Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder in Arden View??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Very litle known so far. http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-dies-after-tullamore-stabbing-474337.html

Im not surprized TBH. Was bound to happen to someone sooner than later.
    Prayers are with is family

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Killed with a pitchfork and all speculation is surrounding a crowd from Arden View and a seperate crowd from the halting site beside the train station. The hospital and most shops were allegedly advised by Gardai to keep their doors locked because they wouldn't be safe outside.

All of this was reported back from someone that works over there and I can't stand by the legitimacy of anything thats above.

All I can say is that my thoughts are with the family of the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Just heard on Midlands103 that around 100 people turned up at the hospital!! :eek: Obviously to do with the injured party being treated there.

What the hell is going on in the town lately, shootings, stabbings, bloody hell! :mad:

I was out doing the school run, and there is a huge garda presence around the town. We normally shortcut through Arden View, but the end near Dolans shop is cordoned off, across from the green near the community centre.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    What the hell is going on in the town lately, shootings, stabbings, bloody hell! :mad:
    For a town that seems to peaceful (if you forget danger bay* on a Saturday night) it sure is getting a name for some serious attacks
    Cherrycola wrote: »
    I was out doing the school run, and there is a huge garda presence around the town. We normally shortcut through Arden View, but the end near Dolans shop is cordoned off, across from the green near the community centre.
    I've heard reports of armed and unmarked cops all over the town. Its bizarre.

*Danger bay = Supermacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Quazzie wrote: »

I've heard reports of armed and unmarked cops all over the town. Its bizarre.

Not that bizarre. There have been a number of armed checkpoints across Laois/Offaly in previous months.

Anyone know the reason for this stabbing? Drugs? Ethnic feuds?

• Advertisement

Some kind of stand off between two crowds (I won't call them gangs as people might think the wrong thing) where one crowd originated in the halting site and another in Arden.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

The town i grew up in,is certainly not the same town anymore! After been away the weekend and coming back to this..:( not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

It was only a matter of time that this happened, sadly, as tullamore has been tough since my harrier days.
    I dont go out there anymore as a result of it...

Back on topic.
    Does anyone know if the person who died is from arden view or the halting site?

God help the family and friends anyway...

Quazzie wrote: »
    Some kind of stand off between two crowds (I won't call them gangs as people might think the wrong thing) where one crowd originated in the halting site and another in Arden.
    Usual so I suppose. Funnily enough, a man had his throat cut in Port Laoise on Saturday afternoon. Hardly related, but it just shows how violence is escalating.

Just spotted this now:
    A man died in hospital in Co Offaly today after he was stabbed during an altercation involving up to 10 people.

Three men were arrested after gardaí were called to the incident on the Arden View housing estate in Tullamore, shortly after 11am.

The victim, a man in his 20s, was rushed to Tullamore General Hospital, where he died a short time later.

The men are being detained at Tullamore Garda Station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act. A garda spokesman said investigations were continuing.

The suspects are believed to be living on a halting site in the town. It is understood the row was not part of any ongoing feud among families.

Councillor Brendan Killeavy, a Sinn Féin member of Tullamore Town Council, said the dead man was from a quiet family and his killing has left the community in shock.

“They are a very very quiet family and are well respected in Arden View and well liked,” he said.

“They have never given a bit of trouble and keep themselves to themselves. This has come completely out of the blue. We’re shocked and devastated.

“It’s a sad day for Tullamore and for his family.” Extra gardaí have been drafted in to the midlands town, where the atmosphere is said to be tense.

Mr Killeavy called on the community to support gardaí to make sure there are no other incidents.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0920/breaking25.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Antisocialnerd

yeah i saw four guards at the halting site as i came home from work their were keeping watch i presume in case of retaliation it won't be the last murder in tullamore i expect another quite soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

there was a gun shot at the hospital

Gardai are supposed to be out in force, I saw an unmarked Mondeo leaving Port Laoise this evening heading in the direction of Tullamore so I'd say their resources are likely to be concentrated there throughout the night and following days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Victim has been named as 28yr old Derek McDonagh
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0920/tullamore.html

Sounds like it's gonna be a tense night in Tullamore, huge garda presence, retaliations are expected

Very sad to hear this. When I read story this morning I was expecting to hear that it happened last night (drink fuelled violence or something) but it was 10am and sounds like it was maybe premeditated?

