Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan Out!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Man City tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

baz2009 wrote: »
    Just about, they're 4th for average attendance this season behind United, Arsenal and Newcastle, with Liverpool and Chelsea very close to them.

In fairness, I remember a time when vast swaths of seats were available at the City of Manchester Stadium. Prior to the introduction of Sinawatru, Eriksson, and the first influx of money, Man City looked like a beaten team, with a growing fair-weather fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Xavi6 wrote: »
    After watching Wigan yesterday they're now the team (realistically) I want out of the Premiership most.

1. Shocking defence.

2. Pathetic support (just over 15,000 for a home game, 5000 of which were away supporters.

3. N'Zogbia plays for them.

I'm struggling to see any redeming features. Yes Martinez seems a nice guy and it's good to see him back at the club that brought him to England as a player but they're just a horrible outfit.

I'm sure Irish fans want them to stay competitive for James McCarthy's sake but he would probably be snapped up by a Wolves or a Stoke if Wigan went down anyway. Same goes for Rodallega.

So who do you want to go down (again, realistically)?

I'd still rather watch Wigan than Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

A lot of teams in this league have terrible defences, so to be fair the only actual reason you've given for wanting them out of the league is because they don't have "enough" fans.

Yes, they could take on far more debt than they could manage, like Portsmouth or Leeds, and they could eventually default on their debts and leave organisations like St. Johns Ambulance Service out hundreds of thousands of pounds for their services. Or they could take the peas out of the entire footballing world like Man City, and could draw a far higher crowd in either case, but frankly I'd take an honest club with honest fans over circuses like those, and I think it's utterly insane that anyone who knows about football would for one second think that Wigan are the problem club in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Indifferent to Wigan really. At least they try and play some ball. They're run very well and their season ticket prices etc. are very low for a Premiership team.

You might have had an argument a few years ago with Bolton - Allardyce, empty Reebok Stadium, Kevin Davies, El Hadji Diouf, horrible football - now there was a ship that needed sinking.

That said, I actually admire Stoke as a team more from a coaching point of view. Was watching them the season they came up and their defence was unreal but simple. Keep it narrow, have two huge center halfs, and let the opposition whip balls into the box all day and they'll deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Columbia wrote: »
    A lot of teams in this league have terrible defences, so to be fair the only actual reason you've given for wanting them out of the league is because they don't have "enough" fans.

Yes, they could take on far more debt than they could manage, like Portsmouth or Leeds, and they could eventually default on their debts and leave organisations like St. Johns Ambulance Service out hundreds of thousands of pounds for their services. Or they could take the peas out of the entire footballing world like Man City, and could draw a far higher crowd in either case, but frankly I'd take an honest club with honest fans over circuses like those, and I think it's utterly insane that anyone who knows about football would for one second think that Wigan are the problem club in the Premier League.

There are two problems with the premier league. The premier league itself and the champions league.

Clubs are queuing up to get promoted to and survive in the PL spending huge sums in the process.

The clubs at the other end of the scale are spending bigger sums trying to qualify for the CL and its nothing nothing for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Amazing how the City fans got so uppity so quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

flahavaj wrote: »
    Amazing how the City fans got so uppity so quick.

After years of bunk about United being rich corporate whores, the blues drop their knickers for anybody from gazillionaire sheiks to Thai human-rights abusers provided they stump up a wad that they can flaunt at others.

Who on earth will all those student Oasis-types studying in Manchester support now? Stockport County might be an alternative salt-of-the-earth option.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

stovelid wrote: »
    After years of bunk about United being rich corporate whores, the blues drop their knickers for anybody from gazillionaire sheiks to Thai human-rights abusers provided they stump up a wad that they can flaunt at others.

Who on earth will all those student Oasis-types studying in Manchester support now? Stockport County might be an alternative salt-of-the-earth option.

:pac:

Wigan are crap, who ever said they play sexy football must be on about some wigan from south America or something.

as for city, they were a nothing team up until a few years ago, well they still are a nothing team but lets not go there.

instant sheik money doesn't turn you into a team like arsenal or man united in a few years i'm affraid.

as for stephen ireland, why does anyone even discuss him, like he is about as interesting to talk about as jedward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

This is almost certainly a thread started by a fan of one of the big 4/5. Just because Wigan get 15,000 a week should in no way detract from whether they should be in the top league or not. They have just as much a right as Arsenal or Chelsea to be there. Now I dislike Wigan as much as the next, but that’s for other reasons, but who’s to say they’re support isn’t as good as the rest? How many of the 40,000 that Chelsea get come from West London? Or how many of the Old Trafford crowd come from Manchester? Considering the demographic and competition with Rugby League they have, I think they’ve done alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Funny some wanting Blackburn relegated.

Rovers have won more Premier League titles (and note Premier League) than 16 of the other clubs in the Premier League!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Lemlin wrote: »
    Funny some wanting Blackburn relegated.

Rovers have won more Premier League titles (and note Premier League) than 16 of the other clubs in the Premier League!

So..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

baz2009 wrote: »
    So..?

Well, they've won the PL, got relegated, come back again and earned the right to be there. They were also a vital part of the first few years of the PL and have had some top six finishes in the past five seasons.

They've also had some great players over the years: Stuart Ripley, Jason Wilcox, Colin Hendry, Sutton, Shearer (The SAS - arguably one of the greatest PL striking partnerships ever), Henning Berg, Duff in his prime, Flowers, Brad Friedel, Bentley for a couple of seasons and Graeme Le Saux.

Then there's Phil Jones. Mark my words, he's going to be huge. If United could plump up 12 million for Smalling, he's worth 20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Lemlin wrote: »
    Then there's Phil Jones. Mark my words, he's going to be huge. If United could plump up 12 million for Smalling, he's worth 20 million.

Agreed, going to be a truely fantastic player if he keeps on improving like he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

2. Pathetic support (just over 15,000 for a home game, 5000 of which were away supporters.
    With no support

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zebra3 wrote: »
    :confused:

Pedants corner
    >

I meant in Premier League terms obviously.

Advertisement