Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haitian Charity Site

• 20-09-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just finishing off this Haitian charity site and wouldn't mind some feedback. I'm still awaiting a couple of original images so there are a couple of nabbed fillers in use. Other than that it's more or less good to go.

www.schoolsofmiracles.org

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The Donate Now button doesn't link to your donation page directly, it takes you to mycharity.ie homepage - I'd change that asap.

The site does what it says on the tin. It's not a bad site for a cheap and cheerful charity site, and it works, so that's the main thing I guess, no point being too critical there!

It won't win any awards, design-wise. And beneath the surface I don't like the Dreamweaver menu code in the slightest, and using spacer gifs and tables, nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

Trojan wrote: »
    The Donate Now button doesn't link to your donation page directly, it takes you to mycharity.ie homepage - I'd change that asap.

The site does what it says on the tin. It's not a bad site for a cheap and cheerful charity site, and it works, so that's the main thing I guess, no point being too critical there!

It won't win any awards, design-wise. And beneath the surface I don't like the Dreamweaver menu code in the slightest, and using spacer gifs and tables, nasty.

Thanks for feedback.

Waiting on url for Donate Now button.

Seem DW with intergrated Fireworks defaults to spacer gifs.

Tried removing them but just end up with gaps in imported images.

Mad really, but that's Adobe for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The animation is a bit too slow and too much time is spent on transitions between frames. Drop the things like the twirling star and concentrate on getting the message across.

Body doesn't have background colour specified. Add body {background-color: #fff;} to your miraclecss.css.

Needs a lot more SEO work.

+1 on the code and layout techniques being poor/ugly/inelegant. Better to drop Dreamweaver (except for production) for something like Notepad++ and learn up properly on css.

I've done a bit of investigating into the import of FW into DW in div's rather than tables. Apparently, unless you create the entire page in FW and import the CSS and images, you can only directly import images with behaviours into tables.

The only alternative is to use separate images and apply a rollover behaviour in DW.

I tried that on the nav buttons here and the back end turned out just as ugly. Given how much more time consuming it is for no benefit I went back to the default tables.

Much as it sucks a bit that's the trade off.

tricky D wrote: »

Body doesn't have background colour specified. Add body {background-color: #fff;} to your miraclecss.css.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ivanc wrote: »
    Why?

Because it's not specified. I can see it as I don't use a default white background. Not a biggy, just attention to detail.

tricky D wrote: »
    Because it's not specified. I can see it as I don't use a default white background. Not a biggy, just attention to detail.

Furry muff!

Is it white for you now?

Advertisement