Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder in Arden View??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I know a man who grew up in Arden, he's a hardworking decent guy. It's just a pity that some want to portray the area as a slum when its clearly not the truth. I'm sure there are bad eggs, but the media chooses to ignore the huge amount of good work put into the estate.

Everytime something happens, they're always quick to brand an estate as this or that, while ignoring the real issues which lead to these events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Well in fairness guys, it or chancery arnt the most desired estates in town.
    Being honest like. Everywhere has nice people, even Moyross. Before people jump down my neck, i have a very good friend in Arden View, a neighbour who used to live there and an old work collegue. The 3 of them absolute gents. Just because i know a nice person in there dosnt mean its a beautiful place. I also know of addicts and rough cnuts from there. Its wrong for them to make it out like Moyross or something but lets face it, its no beverly hills either. Its not called Arden Zoo for all the cute animals running around.
    Its a shame the rep its gotten and i do feel sorry for the ordinary hardworking people from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Yeah, plus 1 on what Dusty said.

It isn't a nice place. No matter how many decent people live there, it isn't a nice place because of the few bad eggs who gives it its bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Ah yeah, i think we're all aware of what the estate is like, but to make out that the place is awash with asbo-types causing trouble 24/7 is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least.

To be honest, it had a better rep over the last few years than some other estates that i wont mention.....not too far from Tesco! :P

Yeah, plus 1 on what Dusty said.

It isn't a nice place. No matter how many decent people live there, it isn't a nice place because of the few bad eggs who gives it its bad name.

That was a quick edit......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Cherrycola wrote: »
    That Indo report would be laughable if it wasnt such a crock of sh1t! :mad:

I have two very good friends from Arden View, and you could not meet nicer guys! Never in the time ive known them have either of them been involved in any sort of trouble or fist fights, burning cars and the like. There families are respectable hard working people, their houses are immaculate inside and out.
    I walk through Arden View everyday on my walk, ive never seen anything close to what that video depicts. :mad:
    I went to school in St Josephs, as did most people from the Arden end of town, and while the estate did have a bit of a reputation back then(for nothing more than schoolboy pranks really) there was never real violence or trouble.
    Ive never felt unsafe in the estate.

I feel really sorry for the residents there now, who have worked hard over the years to improve the estate and its reputation, which had worked, and now this happens and they are straight back to square one.
    God help anyone trying to sell a house in there now, and there are a few. :(

you've never seen any trouble so it must be fine...are you female by any chance?

A few from Arden were involved in the estate near tesco too. I presume your talking about Chancery

@storminamug, i seen your post before ya edited;) +1

mike kelly wrote: »
    you've never seen any trouble so it must be fine...are you female by any chance?

Whats that got to do with it? :confused:

Ive spent a lot of time in Arden View over the years, worked in the shop down there too back in the day, nights too, halloween, school holidays, and never saw anything like was described in that report.

To make out like the WHOLE estate is a no go area, with junkies shooting up outside the school, and drive by shootings is the biggest pile of crap ive ever heard! And disrespectful to the 90% decent people living there.

Whats that got to do with it? :confused:

Ive spent a lot of time in Arden View over the years, worked in the shop down there too back in the day, nights too, halloween, school holidays, and never saw anything like was described in that report.

To make out like the WHOLE estate is a no go area, with junkies shooting up outside the school, and drive by shootings is the biggest pile of crap ive ever heard! And disrespectful to the 90% decent people living there.

I knew it! that's women for you

I knew it! that's women for you

If anything dont you think a woman would be the first person to feel unsafe in a dodgy area of town? So how about you contribute something of value to the debate, rather than a stupid " Wimmin dont know nuttin, yeah" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not sure about shooting up but the younger crowd defo drink there and smoke weed. Used for that for a long time.

dont you think a woman would be the first person to feel unsafe in a dodgy area of town?

no, I don't

That used to happen in the bike shed at the SHS too, and im sure its happening in Arden Vale, Droim Liath, Carraig Cluain, Eiscir etc etc. :D

Wasn't the shop in Arden View closed down because they kept robbing it??

no, I don't

Fair enough, your opinion, i have mine, which thankfully i can put into words, rather than one line retorts. :rolleyes:

Wasn't the shop in Arden View closed down because they kept robbing it??

