Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got a Photo Published!

• 20-09-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

A few months back I got an email/Flickr message (can't remember which now) about a photo I had on Flickr. The sender was writing a book and wanted to include it. I agreed and had forgotten all about it.
    Last week I received an email from them that the book was published and they wanted to send me a copy. I just got it this morning and I'm on page 24 and credited. Woo Hoo.

The photo they chose is a funny one though. I have plenty of photos from DSLRs and which have been Photo-shopped but the one chosen is from when I got my first compact camera and is fairly unspectacular in my opinion. That's the one they chose though so I won't complain.

The Book:

9781846822667.jpg
    http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.php?intProductID=980

The Image:

1811143552_3d7fabcb89.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭redto

fantastic, well done. and fantastic shot too. Not trying to ignite an argument but like you say it does not take all the fancy gear to take a great photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Did you get paid for it? I was contacted by someone last week asking if they could use one of my photos and they'd credit me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they possibly chose it because it had not been photoshopped. remember, if it's an academic book, they may want something representative rather than something which pops.

"The Dublin region in the Middle ages" and they chose your photo... Just how old are you, Kintaro? :P

Seriously though, congrats and it's a really nice photograph, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

steve06 wrote: »
    Did you get paid for it? I was contacted by someone last week asking if they could use one of my photos and they'd credit me.

I didn't get paid for it but I wasn't looking to. It seems to be more for educational purposes rather than commerical so I don't mind. I got a copy of the book for free and I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

nice one, well done!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

nice one, well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I just got it this morning and I'm on page 24 and credited. Woo Hoo.

Well done Liam.

The photo they chose is a funny one though. I have plenty of photos from DSLRs and which have been Photo-shopped but the one chosen is from when I got my first compact camera and is fairly unspectacular in my opinion. That's the one they chose though so I won't complain.

The quality of the camera is a lot less important than the skill of
    the photographer.

BTW, someone wanted to put one of my photos on the front cover of
    a book, but I gave them the two fingers.

Here is the book:
    http://www.arrl.org/shop/RSGB-Radio-Communication-Handbook

The two fingers are at the bottom-right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

This is me doing a happy dance for you:
    O
    . --- .

} {

[HAPPY]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you are happy with the deal then fair play.

I've given images to publications in the past- just because they wanted my images specifically and didn't have a budget to pay.... which is strange because almost everyone else involved in the publication earned some money as well as credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Well done, always nice to see work in print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Well done and good show!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Deeeeaaaadly! (buzz).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Well done, I like the composition giving bearings with the mountains in the background and a nice touch with the boat coming in.

If they used a photo with shop-pop could that make the other photos in the book look poorly I wonder, could have been a question of consistency...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Congrats on being published. :) I like the shot. Looks well composed too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Nice one. Where is this taken from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Ballyman wrote: »
    Nice one. Where is this taken from?

Looks like one of the scenic walks just north of the lighthouse in Howth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

oshead wrote: »
    Looks like one of the scenic walks just north of the lighthouse in Howth.

Yep I can't remember where exactly it was now as it's about 5 years ago but it's along Howth Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Byrne29

good for you! you should be at least credited for it though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement