Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Robbins

Options
  • 20-09-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭

The actor & musician will be here on Friday - Astra Hall, 1:30PM - according to posters on campus.

If you go by the poster, you'd think he'll be here to talk about his most famous role, in The Shawshank Redemption, but there's a lot more going on than that. Tim is in Ireland to play with his Rogues Gallery band (Whelan's, Sunday, which I'm going to try and see). Tim is also involved with various Liberal causes in the USA, such as being against capital punishment and the Iraq War, and supported Ralph Nader in the 2000 Presidential election.

I thought I'd post something here in case he does a Q&A - in which case I think he would like questions more interesting than "what's Morgan Freeman like?" ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Do you have to be attending UCD to go along?

Is there an entrance fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No entrance fee, but I can't say of they'll be checking IDs at the door. At this point in the year they could not limit it to a particular Society, since they're in the process of recruiting and organising this week.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Its a lawsoc event, lawsoc cards will be checked. UCD cards won't.

If you can get a card from a mate its all we'll check. Signup on the door will be available and will cost 2e, UCD card or name / stu number will be required for signup.

He isn't specifically talking about shawshank, he will talk about his life in general. Just we (lawsoc) decided Shawshank was his most famous role. (I was kiinda pissed, like he won an oscar for mistic river)

Anyone who signs up on the door will get one of our packs, provided stocks last the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

This is how much I love Tim Robbins: I have no classes Friday and I still intend to come in for this.:o

kev9100 wrote: »
    This is how much I love Tim Robbins: I have no classes Friday and I still intend to come in for this.:o
    If you did come in on Friday, you'll know that Tim didn't show. Not because of "scheduling conflicts" or anything like that, but because he didn't know anything about it.

And there I was considering joining LawSoc for the first time, in my 4th year, but that's not gonna happen now. :rolleyes:

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is fairly hilarious, in a massive f*ck up kind of way.

Did no one within Law Soc check that contact had been made? What does it say about future solicitors/barristers that come from UCD :)

yes in fact we do check, and yes contact was made through tim's manager. however it would seem tim has both a manager and a publicist, both of which act as his agent. they messed up.

yes this was a **** up, and lawsoc sincerely apologise, no one is as frustrated as we are, but we didn't lie about confornation of a guest. sure if we were going to lie we would have said we had Ben Afleck.

I realise that over the last few years lawsoc and L&H haven't had the best return rate from the guests promised, but you literally have no idea how little they care for these events and how quickly they cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Jaysus that article tells a different story anyway.

El Siglo wrote: »
    Jaysus that article tells a different story anyway.

Yeah I honestly don't understand, I read that article after making the above post. Like I am fairly sure at least some of it is simply made up. Kieran definitely had communication with at least one of Tim's close personal aides, I have seen the emails.

Again though, sorry to all who wished to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Good thing I didn't (And wont) join lawsoc :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Mud sticks son.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

bnt wrote: »
    No entrance fee, but I can't say of they'll be checking IDs at the door.

Hey grammer king... ;)

Hey grammer king... ;)
    Typos are not grammar mistakes, mierenneuker. :rolleyes:

Dunno about this "publicist" business. Publicists publicise, but only managers actually manage the "talent". You can't have two people giving you conflicting information about where to go; and it appears that Tim doesn't have that problem, despite what the "publicist" said! :pac:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I choose to believe he did turn up but dug his way out behind a large poster bought in a one day only sale under the library

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Last year they said Pele was coming.

Honest to god, Pele.

Advertisement