Probably more to do with the crowd that took if over and had no business experience in that field.

That used to happen in the bike shed at the SHS too, and im sure its happening in Arden Vale, Droim Liath, Carraig Cluain, Eiscir etc etc. :D

Ya forgot the pitches at the brothers. Usually that though was a few of the harmless harrier crowd.
    I have to agree with mike about lad thing though. Although i was never a girl. Im sure a few girls have gotten a happy slapping, i just know of lads though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

with junkies shooting up outside the school, .

wasn't there a few thousand euros worth of cannibas found in the school grounds a few years ago.

i work in tullamore and have worked on a few projects close to ardan "zoo" and the few rotten eggs make sure the whole area keeps its name and reputation. They are still a nightmare around the place.

Probably more to do with the crowd that took if over and had no business experience in that field.

What field? Security cameras and safes :D

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Ya forgot the pitches at the brothers. Usually that though was a few of the harmless harrier crowd.
    I have to agree with mike about lad thing though. Although i was never a girl. Im sure a few girls have gotten a happy slapping, i just know of lads though

Ive got brothers, and as ive already said, friends down there, and they wouldnt be big hard men either that people would stay away from, they just never let themselves get involved in that sort of behaviour.

Maybe its only outsiders they happy slap?! :P The ones from the posh side of town who probably need a good slap! :D

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    What field? Security cameras and safes :D

I dont think it was the shoplifters that put them out of business, they just hadnt a clue how to run a shop. ;)

The ones from the posh side of town who probably need a good slap! :D
    I know you're joking, but I went to St. Philomena's and I was actually bullied by the Arden View girls because I was "stuck up".
    I was the furthest thing from being stuck up, let me tell you. I was just shy, and new. And one of them tried intimidate me throughout 1st and 2nd year in the SHS too, until I punched her in the face.

Now when I meet her out, she couldn't be nicer.

And just before i get back to real life, its been reported that the murdered man was from Callery Street, and the alleged murderer was from Kilcruttin, so really the only thing Arden View has to do with the situation is the location of the altercation. He happened to be there, visiting his parents or checking on horses grazing in the area, whichever is to be believed.
    This could easily have happened on Clara Road, Kilbride Street, O Molloy Street, Rahan Road, depending where they happened to run into this man.
    Would any of those locations be highlighted in the same way as Arden View had that been the case??

The point is cherrycola (and i know there are lots of nice people in arden view too), it was only a matter of time before someone was killed there.

Whats the chance of retaliation over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

really the only thing Arden View has to do with the situation is the location of the altercation. He happened to be there, checking on horses grazing in the area,
    I've lived in an estate all my life, and not once have I looked out my window and seen horses grazing.

Join the dots.

I know you're joking, but I went to St. Philomena's and I was actually bullied by the Arden View girls because I was "stuck up".
    I was the furthest thing from being stuck up, let me tell you. I was just shy, and new. And one of them tried intimidate me throughout 1st and 2nd year in the SHS too, until I punched her in the face.

Now when I meet her out, she couldn't be nicer.

I went to St Philomenas too, and SHS, and would have been considered to be stuck up too because of where i lived, and i was shy and quiet too.

But i just gave as good as i got. I wouldnt base my opinion of a whole estate on a bad experience i had with one or two people that lived there though.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I've lived in an estate all my life, and not once have I looked out my window and seen horses grazing.

Join the dots.

Ok so they werent checking on horses, or were driving through coming back from checking horses somewhere else, were visiting parents, whatever, it doesnt change the fact that he wasnt from Arden View and neither was the alleged murderer.

The fight just broke out there, according to the reports.

Or are you trying to say the horses is a cover story and there is some kind of land war/protection racket based around Arden View, that would make the location a central part of the story??

I dont believe the estate itself has any relevance to the story, as neither parties live there.

If someone gets stabbed in Charleville next week, because two rival parties happen to meet there and get into an altercation, does that make Charleville partly to blame for the stabbing? Hardly, because it doesnt have that kind of rep....but Arden View does, so it obviously attracts fatal stabbings.

Double standards is all im saying. ;)

Quazzie wrote: »

Join the dots.

Cherrycola, join the dots if you are able to

• Advertisement

Cherrycola, join the dots if you are able to

Can i borrow your crayon? :rolleyes:

Advertisement