Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie MTB spin - 9th Oct

• 20-09-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Following on from a the thread gauging interest in a bit of a get together / boards.ie MTB spin I'm going to propose the following.

2708756341_0bc96bc903.jpg

Date: Saturday 9th Oct 2010

Time: ~10.30am

Where: Ballyhoura MTB Trails

Fitness / Skill require: NA open to people of all abilities

Right oh there are the details be great to get a few heads together and have a bit of craic.

The idea of the day would be to have as much fun as possible and be as all inclusive as possible so that you MTB pros and those just starting out can all enjoy themselves.

I know that anyone Dublin based Ballyhoura seems like a bit of a trek but in reality its not much over two hours drive from Dublin as its motorway most of the way there. Also as its a Saturday it gives you the option of staying down the night having a few drinks and hitting the trails again on the Sunday.

If you are a roadie and would like to come along that's cool to, there is MTB bike rental on site, if there are more than one or two interested I will try my best to get a bit of a deal on bike rental.

DSC00054.jpg

For anyone who has never been to Ballyhoura its savage craic and as the trails are designed to be all weather they don't suffer too much even when the rain pours down. There are shower facilities on site as well as a bike wash and even Tea / Coffee facilities.

Perhaps later in the year we might sort a spin for Wicklow but until then be great to see the east coast based riders travel and I'm sure those closer to Ballyhoura will travel to Wicklow for that spin.

Look forward to see ye there.

Adrian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Date: Saturday 19th Oct 2010

erm, Presuming you mean the 16th of October no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

nereid wrote: »
    erm, Presuming you mean the 16th of October no?

Ahhhhhhh too many date and confusion in my very busy Outlook calendar.

I meant the 9th of Oct.

I'll ask one of the mods to change the thread title.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Clash with the first round of the Stevens Supercross Cup..... ! might impact on numbers a bit...

http://mtbireland.com/cyclocross/page.php?3

Do that many boards.ie race CX?

Is there many folks interested in this spin afterall?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Sounds good to me - and do-able, anyone from south east going? Be aware that the Limerick road from above Clonmel is closed at present so you have to cut up the M8 to Cashel, then on to Tipp Town that way. Keep us posted if it's going ahead ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Cant make it:(got a wedding in dublin on the saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Do that many boards.ie race CX?

Is there many folks interested in this spin afterall?
    I think it looks a bit bare in here because people who expressed interest in the preliminary thread didn't do so here. No harm in saying it again - if it goes ahead I'll try to be there (only 40mins away for me).

Suggestion - Brown and some or all of the white loop would allow several break-off points for different levels of fitness and off road ability. I'd encourage people to do at least some of the white - If you only do the brown you miss out on some of nice bits of track. There's options to do 25%, 50% and 100% of the what the white loop adds onto the brown. There's probably people here who would breeze around the blue or the red, but I won't be joining them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I would do this but I'm working that weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Only saw this thread now... I'm up for this if its going ahead, is it going ahead? I'd be up for the brown trail with plenty of 'photo stops'...

Hey,

After doing the climb to the mast at last weeks Marathon race I doubt most folks what that experience, will be a nice rec ride with no savagery.

Be nice to get a few more folks on board so rally your friends to reply if they are interested.

A

• Advertisement

If its going ahead I reckon it should be a spin rather than a hammer fest... I'm thinking brown route so newbies are comfy, lazy bikes like me are happy and speedys can bomb it...

If its going ahead I reckon it should be a spin rather than a hammer fest... I'm thinking brown route so newbies are comfy, lazy bikes like me are happy and speedys can bomb it...

100% With you on that!

I've only been to Ballyhoura a few times but I reckon the Brown ( have a wee rest / food stop) where the white starts some heads lash quickly around that first bit white with the bomb holes and big burms are.

Then all finish the brown together, all fun day out with no egos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

are you doing the full course, what are the climbs like, never been to Ballyhoura, reason i ask is i am just reovered from a knee injury? cheers

empirix wrote: »
    are you doing the full course, what are the climbs like, never been to Ballyhoura, reason i ask is i am just recovered from a knee injury? cheers

Hi,

We wouldn't be doing the full course at all, that would test even the seasoned riders. There are no real mega long hard climbs that go on forever. The thing I like about Ballyhoura is you climb for a short bit on the fire road, get to single track take a moment to get the breath back if you need it, lash down the single track back. Return to fire road and repeat.

