Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

RSA/DOE Consultant Document

• 20-09-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I've just spoken to a very helpful person at the RSA who told me that their proposals for testing campers have been completed and gone to the Transport Minister for approval.
    Although he could not go into details at this time he did assure me that all our suggestions and comments have been taken on board and that he feels confident we will be happy with the result. He hopes that the powers that be will study it and pass judgment within a month or so (but don't hold your breath).

A few details that we talked about were:
    Window glass - all previously acceptable markings will be covered. Main concern here will be glass with no markings.
    Disc for windscreen - yes but will take a while to roll out due to systems being set up in testing stations.
    Frequency and cost of testing - more along the lines of cars, but reading between the lines, cost could vary according to size of 'van although this was only my feeling, nothing that he actually said, and anyone with an existing DOE cert. at time of enforcement will automatically have it extended to cover the appropriate length of time.

All in all, after talking with him, I feel we have very little to worry about.

All those who contributed to the consultation paper will be notified in due course.

So Watch this space.

Hope this is helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Hi All,
    I've just spoken to a very helpful person at the RSA who told me that their proposals for testing campers have been completed and gone to the Transport Minister for approval.
    Although he could not go into details at this time he did assure me that all our suggestions and comments have been taken on board and that he feels confident we will be happy with the result. He hopes that the powers that be will study it and pass judgment within a month or so (but don't hold your breath).

A few details that we talked about were:
    Window glass - all previously acceptable markings will be covered. Main concern here will be glass with no markings.
    Disc for windscreen - yes but will take a while to roll out due to systems being set up in testing stations.
    Frequency and cost of testing - more along the lines of cars, but reading between the lines, cost could vary according to size of 'van although this was only my feeling, nothing that he actually said, and anyone with an existing DOE cert. at time of enforcement will automatically have it extended to cover the appropriate length of time.

All in all, after talking with him, I feel we have very little to worry about.

All those who contributed to the consultation paper will be notified in due course.

So Watch this space.

Hope this is helpful.

Gone to the Minister. That should hold things up for a few years at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Normally I would argee with you.
    But just remember that this is the RSA we're talking about, with a very high profile chairman.

If you have chaired the longest running chat show in the world, you have a lot of clout.

Try not to be too pessimistic, surely it will be better for all of us if we know that the campers on the road are road worthy.
    I try not to think about the fact that the 'van in front or behind me has never been tested for road worthiness, don't you?.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Normally I would argee with you.
    But just remember that this is the RSA we're talking about, with a very high profile chairman.

If you have chaired the longest running chat show in the world, you have a lot of clout.

Try not to be too pessimistic, surely it will be better for all of us if we know that the campers on the road are road worthy.
    I try not to think about the fact that the 'van in front or behind me has never been tested for road worthiness, don't you?.:eek:

Frined of mine converted a min bus used for school runs, he bought because it'd passed the DOE. He'd to fill and weld the floor because of rust and it'd passed the doe!

My mechanic just serviced my van and passed it safe to be on the road I'd put more faith in him.

If their test isn't camper specific, checks gas..... then no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

My mechanic just serviced my van and passed it safe to be on the road I'd put more faith in him.

How did he test the braking effort, imbalance and suspension loading these are some of the most important parts of any vehicle test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Frined of mine converted a min bus used for school runs, he bought because it'd passed the DOE. He'd to fill and weld the floor because of rust and it'd passed the doe!

If their test isn't camper specific, checks gas..... then no thanks

WoW !.
    Why is it that whenever we hear stories about bad inspections/tests it's always a friend or a friend of a friend that it happened to. We never have it first hand.
    I'm not doubting that it can happen but we shouldn't go through life with a negative attitude, should we ?.
    To some extent, any official test is better than your/my friend the mechanic who lives down the road and checks vehicles in his spare time.

The proposal that is going forward will be taking into consideration the views of those who bothered to register and write to the RSA.
    I assume that anyone who is against having 'vans tested did not take part in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I just hope it's a fair test with a fair price and fair intervals taking into account the vehicles intended use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

They don't check the Gas or 220v in the UK for the MOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

good to hear something is finally happening.as long as it's fair in test,price and length of ticket i'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

paddyp wrote: »
    How did he test the braking effort, imbalance and suspension loading these are some of the most important parts of any vehicle test.
    Brakes will easily pass nct/doe if they are working correctly/hoses/cables/linkages are in good condition, which any competent mechanic can do. Suspension is more a matter for a road test. Bad shocks can pass the nct as long as they are equally bad at both sides, I've proved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

2 stroke wrote: »
    Brakes will easily pass nct/doe if they are working correctly/hoses/cables/linkages are in good condition, which any competent mechanic can do. Suspension is more a matter for a road test. Bad shocks can pass the nct as long as they are equally bad at both sides, I've proved it.

Motorhomes very often have one axle significantly overloaded thats what I meant about suspension loading.

Brake imbalance rarely shows its head until you have to really stomp on the brakes for an emergency stop and end up in the ditch or worse the wrong side of the road.

I don't doubt that a competent mechanic can service and inspect your brakes but how many people do you know who took their car for a 'pre nct' by a mechanic only to have if fail a test or tests. A mechanic is not going to remove wheels and dismantle your rear brake drums to inspect the mechanism .. ask your motorfactor how many reconditioned lucas calipers they sell.

I am a competent electronic engineer but a person on minimum wage that inspects circuit boards for visual faults all day everyday will be faster and more accurate than me because they do it all day every day. I would expect the same to be true of an everyday mechanic vs a vehicle tester.

• Advertisement

Nct pre testing is probably more of a money making scam than the test itself. A full service is all that is necessary
    A competent mechanic will inspect the pads for wear. The nct don't, not sure about doe. A car with 1000 miles left on the pads can pass the nct, some drivers think their car is certified safe for the next 2 years.

paddyp wrote: »
    Motorhomes very often have one axle significantly overloaded thats what I meant about suspension loading.

I cannot argue on this one, some of the homebuilds I've seen could easily have this problem.

Advertisement