Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non resident firearm cert

Options
  • 20-09-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

few things you might need to know first, i live in tyrone n.ireland and have a firearm cert for this side of the border, no problem,
    i also own land in donegal and now want to take one or more of my firearms onto my second farm to do some vermon controll, i would also like to have the option of taking my shotgun to a sporting or dtl clay shoot if i feel like it, (was at the birr game fair and love'd the thought of going somewhere like that to try somthing out of the norm for me,)

so having finaly got my euro pass back i'm now looking to apply for a non redident firearm cert, so doing what i thought was best i called into the local garda station, and aked a few questions, as in how much it would cost how long the cert would last what all did i need for them to process the thing ect,
    they told me prity much what i had already gathered from you guys on boards, that i needed my euro pass and cert and the fee for a non resident pass was 25 euro per gun,
    only thing was they told me it lasts for 3yrs and not one yr for a non resident, witch would be great as i would then apply for all the firearms and not just the one's i think i'm going to use,
    there's ment to be a great man down the road who can fix shotgun's and i'd like to be able to put whatever firearm i want into the car or jeep and head off without worrying bout if i'm legal or not, but at 25 per gun per year it's just too much to do them all,

so what i'm asking is, what is the offical line on this, as i dont want to fill out paper work on all the guns to then find out that i can only afford a few of them, and is there any way that as land owner in donegal but doesnt live there, can i get a long term cert rather than a non resident,

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

yog1 wrote: »
    so what i'm asking is, what is the offical line on this, as i dont want to fill out paper work on all the guns to then find out that i can only afford a few of them,

The official line would seem to be exactly what you were told. The only issue i can see from your post is the fee appicable to the certs you are looking for. However at €80 per 3 year license and €25 per year for 3 years (€75) it seems the cheaper (although not by much) option would be to go the current route.
    ........... and is there any way that as land owner in donegal but doesnt live there, can i get a long term cert rather than a non resident,

An alternative solution may be for you to have someone (obviously a person you know and trust) this side of the border to license the firearms and store them at their residence. A problem arising from this could be that the firearms are NI in origin and may have to be imported. Not sure on the finer points of this.

A personal opinion would be to go with the non-resident cert and only get ones for the firearms you know you want to use and travel with. Also i think only those firearms listed on your Europass can be transported across the border (with the non-resident cert). Start with them and review your situation after a year to include other firearms. Plus it gives you time to save up.

Again its all opinion and theory, i'm sure there are others with better more accurate information that can elaborate on the matter.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I paid E40 for a one year license to allow me to compete in target shooting events in ROI, so the question is what did I buy?

I know we're half stoopid in Tyrone but I thought I'd got the right bit of paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

demonloop wrote: »
    I paid E40 for a one year license to allow me to compete in target shooting events in ROI, so the question is what did I buy?

I know we're half stoopid in Tyrone but I thought I'd got the right bit of paper.
    Nope, you're actually half wits :D

The non-resident cert costs €40 and lasts for one year. Getting an Irish Cert isn't really a runner if you don't live here (the same as applies in NI).

It's a simple form to fill in and is sent to the district office where you are first going to use the firearm. In the OPs case that would seem to be Donegal.

The forms are available on the Garda website: www.garda.ie, under firearms licensing on the bottom left of the page and the form is in that section at the bottom right hand side.

You can also look up your nearest Garda Station to apply to: make sure it's the nearest district office rather than the local station as it's the Superintendent in your district to whom you apply.

PS, nice revamp to the website, a lot better than the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

ezridax wrote: »

An alternative solution may be for you to have someone (obviously a person you know and trust) this side of the border to license the firearms and store them at their residence. A problem arising from this could be that the firearms are NI in origin and may have to be imported. Not sure on the finer points of this. only problem is that i intend on using them on my side more that in donegal, and it could be an issue with my fao as to where they are being kept,

A personal opinion would be to go with the non-resident cert and only get ones for the firearms you know you want to use and travel with. Also i think only those firearms listed on your Europass can be transported across the border (with the non-resident cert). Start with them and review your situation after a year to include other firearms. Plus it gives you time to save up. when i applyed for the europass i got all my firearms put on it as it cost me nothing to do so,
    rrpc wrote: »
    The non-resident cert costs €40 and lasts for one year. Getting an Irish Cert isn't really a runner if you don't live here (the same as applies in NI).
    after looking into it again it seems that this is the way it is,
    shame really as if it had been cheaper to get a cert i would have applyed for all my firearms and from what i can make out its only a visator pass i'd be granted, and the hassel of applying every year put me off as well,
    i know several people with 3 or more firearms and at E40 a go per year thats E120, every year, you'd wonder why it costs so much as they dont have to do all the checks that a resident cert holder would,(wonder how much it costs to get a visator pass/ non resident cert up here)
    could passably put a samll amount of money back into the country as well, as the oul boy told me. every penny counts,

