Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XPlane lighting problem

Options
  • 20-09-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi
    I have recently started using XPlane as my main sim. It is an excelent improvement from FSX which was my main sim up to then. I wonder if if there is anyone who might know how to reduce the light glare in the sim, When i look at an aircraf or runway lights in the distance all i see is a big blur of lights until the aircraft/runway is nearer. Im not sure but The matrox triplehead20go might be the prob (it was in FSX)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Your TripleHead2Go is not causing any issues here. Try running the sim at the native resolution of one of you monitors to confirm this. The issue is within X Plane itself and is reportedly on the to-do list for X Plane 10. However there is a fix called Timmeh_Light_Mod. For the life of me I cant find where I downloaded it so Ive attached the fix.

From the readme:
    To install:

1. Go to X-Plane 9\Resources\bitmaps\world\lites
    2. Rename 'lights.dds' to 'lights_orig.dds' (so you always have your original if you don't like the changes)
    3. Copy the downloaded file 'lights.dds' to the same directory
    4. Go to X-Plane\Resources\default scenery\sim objects\apt_lights
    5. Rename 'apt_lights.dds' to 'apt_lights_orig.dds' (so you always have your original if you don't like the changes)
    6. Copy the downloaded file 'apt_lights.dds' to the same directory
    7. Enjoy.

v1.0
    1. PAPI / T-VASI lights have been dimmed
    2. Aircraft nav lights have been dimmed
    3. Aircraft white strobes have been dimmed
    4. Particularly bright large purple airport lights have been dimmed
    5. All other runway and taxiway lighting has been left alone

v1.1
    1. Runway threshold strobes dimmed
    2. PAPI / T-VASI light flare eliminated for a more realistic look
    3. Airport green/white locator light dimmed

Its a good improvement on the default lights. Remember to back up your original files in case you want to revert back.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Perfect Bandit, Thanks a mill!

Advertisement