Scary stuff

Listening to the news tonight it said that the victim was on the way back from feeding horses that they had on land behind arden view, when another family of travellers attacked the jeep, armed with weapons.

It is very sad, they said he had one child and his wife is heavily pregnant. One family left for Galway but the other family is still in town.

At accident and emergency tonight with a friend, and there was 2 guards standing outside the doors.

Feel very sad for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Very sad. We passed the hospital at around 12ish. There was a Garda directing traffic and questioning everyone who was turning in to the hospital. Parked up at the top of the town to get some milk, saw a unmarked car and garda car go screaming past. A friend in Marian Place said the whole town is covered in Gardai.

Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭PaulieG

there was a gun shot at the hospital

That rumour spread like wildfire today but it never happened.

That guys family are actually really nice people. I don't think they've ever been in trouble.

That guys family are actually really nice people. I don't think they've ever been in trouble.

It's horrible for the family. Don't know them but no doubt there will be countless rumours about what happened, it's hard enough to lose a member of your family and these circumstances just make it worse.

My thoughts are with them.

Listening to the news tonight it said that the victim was on the way back from feeding horses that they had on land behind arden view, when another family of travellers attacked the jeep, armed with weapons.

It is very sad, they said he had one child and his wife is heavily pregnant. One family left for Galway but the other family is still in town.

At accident and emergency tonight with a friend, and there was 2 guards standing outside the doors.

Feel very sad for the family.
    What do you mean one family left for Galway...is that where they're from?

Rang home there and my brother said it had something to do with horses in a field???

Poor family must be going through hell, so sad that a man is taken from his wife and kids like that. Word is that he was a decent fella

• Advertisement

It said on RTE news tonight that one of the families left tullamore for galway but the situation was still "tense".

I didn't know the guy who was killed, but I know his dad and one of his sisters, and his dad is an absolute gentleman.

Apparently his wife is heavily pregnant too. Heres hoping she'll be okay.

I hope those responsible are suffer for this. They should be put away for a good stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

something must have happened to provoke this?

mike kelly wrote: »
    something must have happened to provoke this?

Read today that it is not an ongoing feud but "arose out of something simple".

Terrible that this was the result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0921/1224279367715.html?via=rel
    GARDAÍ ARE preparing to prevent any further violence between feuding factions in the midlands after a man was stabbed to death and armed gardaí had to be drafted in to prevent the opposing factions from fighting in a local hospital.

The man killed yesterday has been named locally as Derek McDonagh (28), a married father of one. Mr McDonagh, whose wife is heavily pregnant with the couple’s second child, was fatally stabbed at the Arden View estate in Tullamore town, Co Offaly, where he lived.

A member of the Travelling community, his killing is being linked by gardaí to tensions between rival Traveller factions in Tullamore.

The Irish Times understands Mr McDonagh was one of five people who had a violent dispute with the occupants of a pick-up truck at Arden View at about 11am yesterday. Mr McDonagh was fatally stabbed in the row, during which pickaxes and shovels were used.

Gardaí believe three men, two from a halting site close to Tullamore train station and one from Galway, had gone to check on horses that were grazing on land close to Arden View.

The pick-up vehicle the three were travelling in went through Arden View after the occupants had tended to the horses.

A violent disturbance, witnessed by a large number of local residents, ensued as an armed group from Arden View came into conflict with those in the vehicle. It appears the row concerned the fact the three men in the vehicle were grazing their horses in the Arden View area.

Supt John Moloney of Tullamore Garda station said there had been a few minor incidents between the parties in the lead up to the fatal attack. He said the McDonagh family had caused no problems for gardaí in the area. “The McDonagh family never caused us bother over the years here. They are here for years,” he said.

The man believed to have fatally stabbed Mr McDonagh was wounded during the incident and was taken for treatment to the same hospital as his victim was.

This led to two rival factions, one aligned to Mr McDonagh and one to his alleged killer, gathering at the hospital, some armed with implements.

The Garda’s armed regional support unit was drafted into the hospital to ensure the rival factions were kept apart.

The scene of the killing at Arden View was sealed off yesterday and underwent an examination by members of the Garda Technical Bureau.

A number of shops and other businesses in the area closed for several hours.

The Irish Times understands the family of the murder suspect yesterday left Tullamore for Tuam, Co Galway, in an effort to defuse tensions.

Gardaí investigating the murder have arrested three men. They are being detained at Tullamore Garda station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

A number of weapons including pickaxes, shovels and a knife which is believed to be the murder weapon have been recovered.

The Irish Times also had this on the breaking news part of the site tonight

A man has been charged with the murder of a father of one who was stabbed outside his parents’ home yesterday morning.
    Richard Donovan (22) of the Unofficial Halting Site, Kilcruttin, Tullamore appeared before a special sitting of Tullamore District Court tonight.

Det Sgt John Walsh said that when charged at 5.02pm today, Donovan replied “I’m sorry for what I done.”

Donovan sat between two gardaí during the hearing which lasted just minutes. He did not raise his head or speak.

No bail application was made and he was granted legal aid. He will appear at Cloverhill District Court on Friday.

There was a crowd of several dozen people gathered outside the courthouse grounds, mostly in a car park and park across from the building where the hearing took place. There was a significant garda presence.

Derek McDonagh of Callery St, Tullamore was visiting his parents Anthony and Teresa at their home when the altercation which gardaí say involved up to ten men took place in broad daylight just yards from a busy primary school.

One of ten children, he died shortly after being taken to hospital with stab wounds sustained in the assault which happened at around 11am. His wife Kathleen is expecting their second child.

A mobile home was set on fire in the Kilcruttin halting site just hours after Mr McDonagh’s death.

A post mortem was carried out by State Pathologist Marie Cassidy yesterday evening and the body was released to Mr McDonagh’s family tonight.

His removal will take place tomorrow.

Two other men who were in custody since the incident were released without charge and files have been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Arden View seems to be a nice place - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LdsY0YOB8Q

Arden View seems to be a nice place - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LdsY0YOB8Q
    Hardly appropiate yeah it has a reputation but from news reports the man murdered didn't even live there and the travellers that had horses in area were from Tuam

Anyway whoever recorded this obviously done so for effect and was part of everything going on, it's not a third party observation so it's hardly a realistic representation of the estate

A man has died and left a wife and 2kids try to have some tact

Considering half those clips are not even filmed in Ardan, this seems irrelevant.

As usual the ordinary decent residents of the area are the losers. The Indo has a good hacket job of a story which bears little relevance other than to paint the place as some kind of Southill or Moyross.
    THE Tullamore housing estate where Derek McDonagh was killed has been the scene of a number of violent incidents.

In April, a shot was fired through the bedroom window of a house in Arden View, one of a series of attacks around the area at the time.
    The violence prompted gardai to step up patrols and operate a number of armed checkpoints.

At one stage the chairman of Tullamore Town Council threatened to evict trouble-making families following three separate gun attacks in the town in a nine day period.

In June of last year, residents had to be evacuated from their homes when a suspicious device was found in the housing estate.
    The Defence Forces defused the viable device.
    Highly violent scenes from the estate have been recorded and posted on YouTube.

Teenagers are seen beating each other up in fist fights, one of which involves a male repeatedly hitting another juvenile while he lies on the ground.

Cars are also filmed speeding in green areas, while there are also videos of cars burning, windows being smashed, and gardai arriving on the scene.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/housing-estate-has-history-of-violent-incidents-2347715.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

That Indo report would be laughable if it wasnt such a crock of sh1t! :mad:

I have two very good friends from Arden View, and you could not meet nicer guys! Never in the time ive known them have either of them been involved in any sort of trouble or fist fights, burning cars and the like. There families are respectable hard working people, their houses are immaculate inside and out.
    I walk through Arden View everyday on my walk, ive never seen anything close to what that video depicts. :mad:
    I went to school in St Josephs, as did most people from the Arden end of town, and while the estate did have a bit of a reputation back then(for nothing more than schoolboy pranks really) there was never real violence or trouble.
    Ive never felt unsafe in the estate.

I feel really sorry for the residents there now, who have worked hard over the years to improve the estate and its reputation, which had worked, and now this happens and they are straight back to square one.
    God help anyone trying to sell a house in there now, and there are a few. :(

Advertisement