Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some EQ tips from Fabfilter

Options
  • 20-09-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

I noticed a few lads mentioned they wanted to get better at eq'ing and remembered a video i saw recently

some basic enough stuff but it might help out a few folks

also this one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Copied to resources sticky! :) - Cheers for that gem :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

A question

What about pre eq'ing parts like hits and cymbals.

I've noticed - from my download of the Binary Finary pack - the hits with "gentle Eq" on them, sit much better - but I have no idea what's been done to them.

I've noticed myself - when I've tried to eq my own samples - they have harmonics going really low - if I remove the lower harmonics my samples sound very thinny

What do you Pre Eq? and how do you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

krd wrote: »
    A question

What about pre eq'ing parts like hits and cymbals.

I've noticed - from my download of the Binary Finary pack - the hits with "gentle Eq" on them, sit much better - but I have no idea what's been done to them.

I've noticed myself - when I've tried to eq my own samples - they have harmonics going really low - if I remove the lower harmonics my samples sound very thinny

What do you Pre Eq? and how do you do it?
    I think Neuro just took those samples directly out of drum machines or synthesizers.those would be the non eq'd ones.

the pre eqs would be where he wanted them to sound a bit better than the raw sound from the drum machine without being specific to any song

so lets say for example on the non eq'd version he left in those lower frequencies that you should roll off on your high hats when you eq them.
    on the eq'd ones hes rolled them off

likewise the sound directly from the drummachines could have been harsh so he might have notched it somewhere in the highs on the eq'd versions

this may be why they sound and sit better in the mix because he might have anticipated normal procedures that would be done by most to treat the elements

that would be my guess anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

krd wrote: »
    It may be that the eq you're using isn't that great. What eq are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

The gentle EQ was either shelving or a little boost for whatever 'sweet' frequency i could find in the sound - little else.

If an eq fails to flatten a sound for me, i ram it through a compressor and have an eq before it... crush the sound to it's limits and then use the eq to boost or cut what i want to balance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

splitrmx wrote: »
    It may be that the eq you're using isn't that great. What eq are you using?

I'm using the Ableton eq. Using it is a bit of a stretch. I haven't really set about practising with it.

The big deal at the minute is I've just started using my monitors . I don't think the Ableton EQ is brutal - there are probably better Eq'a out there - I've just never done any serious Eq'ing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 danoz

The big deal at the minute is I've just started using my monitors . I don't think the Ableton EQ is brutal - there are probably better Eq'a out there - I've just never done any serious Eq'ing.

Bro have you tried right clicking the ableton eg and selecting High Quality Mode. it's set on normal mode by default for lower cpu due to ableton default templates made for the playing out live enviroment. i only stumbled into this a while ago! Makes a good difference although there are better vst's out there.:pac:

Advertisement