after looking into it again it seems that this is the way it is,
    shame really as if it had been cheaper to get a cert i would have applyed for all my firearms and from what i can make out its only a visator pass i'd be granted, and the hassel of applying every year put me off as well,
    i know several people with 3 or more firearms and at E40 a go per year thats E120, every year, you'd wonder why it costs so much as they dont have to do all the checks that a resident cert holder would,(wonder how much it costs to get a visator pass/ non resident cert up here)
    could passably put a samll amount of money back into the country as well, as the oul boy told me. every penny counts,
    The cost of a NI visitor's permit is £12 per visit although you can also get one for up to a year for the same price I believe (it's not specifically stated on the PSNI website).

Checks have to be carried out on visitors, usually with their own constabulary/police force. Having been involved in getting one recently for a visitor, I know a fair bit of work is required to issue one.

I really believe that we should move away from these permits and start using the EFP more, perhaps in conjunction with some sort of notification form to the local police force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

rrpc wrote: »
    Nope, you're actually half wits :D

It's a simple form to fill in and is sent to the district office where you are first going to use the firearm. In the OPs case that would seem to be Donegal.

The forms are available on the Garda website: www.garda.ie, under firearms licensing on the bottom left of the page and the form is in that section at the bottom right hand side.

You can also look up your nearest Garda Station to apply to: make sure it's the nearest district office rather than the local station as it's the Superintendent in your district to whom you apply.

PS, nice revamp to the website, a lot better than the old one.

That sounds like what I did alright.

Aye the websites great, amazing what £1000 can do :mad:
    Needless to say there will be no revamp until next century :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

To clarify -

In terms of Target Shooting.

A PSNI Visitor Permit is for a period of one year from date of issue.

An ROI Visitor Permit - must be applied for - in the station local to the range on which it will first be used,

In order to achieve either you must have the relevant license in the other jurisdiction and a valid European Fireams Pass.

Note: To apply for either you must submit your original European Firearms Pass and a copy of your actual license - for the duration of the application process - which will mean you cannot travel abroad for that period of time.

The PSNI Visitor Permit usually takes approx two weeks from application to delivery - I've had one for almost 5 years (Handgun) so cannot remember if the first time takes any longer.

Not sure about how long an ROI Visitor Permit application process takes- perhaps someone who has actually done it can comment.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Not sure about how long an ROI Visitor Permit application process takes- perhaps someone who has actually done it can comment.

B'Man
    The one I was involved with took just days to complete, largely due to the trojan work of the Sergeant in the station who even went to the trouble of giving me her mobile number if anything went wrong while she was off duty.

If you're reading this, thanks again Laura :D

Sounds very fast - then I know someone whose Irish Centrefire handgun license took 9 days from application to delivery but that is no indication of the average time.

I have asked a few people and the average for an ROI visitor permit would seem to be about 2-3 weeks - although all those I asked were CF handguns and none of them have have sought an ROI visitor permit in the last year - for fear of being refused after all the blanket refusals they have seen throughout Ireland.

The main concern for target shooters would be that they could be without their European Firearms Permit for an extended period of time (2 -3 weeks is an extended period of time at the height of the summer competition season)

Obviously being refused a license - regardless of jurisdiction - is not something they want either.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

Bananaman wrote: »
    To clarify -

In terms of Target Shooting.

A PSNI Visitor Permit is for a period of one year from date of issue.

An ROI Visitor Permit - must be applied for - in the station local to the range on which it will first be used,

In order to achieve either you must have the relevant license in the other jurisdiction and a valid European Fireams Pass.

Note: To apply for either you must submit your original European Firearms Pass and a copy of your actual license - for the duration of the application process - which will mean you cannot travel abroad for that period of time.

The PSNI Visitor Permit usually takes approx two weeks from application to delivery - I've had one for almost 5 years (Handgun) so cannot remember if the first time takes any longer.

B'Man
    does it make a difference as to what type of shooting i wish to do, i mainly want them for vermon but i'd like to do sporting the odd time as well, maybe two three times a year

• Advertisement

does it make a difference as to what type of shooting i wish to do, i mainly want them for vermon but i'd like to do sporting the odd time as well, maybe two three times a year
    Difference to what? Time?

I have no idea and I suspect it's down to the station that's dealing with it as to how long it takes.

My only experience has been with target shooting - so for use on a range.

As an ROI firearms license is either for hunting, target shooting or both - I assume that a visitors permit is the same.

I'm sure someone with experience of getting an ROI visitor permit for hunting and clays will be along to tell you if there is any difference - NARGC would be the lads that would cover the hunting side of things in the ROI so you could ask them directly.

B'Man

Advertisement