At any stage it's very easy just shorten the loop you are on. Also I can't stress enough how this is not a hammerfest or a cross mountain savage spin, its totally social and to have a bit of a laugh. Thats not to say folks can't lash down the descents as fast as they like.

I will make sure no one is left at the back on their tod on a climb feeling like they want to die.

Fun day out, remember MTB is savage fun.

A

Definately up for the brown - casual ride! Sadly it will be the last time I'm out on the mountain bike as it's being traded in against my 2011 Trek 1.5 - will be a nice way to finish up as long as I don't mangle it!!! - so is it 1030 in the car park @ ballyhoura? anyone in Waterford looking for lift I have room for 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i might be in, gonna test myself again on the stoe next week, 2 weeks ago was tough going on the knee and indeed on the stamina, a day i wont forget for a while, kinda worried me, hopefully the knee will hold up better and i can work on stamina, cheers

Fantastic!
    I thought this was gonna pass off as another goodideatobedonesomeothertime...

The brown route takes 2/3 hours and is tech enough to make you smile but well within everyones ability. For the most part the climbing is done on fire roads so may make you sweat but will be no challenge the rest is smiles all round were everyone goes at their own pace.

Anyone else fancy joining in? All welcome from first timers with questions to experenced mtbers with answers...
    No bike? no problem!
    There is a rental service on site and they are a great bunch of lads so now is the perfect chance to get that boards gear nice and dirty!!!

Fantastic!
    I thought this was gonna pass off as another goodideatobedonesomeothertime...

Nope this is still all go for this weekend, remember all abilities and fitness welcome.

Even superstars of the MTB world like Mr Sherlock are welcome to :)

A

I'll be there in a big grey Nissan Vannette Cargo with a Waterford Reg - you won't miss it - it looks like i'm there to sell carpets !

I shall be in a very euro alfa, but ye'll prob see the boards jersey first...

• Advertisement

Just for good measure I did a wee recce today for Saturdays spin...

06102010178.jpg

Brought my mate out for his first time Mountain Biking, we took in the Brown and some of the White route.

Savage day with some fantastic winter sun.

A

A mate of mine said she want to come too, its going to be her first time out on the trails so make sure your all nice to her.
    I'll make sure she brings cake...

Can I rub my thighs like Vic Reeves does in Shooting Stars?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rapidmike

hi guys ,been dozing and just spotted this thread.Will see ye there on sat morning hopefully with one or two more ..
    im local but have only done the brown route and have wrangled the day out of the missus and would love do one of the longer routes ie. brown or blue .Would there be any interest in two groups one starting a bit earlier and finishing at the same time ??? or is that pushing it??

aquanaut wrote: »
    Can I rub my thighs like Vic Reeves does in Shooting Stars?

I'm sure my life is richer for having no idea what that means....:)

@Rapid
    I reckon the plan is to the the brown and maybe a bit of the white but the pace will be casual enough so if your looking for a bigger day go for it... all good.

I reckon its good just to hook up over coffee and cake, trade stories and tips and hopefully if all goes well perhaps do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I cant make saturday as i have a wedding but ill be up there on monday at about 12 for a spin so if anyone else can't make saturday their more than welcome to tag along:)

So whats the plan for the morn, on the saddles for the off @ 10:30 or meet @ 10:30 and head when ppl are ready, I'm not pushed just dont want to be late is all....

Tomorrow
    Generally dry tomorrow Saturday with partly cloudy skies. Some bright or sunny periods developing after a cloudy, misty start. But there will be some rain at times in the southwest. Top temperatures 16 to 21 degrees - highest in western areas and feeling warm in sunshine there, with a fresh easterly breeze.

Hey,

Meet at 10.30am and hopefully be off by 11.00 at the latest, that should allow for procrastination / plan making and introductions. :)

A

Perfect, see ye then, I'll be the one brewing fresh coffee in the car park, if anyone wants some bring a mug (I'm serious)

bite-of-coffee-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

wahey, thought I might have to come in to work and do some hours for free, but they've lost the equipment I need. So I can mountain bike Saturday and tear my hair out Monday trying to make up lost time...
    Old blue mazda estate, worth less than a decent bike, see ye there..

