Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan Out!

• 20-09-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

After watching Wigan yesterday they're now the team (realistically) I want out of the Premiership most.

1. Shocking defence.

2. Pathetic support (just over 15,000 for a home game, 5000 of which were away supporters.

3. N'Zogbia plays for them.

I'm struggling to see any redeming features. Yes Martinez seems a nice guy and it's good to see him back at the club that brought him to England as a player but they're just a horrible outfit.

I'm sure Irish fans want them to stay competitive for James McCarthy's sake but he would probably be snapped up by a Wolves or a Stoke if Wigan went down anyway. Same goes for Rodallega.

So who do you want to go down (again, realistically)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I quite like them. They play football in a positive, attacking manner, and have arguably the best track record of transfers over the past few seasons. I also love their unpredictability. They can lose at home to Blackpool 4-0, and then beat Spurs away.

I take your point on the support though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Id have to agree with ya there.

I'd go with West Ham too, just because I can't stand the owners and the way they go on!

And.....hmmm....

Blackburn, they have to be the most boring club, and Sam Allardyce is a gobshíte suffering from delusions of grandeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

have to agree with your point on their support but in fairness to them they are based in rubgy league heartland which would eat alot into their potential support base! i like watching them never know which way a game could go, and mccarty seems to be progressing nicely with them, they try to play the right way and sometimes thats their downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Yeah, bye bye Wigan, WestHam too, and West Brom. Dont like any of them.

Wigan re a disgrace, they should be filling their stadium.

Dont like those teams.

I wonder how long it will be until someone comes along, doesn't read the OP and goes something like:

Man City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

I wonder how long it will be until someone comes along, doesn't read the OP and goes something like:

Man City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool?

it'd be pretty hard to have not read the OP yet still have that response to a thread entitled Wigan out but i guess we should give it a few pages first...

Wigan used to be the underdogs of the premiership but since they have become established in the top tier that title along with a lot of their likeability imo has gone to other sides like Blackpool this season. They do still however play an attractive form of football and are capable of surprising us with individual performances. This aside i still think id be less bothered about them going down than most other teams atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

They try to play attacking, interesting football, when realistically - based on their squad - they probably shouldn't. It doesn't usually work-out for them but I'd rather they do that than "park the bus". They'll go "out" or survive on their own terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Do Wigan EVER have a full house? Always seems to be tons of empty seats, regardless of the opposition. I was thrilled for them that time Paul Jewell kept them safe on the last day, but I think the Prem wouldnt miss them now....even their new kit is horrible! :p

To fall thru the trap door for me?
    Wigan, Stoke, Blackpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Wigan or Blackburn - don't particularly like eitehr of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Wigan have done brilliantly. Considering they are in a rugby league town and in the catchment area of the 2 main Manchester clubs, it's a fantastic achievement that they have managed to stay in the Premier league for so long.

They were a non league club until the late 70s don't forget,.

They play decent football when they get a chance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I want Wigan and West Ham to go down, not for football reasons, but because Nzogbia plays for one and Sullivan is running the other. Two of the least likeable characters in football today. Reason enough for them two team to go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Wigan re a disgrace, they should be filling their stadium.

Why is it a disgrace? It's a rugby league town and always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

greendom wrote: »
    I think Wigan have done brilliantly. Considering they are in a rugby league town and in the catchment area of the 2 main Manchester clubs, it's a fantastic achievement that they have managed to stay in the Premier league for so long.

With all due respect, and I said it about Blackpool, keep the romance for the cup.

They're a bad side with bad support. I'd rather a Forest or a Leeds back up instead. I was embarrassed for the ten thousand or so that went yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I wouldn't say that their supporters are bad, but only that they do not have enough!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    With all due respect, and I said it about Blackpool, keep the romance for the cup.

They're a bad side with bad support. I'd rather a Forest or a Leeds back up instead. I was embarrassed for the ten thousand or so that went yesterday.
    Wigan are a very well run side financially; Leeds and Forest could/should have learned a thing or 2 from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wigan are a very well run side financially; Leeds and Forest could/should have learned a thing or 2 from them

And I think Dave Whelan is a very likeable chairman.

That's great, and sustainability is of course paramount, but where is it getting them? With no support and a poor team they offer nothing to the league.

I'm not saying they should run themselves into the ground and end up in financial ruin, they're just a bit of a pointless club to have around.

Incidently -
    OptaJoe

0 - Wigan Athletic were the only team in the Premier League who didn't manage a single shot on target this weekend. Lacklustre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

jenno86 wrote: »
    Blackburn, they have to be the most boring club, and Sam Allardyce is a gobshíte suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Nothing against Blackburn as a club but I'd agree with you about Allardyce. You always have the idiots on Sky fawning over him, Big Sam this and Big Sam that.

And maybe I'm missing something but why does everyone seem to hate N'zogbia??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bit rich and arrogant making statements of what clubs belong in the league imo. Just concentrate on your own team. Wigan earned the right to play in the league and until they get relegated then I'm sure the 10-15k fans who do go support the team as much as you and will continue to do so no matter where they end up.

With no support and a poor team they offer nothing to the league.

They deserve credit when you consider where they've come from. Not too long ago they were in the bottom division with the worst ground in England. If you don't remember their old stadium, believe me it was a dump.

What do you mean they 'offer nothing to the league'? Getting taken over by rich Arabs doesn't make your club of greater value to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Johner wrote: »
    And I think Dave Whelan is a very likeable chairman.

I remember Newstalk were interviewing him and talking about his biography. A chapter when he was on about meeting Mike Ashley when Sports Direct were just up and coming. Whelan says in the book "I should have crushed Mike Ashley there and then".:pac:

Someone texted in saying he should have called his autobiography, "Dave Whelan : How I Crushed Them All."

Agree, seems like a nice chap though.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    They deserve credit when you consider where they've come from. Not too long ago they were in the bottom division with the worst ground in England. If you don't remember their old stadium, believe me it was a dump.

What do you mean they 'offer nothing to the league'? Getting taken over by rich Arabs doesn't make your club of greater value to football.

I mean they play bad football and don't have any supporters to form a rivallry with. It's all just a bit pointles.s

Sure they have a nice stadium but what does that matter if it's never filled? Their demographic doesn't help of course but they're punching above their weight imo. On the one hand that's very credible and well done to them for sustaining their status in the top flight, but there are plenty of clubs I'd much rather see in their place (hence the idea for the thread :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd agree with all of this. Plus they gave the likes of Palacios and Valencia their break in England, and they've recruited Figueroa and Rodallega too. They also gave young players like McCarthy and Moses their chance in the top-flight when other clubs wouldn't. At least they don't try to survive in the Premier League by kicking teams off the pitch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stoke - don't see the point of them. I can never remember where it is even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

After watching Liverpool yesterday they're now the team (realistically) I want out of the Premiership most.

1. Shocking defence.

2. Pathetic support (just over 40,000 for a home game, 5000 of which were away supporters.

3. Gerrard plays for them.

I'm struggling to see any redeming features. Yes Hodgson seems a nice guy and it's good to see him at a club in England but they're just a horrible outfit.

I'm sure Brazilian fans want them to stay competitive for Lucas Leiva's sake but he would probably be snapped up by a Wolves or a Stoke if Liverpool went down anyway. Same goes for Torres.

So who do you want to go down (again, realistically)?

Fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd like to Sunderland go down but realistically I'd like to see Stoke go down.

Their style of football is horrible, they rely solely on set plays and I don't think they really play the game in the right way.

Their tactics work yes, but they're horrible to watch.

They do however, have brilliant support.

I mean they play bad football and don't have any supporters to form a rivallry with. It's all just a bit pointles.s

Sure they have a nice stadium but what does that matter if it's never filled? Their demographic doesn't help of course but they're punching above their weight imo. On the one hand that's very credible and well done to them for sustaining their status in the top flight, but there are plenty of clubs I'd much rather see in their place (hence the idea for the thread :))

I know what you mean that the likes of Leeds, Nottingham Forest etc have bigger support and all that but it's good to see that smaller clubs can break into the big time too.

The teams I'd like to see go down this season would be:

-Blackburn (unlikely I know, but I just don't like Allardyce as mentioned earlier)

But realstically, these three.

