and its really only now that she is totally confident in herself. I have had Max for almost eight weeks and, although he is much happier and outgoing now than he was, he still has a way to go.
    I am terrified, like the last poster, of people throwing a firework or banger into my garden. It's worrying me every day when my dogs are out while I am at work. I never have them out in the garden after dark.
    I can't understand why a time like Halloween has to pose such a threat to animals - it should be outlawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Was actually going to post about this after hearing and seeing numerous fireworks being let off in different areas today.

I am really baffled as to why somebody would want to attach fireworks to animals - it's horrendous. If they did it to another person there'd be ructions and up in court, but unfortunately the injured animal can't tell anyone who did it to them, so they just walk away without any punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

I hate his time of year. I have a female here that had a banger thrown at her when she was only 14 months old, previous owner let her out the front garden during the day...She now chases her tail and urinates her self when she hears fireworks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I've never understood why people feel the need to throw bangers at animals.
    How is it amusing to know you've hurt or killed something that couldn't defend itself against you? Or how is it funny to injure someone's pet? :mad:

If you want to have fun at Halloween, stuff yourself with sweets or dress up - you don't have to throw eggs or try to kill something :rolleyes:
    The celebrations are usually completely tarnished by eejits being stupid, which is a shame.

Good idea to sticky the thread to remind people to keep their pets safe. I'll keep an eye out for any animals wandering around by themselves, just in case I can do anything to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

phasers wrote: »
    Hate hate HATE this time of year!

I have one dog who is terrified of the bangers and spends every night in October cowering under duvets, and one who I can't trust not to pick up the bangers that get thrown into the garden :mad:

So stressful on them and me! Go away Halloween!
    Go away yobs at Halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A few years ago I was walking my dogs & saw someone lighting a firework in a field of cows. As I got closer a local farmer approached & asked if anything was wrong. I said that the fireworks were terrifying the cattle. He replied that it was OK as they were his cows !.

Loads of fireworks going off, my dog is looking very spooked. I'm hoping for rain so there won't be as many bangers/fireworks.

Thank Gog its nearly over for another year. I took my two dogs away for the weekend to a cottage in the country in Donegal - not a banger for miles! Only just arrived home and the worst seems to be over. I really hate Halloween!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We honestly must have the most laid back dog ever (Brodi, Boxer, 1yr)

She hasn't even flinched for the last few weeks when fireworks have occasionally gone off, tonight my wife and i stood on the drive watching the fireworks go off around us and Brodi climbed onto the window to watch, crying that she wasn't with us.

Went inside, put her lead on and she stood watching with us, it was so funny watching her little face move every time a firework went into the air. She really wasn't at all bothered with the bangs, even now she's sat in the window watching them go off!!

None were withing 300 yards of us so they wernt that close.

She even played wit the trick or treaters and was amazed with sparklers

I know that most of your dogs are petrified and i really hope that they're not too stressed.

Advertisement