Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dubin to Sligo

• 20-09-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

I had set myself a challenge earlier in the summer of completing the Wicklow 200 and I am glad to say I did it. It went well and I managed to finish it in just under 9 hours which was not a bad time considering the most I had cycled previous to this was about 85K. Now I have set myself a challenge to cycling from Dublin to Sligo on the October bank holiday weekend. This won’t be an organised event like the Wicklow 200 so my question is what do I need to consider when tacking something like this? As I am doing it on my own but if anyone who wants to join me can please let me know. Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Make sure you know your route. Google Maps is good for planning, particularly the ealking directions which allows you to avoid main roads. A GPS helps a lot though for this sort of route; it is very difficult to follow with a map as the signage in Ireland off main roads is terrible.

Leave just before dawn; you will be under pressure in October with the sun. Make sure you have lights. It will be tougher to do this in October with the prospective weather I reckon. It is also harder to do solo compared to in a group. Still perfectly possible.

Do you have to carry anything on the bike for when you stop in Sligo?

As part of your route planning work out where you are likely to be able to stop for lunch/to replenish food supplies, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭csb1989

I cycle from Dublin to Mayo or back the other way a couple of times a year, and for this distance I usually find you can bring enough food for the whole distance (roll with nutella always works for me :p aswell as bars/ banana), but I tend to stop twice for water (any pub or filling station!)

As blorg mentioned, know your route well- which towns you will be passing through, road numbers, estimated distances.. I also use a Garmin 705 and this makes it all very easy, especially now that I know the route anyways.. !

Pump and a small saddle bag with tube/ tools is always a good idea aswell if you're out on your own, and of course a mobile, money/ credit cards etc.

Also, well done on completing the Wicklow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Aerobars would be good = more speed / less effort. The big problem might be wind. The prevailing wind is Southwest so it might be against. Shoe covers for the rain, rear clip-on mudguard also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

I did this last year, about 230km if i remember correctly. Its pretty flat, although I went over some Gap, cumberland maybe, roads terrible at that point. Main roads arent too bad if you prefer them, normally plenty of room on the hard shoulder but the backroads are more tranquil and a better cycle.

Just prepare for rain, stop for food, have repair gear for punctures and pace yourself.

Took me 8.5 hours without killing myself, just eat often along the way, plan your stop points to coincide with a town to get a proper meal along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Thanks all for the input. Weather on the day is going to be a big factor but hail, rain or snow I will be leaving Dublin at 6.00am. Mrs. Dinging is going to provide support about half way. Having watched this board and prepared for the Wicklow 200 I feel I have all that I need except for the Garmin 705, might look into that. I will be on a focus variado compact. Route planning seems to be the most important factor as I would like to mix route with main roads and some secondary to enjoy the route. Thanks again all. Dinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Dinging wrote: »
    Thanks all for the input. Weather on the day is going to be a big factor but hail, rain or snow I will be leaving Dublin at 6.00am. Mrs. Dinging is going to provide support about half way. Having watched this board and prepared for the Wicklow 200 I feel I have all that I need except for the Garmin 705, might look into that. I will be on a focus variado compact. Route planning seems to be the most important factor as I would like to mix route with main roads and some secondary to enjoy the route. Thanks again all. Dinging.

when u doing it sir ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I did Dublin / Ballina in the early 80's, Bank Holiday weekend. Went down on a Saturday morning and came back on the Bank Holiday Monday. Did a 23 mile spin on the Sunday to deal with the lactic.
    Can't remember times but I was about early 10st. then. Not too hard, then again I was racing at the time.
    159 miles each way.
    Cycled to work the next day. You had to!!!!

Something like 8 / 9 hours each way. As kincsem says, I had about a 2mph. headwind on the way down and the same on my back on the way back.
    Not a prob.

michael196 wrote: »
    when u doing it sir ?

Michael196, I hope to go down on Saturday 23rd, thats the October bank holiday weekend, leaving from Stillorgan, Co. Dublin at about 6.00 or 6.30am. Why? Do you fancy joining me for the spin? Let me know.

Dining.

Dublin to Sligo cycle completed on Saturday Oct 23rd. Just under 239km, total time 10.56 hrs, average 22.1km, no records broken here :-). Total time 12.50hrs. Weather was excellent except for a slight head wind but I was expecting that. Rain shower coming out of Oldcastle was the only rain I encountered all day. Left Stillorgan at 7.00am and arrived at the Strand Hill Road, Sligo just before 8.00pm in darkness. The last hour was done in pitch darkness which was a bit of a nightmare but I was so close I just kept pushing on. Overall the route I took was great, traffic was nice and quite and overall did not encounter any problems except for being chased by a few dogs but none managed to take a bite out of me although a couple were very close. Bike (Focus variado compact) went well, no punctures but did have a chain off about 1km from my destination which was a bit of a pain. Did get lost coming out of Blanch and in Drumshambo but managed to get back on track but it did add some extra km's to the overall total. Legs are still a little stiff but overall I don't feel too bad. Now for my next challenge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

well done. its not about breaking records its about finishing your challenge and the sense of achivment after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Nice one. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Well done-a great achievement- any chance you mapped out your route-I'd be interested to see what roads you took?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Brill-thanks!

Advertisement