If you are coming from the Limerick or Charleville side - the turn-off up the hill to the trail centre after Ardpatrick is signposted but is easily missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

I cant make saturday as i have a wedding but ill be up there on monday at about 12 for a spin so if anyone else can't make saturday their more than welcome to tag along:)

I can't make it due to a wedding also. Stop stealing my excuses.
    Pity I was really looking forward to this outing. Everyone have a great day out.

Brokey downy jeep puts me as a no show for tomorrow, bad times.

Will be there on Sunday if anyone one is about.

Enjoy who ever makes it tomorrow, should be a good day.

Sorry.

Adrian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Brokey downy jeep puts me as a no show for tomorrow, bad times.

Where do you live Adrian? Wonder could we arrange a lift for you?

Pity as you seem to be the organiser/driving force for this spin.

I'm in Kilkenny (City)

I don't think anyone is passing this way, shame but sure I'll make the next one for sure.

I'm just across the "border" in Laois. Any chance yo could make it that far in the morning?

• Advertisement

Could prob get to Johnstown / Urlingford alright just off the motor way if thats the way your going?

where in Kilkenny - coming up from Waterford in a van - actually will PM ye

Do you want me to pick you up - could spin up M9 - actually won't take any extra time

It would be an awful shame if you miss it. I'm in Cork City tonight so no use to you for a spin but I can chuck knobblies on my hack and you can borrow my rockhopper if you cant get your bike down...

Johnstown / Urlingfor would be fine for me. Coming from Abbeyleix so I'll be passing through both. I have room for another bike too.

• Advertisement

Hey,

It looks like I am going to the dance afterall, aquanut it going to sort me out. He can pass by mine on his way.

Cheers for the other offer Suoerfreak.

Adrian

That's great. I did'nt fancy dipping into Kilkenny as it was in the wrong direction for me but if you could have come a couple of KM across I would have gladly brought you the rest of the way.

Chapeau Aquanaut :pac:

Well done Aqua.... you gonna bring him back too?:D

Great to meet ye all. Very lucky with the weather, I reckon it all worked out very well, sorry about the coffee, I'll be on time next outing:o
    To those who stuck to the brown route, ye missed my acrobatic display and attempt to be the first human to fly unaided, and it would have worked too only for gravity kicking in at the most undesirable time... So a bit sore at the moment, more funny than anything tbh, roll on the next one!

Great spin today.....I really like the white route:D Even though I died a death between 25 and 30K, I managed to get my second, second wind for the last 5K

Hats off to thebouldwhacker. His crash seemed to last for about 10 seconds and cover about 10 feet, but he got up and kept going without complaint. Respect !!

Here's my Garmin report from the day for anyone who might be interested...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52309662

Click to enbiggen.....Mind your eyes though....myself and thebouldwhhacker after our spin today :cool:

boardsballyhora.th.jpg

Nice one for the link, great biking with you today gotta do it again, I might take a more mature approch at the jumps next time:o

Yeah - yesterday was a brilliant day - feeling it now, took a sumersault myself about 2km from the end - front wheel wedged between exit of boardwalk and rock - straight over the handlebars and down the ravine - many thanks to the ferns below me for softening that one. Many many thanks to BoldWhacker, Super Freak, Rapid Mike and especially AdrianShanahan for the Full Metal Jacket drill seargant work - was an epic epic day - Mike - won't forget I have your gloves! (Hope I didn't leave anyone out there). Good to put names to faces as well (sorry - vice versa)

Good spin lads,

Always nice to get out on the bike, in fairness to aquanut (aka Mike) he took a big olde spill and had me worried for a second when I say him literally bale off the bike down the ravine.

I would say drill segregate sounds far far to tough, think of it as more "encouragement".

Fair play to the lads who did the full white as I hate that climb back up the fire road to get back to the log.

Massive props to aquanut for picking me up, I owe ya one.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rapidmike

hi guys
    Super day ,was sorry i didnt allow more time to do the rest of the white route, must do again soon !!!it all looks so much different in the daylight..
    Thanks to adrian for organising and GETTING THERE !!hope sunday was good for you.
    aquanaut keep the gloves as a reminder of a tough day out and i will see you on the hills again
    superfreak and thebouldwacker sorry i missed the wipe out must bring a vid cam next time
    rapidmike

aquanaut wrote: »
    yesterday was a brilliant day

So you still gonna sell your mtb?

• Advertisement
Advertisement