Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Question - When was "schuko" (CEE 7/4 2-pin) last used?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if any older contributors to the board, or people who know about the history of wiring practices in Ireland knows when "schuko" (CEE 7/4, German-type 16A side earthed) plugs were dropped out of use in Ireland.

We moved into a house built in the late 1950s, and while it had been re-wired at some stage, there was still evidence of its original "Schuko" sockets flush-fitted into some of the walls.

I know that other older installations used BS546 (the old British round pin sockets) but, it seems that the continental style sockets were still being installed here in relatively modern times.

Does anyone know when we switched over to the current system i.e. the same as the UK ?

Was there any standard in the past at all, or was it just a random mix of old-UK and German sockets?!

I'm just curious as there's very little information out there on how we arrived at many of our current standards.

Advertisement