-Wigan (even though I admire what they've achieved overall, I agree with you that they're not a good side to watch right now)
    -West Ham (a poor side and a club with delusions of grandeur)
    -West Brom (just keep bouncing up an down all the time, never make any impact when they do come up)

Stoke - don't see the point of them. I can never remember where it is even.

I think they're from Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wigan

- play good football
    - have good young players
    - have good young manager
    - have excellent scouting system
    - are financially prudent

Yes, they are terrible defensively, are prone to some horrible thrashings, and will undoubtedly finish in the bottom 4/5.
    But they deserve to be in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

That's great, and sustainability is of course paramount, but where is it getting them? With no support and a poor team they offer nothing to the league.

I'm not saying they should run themselves into the ground and end up in financial ruin, they're just a bit of a pointless club to have around.

How much higher do you want them to go?

Wigan have done fantastically well considering the conditions they find themselves in as regards location and fans. The football club now also pull in higher attendances than the rugby club who they share the ground with. Yes i hate seeing matches played in front of half empty stadiums but i wouldn't develop a hatred of a club for it.

Whelan is also a great chairman, seems an honest and decent guy, and most importantly is running the club very well, not getting carried away or over stretching them.

Im not sure if it was his idea, but the use of the stadium for Rangers fans before their game at Old Trafford was a great idea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/sep/01/rangers-fans-manchester-united-wigan

I read they even stocked the Wigan Club Shop out with Rangers gear to try make some more money out of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Warper wrote: »
    Fixed

OH LOL

id like everton to go down... yeah it would be a bit like drowning a homeless puppy.. hang on, it would be exactly like drowning a homeless puppy, an ugly one too.

Wigan

- play good football
    - have good young players
    - have good young manager
    - have excellent scouting system
    - are financially prudent

Yes, they are terrible defensively, are prone to some horrible thrashings, and will undoubtedly finish in the bottom 4/5.
    But they deserve to be in the PL.

Wasn't that more so Bruce's doing with regard to the random South Americans that came out of nowhere? Are the same scouts still there or have them also moved on?
    How much higher do you want them to go?

Wigan have done fantastically well considering the conditions they find themselves in as regards location and fans. The football club now also pull in higher attendances than the rugby club who they share the ground with. Yes i hate seeing matches played in front of half empty stadiums but i wouldn't develop a hatred of a club for it.

It's not a hated or anything of the sort. They're just the team I'd like out the most, i.e. if I ranked my PL teams in order of preference for relegation, realistically, then Wigan would be bottom.
    Whelan is also a great chairman, seems an honest and decent guy, and most importantly is running the club very well, not getting carried away or over stretching them.

Im not sure if it was his idea, but the use of the stadium for Rangers fans before their game at Old Trafford was a great idea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/sep/01/rangers-fans-manchester-united-wigan

I read they even stocked the Wigan Club Shop out with Rangers gear to try make some more money out of it :D

Well you aren't filling it with your own fans you might as well use someone elses ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Sporting Fingal out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well you aren't filling it with your own fans you might as well use someone elses ;)

There is a bit in the article linked that mentions that, have to admit i laughed :D

I'm not sure i would want to see any particular club go down, just once it is not Blackburn I'll be happy,

Have to admit, i do like it when a "big" club gets the boot.
    Wasn't that more so Bruce's doing with regard to the random South Americans that came out of nowhere? Are the same scouts still there or have them also moved on?

Considering the random South Americans at Sunderland now i would imagine if it was not Bruce's doing then he has them there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Jazzy wrote: »
    OH LOL

id like everton to go down... yeah it would be a bit like drowning a homeless puppy.. hang on, it would be exactly like drowning a homeless puppy, an ugly one too.

Typical Liverpool fan, thinking drowning puppies is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Warper wrote: »
    Typical Liverpool fan, thinking drowning puppies is funny.

I don't think he said drowning puppies was funny.

That's slanderous.

• Advertisement

Incidently -

The thing about the support is that it's now at the highest its ever been - it's not as if they have been deserted by once loyal fans.

