Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Repair

Options
  • 20-09-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I've got a watch with sentimental value that I sent into a jeweller in Maynooth to have it's battery replaced. It came back grand but in the shower it steams up badly so it was clearly letting in water somehow. I sent it back to them to get it resealed (it's a diving watch, good for 100m) and once again it came back but still steams up.

I took it to another jeweller who said it was sealed properly and they have no idea how the water was getting in. They suggested i take it to a watchmaker/repair shop instead of a general jeweller. Trouble is I don't have the slightest clue where I'd find one.

Anybody have some recommendations for me?

*Edit* - Just saw this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862565

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

You could ask Tubridy for his number.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgjcdrzWKb6EEoEyxgMSlGoepZZhrvxhQU8FoLyWpu83xuKbc&t=1&usg=__G1BEKO9JKlLlihopgwj4AVXNp_k=

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

bedlam wrote: »
    Hot water can result in the seal getting damaged and as a result letting water in. There's a simple solution however, don't wear it in the shower ;)

It didn't have this issue before though. I should take this over to watches & timepieces too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yep:
    tmax wrote: »
    Dawson Jewellers, Dawson st
    .. probably the best place

I got my watch fixed in there once

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Take it to the Casio section in Arnotts and ask for their advice. I used to stock G-shock watches in my business and they were the service agents. Over the years they've replaced the batteries and resealed the watches for 100s of my customers with nary a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 steo2009

hi i seen a place in swords that sell water watches not classed as water proof, the might be a new bread of watches lol. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

A lot of places will warn you that if you remove the battery they can't ensure watch will be waterproof afterwards. Particularly the chunky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

jdivision wrote: »
    A lot of places will warn you that if you remove the battery they can't ensure watch will be waterproof afterwards. Particularly the chunky ones.

Which is why I recommended the Casio concession at Arnotts. G-Shock watches have to be water-resistant at 10-bar and they have the expertise to reseal watches. Even if they cannot do your brand, they will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that does watch repairs. Straps , new batts and so-on. Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Timpson in the Ilac Centre.

Advertisement