Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Concrete wall

• 20-09-2010 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Just removing the old paint from the walls of a room that is rarely used... I know that I am meant to use primer/sealer and then use standard wallpaint, but is there any cheap paint I could just lash up on it. I say a 5litre tub of emulsion in Homebase for cheap, what would happen if I put this up without primer.... (dont want to waste good paint and money on a room that is hardly ever used.. cheapest/quickest solution required)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

are you talking about a solid plastered wall?

if this wall had paint on it already i would imagine you wont need to seal it again.

but if you would like get some cheap paint as an undercoat .

and try and match the paint to the colour closest to the final colour.

( why are you removing the paint. can you not paint over it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hi, and firstly thanks for your response..

wall.jpg

This is a section of the wall that I have stripped.. It's just a normal plastered wall I think..

There was a lot of damage to the wallpaper that was there, lot of sections that were bare... There was no easy option.. painting over was not realistically possible. I've pulled off most of the paint at this stage so I guess it's a moot point..

ddi you strip the wall paper that was painted over?

if there was wallpaper on it previously i reckon it would be grand to paint straight to it.

i would still go with a cheap under coat. as the wall will be darker than i light colour . and you will more than likely need at least 2 coats anyway.

Do you think that's what it is i.e. wallpaper that was painted over? To be honest it was hard for me to tell.. All I can tell you for sure is that this is what is underneath, so if I could find something cheap to just cover that wall it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If there's been wallpaper there before, or if there's been paint bonded to it before, it should be ok to just slap the paint on over it. Get some cheap emulsion similar to or slightly brighter than the final paint as an under coat

• Advertisement

Do you think that's what it is i.e. wallpaper that was painted over? To be honest it was hard for me to tell.. All I can tell you for sure is that this is what is underneath, so if I could find something cheap to just cover that wall it would be great.

if it came off in strips. or if you were able to peel it off with your fingers i would imagine it was wall paper or even lining paper that was painted over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

No need for an actual primer/sealer. A waste of money in fact.
    You want a thinned down coat of matt emulsion (80/20 paint/water) if it's definitely skimcoat (plaster) or the same consistency of masonry paint if it's a concrete render (hard to tell from your pic).
    Then you want two coats of the same paint on top (without thinning) as a finish.
    Word to the wise; cheap paint is a false economy...lower solid/pigment content means having to apply more of the product and/or additional coats.

Firstly I used to know the guy that worked on this, and he "improvised" if you know what I mean. Having spent another while finishing off the stripping (not easy), it seems that there was wallpaper on the wall, which was painted over.. but it seems like he put filler over parts of the wallpaper (not sure why) and painted straight over it..

But thanks for the advice.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Filler is used to hide the seams in the lining paper. It's a cheap and cheerful way of fixing poor quality walls.

Advertisement