Pointless club ? - that would go for over half the teams in the Premiership. All most can hope for is survival, the odd scalp and a decent cup run every now and again. (I suppose they can always dream of the lottery win of a fantastically wealthy benefactor taking them over but that often turns into a poisoned chalice anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

RasTa wrote: »
    Bit rich and arrogant making statements of what clubs belong in the league imo. Just concentrate on your own team. Wigan earned the right to play in the league and until they get relegated then I'm sure the 10-15k fans who do go support the team as much as you and will continue to do so no matter where they end up.

Amen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The only prerequisite for staying in the Premiership should be to avoid relegation - not a wish-list of what would make neutrals and supporters of bigger clubs happy.

So you won't be posting in the Pool thread again?

The sentiment of loving every club in the league and spreading good will to all men is really touching though.

It's not about saying who belongs in the league, it's about who you don't want, as in personal preference. There's a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Out
    Man City weird not seeing them in a battle for survival.
    Sunderland or newcastle no preference equal disdain for them.
    Bolton seriously taking the piss now, 9 years?

In
    QPR to replace man city as the mad money team.
    Cardiff just so ridsdale can do it all over again.
    Notts Forest dunno always liked them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So you won't be posting in the Pool thread again?

The sentiment of loving every club in the league and spreading good will to all men is really touching though.

It's not about saying who belongs in the league, it's about who you don't want, as in personal preference. There's a difference.

Wat? Your preferences in the OP is akin to that Stan Collymore article last year basing your reasons on fanbase and wanting bigger teams in the league for entertainment purposes. I just don't understand the thought process.

This is the same Wigan that beat Spurs away and drew with Sunderland in their previous two. As a City fan you should be happy.

Wat? Your preferences in the OP is akin to that Stan Collymore article last year basing your reasons on fanbase and wanting bigger teams in the league for entertainment purposes. I just don't understand the thought process.

The thought process is simple - I'd prefer traditionally bigger clubs in the league to one with little or no fans and a poor side.

As I said, I've love Leeds or Forest in their place. Even either of the Sheffields would be great to have back. Watching the game last night was depressing in the sense that there were more empty seats than occupied and the only atmosphere was coming out of the away section (bit like Old Trafford actually :pac:).

That game was against what could be considered a 'neighbour'. I expect even worse attendances come December agains teams from further afield.

I take the point that it looks like snobbines but it's sparked a discussion so happy days.
    This is the same Wigan that beat Spurs away and drew with Sunderland in their previous two. As a City fan you should be happy.

I am happy with the Spurs result, of course., but the cons to having Wigan in the league far outweigh the pros.

In my opinion of course.

I suppose a City fan would want a league where attendances mattered, as it would get them into the Champions League.

I suppose a City fan would want a league where attendances mattered, as it would get them into the Champions League.

clapping-gif.gif

Just about, they're 4th for average attendance this season behind United, Arsenal and Newcastle, with Liverpool and Chelsea very close to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is a very weird and silly thread I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

baz2009 wrote: »
    I think they're from Stoke.

Stoke-on-trent actually :)

Trilla wrote: »
    This is a very weird and silly thread I think

Meh, it's a break from the match threads, superthreads and Stephen Ireland threads which clog the first page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Out
    Man City weird not seeing them in a battle for survival.
    Sunderland or newcastle no preference equal disdain for them.
    Bolton seriously taking the piss now, 9 years?

In
    QPR to replace man city as the mad money team.
    Cardiff just so ridsdale can do it all over again.
    Notts Forest dunno always liked them.

Is he not gone from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

One problem for Wigan re: their support is this... They are in the middle of a HUGE rugby stronghold and that has always been a problem for the Wigan soccer club; they are overshadowed pretty much constantly by the rugby club. The town is simply too small to support two clubs of different (or even the same!) codes who are both playing in the top leagues of their respective codes and hope to have the same amount of support as the other. Wigan F.C. is simply the poorer neighbour and suffers as such.

I actually have a real soft spot for them, as Martinez is simply doing the best with what resources he has, and he seems like a genuinely deceent bloke.

I can say tho, I don't think Wigan could easily avoid the drop again this season; my shout for the 3 relegated teams is Blackpool, West Ham and Wigan. I can see West Brom and the others cobbling together enough positives to stay up, but the 3 aforementioned ones will struggle and drop down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement