Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bar robbery in carlow

Options
  • 20-09-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

does anyone know what barwas robbed ?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0920/carlow.html

A bar manager was held hostage in the early hours of this morning while tens of thousands of euro was stolen from the pub where she worked in Carlow town.
    The woman was returning home when three men allegedly bundled her into her house and demanded the keys to her place of work.
    She was kept in the house by one of the men, while her place of work was burgled by the other two.
    The men threatened the woman and she was forced to tell them the number to unlock the safe. It is believed up to €50,000 was taken.
    The house and the pub remain sealed off for forensic examination.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

its the Med Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

that's a huge amount of cash to have lying around in a pub safe when the pubs are doing so poorly because of the smoking ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

It was serious amount of money to be left on a premises when there is a Night safe cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    that's a huge amount of cash to have lying around in a pub safe when the pubs are doing so poorly because of the smoking ban.

Have you actually been in a pub at the weekend lately? Especially one with a late bar?
    They are not doing poorly!!
    And Even if they were... the smoking ban?? Seriously?? That came in SIX YEARS AGO!!!!
    perhaps its time to build a bridge? Just about every pub in the town has an enclosed smoking area now and the ones in the Med Bar, The Barracks, Dinn Ri and The Foundry are usually warmer than inside the pub/club.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

its a point though of why that kind of cash wasnt deposited across the road. I'd hate to get suspicious of inside jobs or anything.

Ive always found it weird that the smoking ban came in and yet its the pubs that go out of the way to appease the smokers that do best - like what was the point of the ban in the first place? the fact that pubs have inside smoking areas makes the idea of protecting workers/punters not smelling of smoke etc a joke (i like smoking areas btw - just pointing out the stupidity of the smoking ban)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

it's slightly off topic but i dont think its a matter of appeasing smokers...it's keeping up competitiveness.

if a group of people go out to a pub, say 3 out of the 5 people are smokers, then its likely that the group will head somewhere with a decent smoking area to accommodate everyone.

back on topic! it is a lot of money to be leaving on the premises, but tbh i wouldnt be comfortable depositing that much cash on my own at night, even if it is only across the road.

obviously someone has been watching the comings and goings of the med for awhile.

It's a strange one so it is. I work in the Med every weekend and know the owner & manager very well. The good news is noone was hurt. Now its just a case of finding out where that 50k went

maccored wrote: »
    its a point though of why that kind of cash wasnt deposited across the road. I'd hate to get suspicious of inside jobs or anything.

You know, that thought had never crossed my mind. I'm too innocent for my own good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I think inside jobs happen a lot these days, Especially if workers know all the ins & outs of a place . . .
    All its takes is a little bit of bravery & a lot of Homework,
    The Right people for the task,
    Traumatic victim with perhaps a few battle scars for good measure.
    & a strict code of silence... Not saying it happened here but its happening a lot, thats my rant

One report from the Belfast telegraph iirc had the owner in tears talking about the ordeal the staff member had been through, if a place wasn't doing as well losing that much could easily shut them down if they didn't have good insurance cover for such things.

But regardless of insurance money or business the fact nobody was injured is great as this type of robbery can get very violent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What report was that, then?
    The one that had the owner in tears that is.

SV wrote: »
    What report was that, then?
    The one that had the owner in tears that is.

yeah, any chance of seeing that?

ottostreet wrote: »
    yeah, any chance of seeing that?
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/gang-holds-woman-hostage-before-fleeing-with-euro50000-14954388.html

here it is
    Owner of the Med Bar, Laurence Murray, broke down in tears as he described his "shock" and "devastation" at what happened to his work colleague.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/gang-holds-woman-hostage-before-fleeing-with-euro50000-14954388.html#ixzz10MxA5dp6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

owner in tears ? the builders who worked on the revamp of that spot are in tears still trying to get paid for the work they done.............

owner in tears ? the builders who worked on the revamp of that spot are in tears still trying to get paid for the work they done.............
    was that in the safe too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

its not in the builders pockets anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Setanta1974

<snip>

Throwing around accusations like this can get us(Boards) in trouble. I suggest you go to the gardai.

OMG, I think I'm exactly going to be excited to read the nationalist tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

ShayK1 wrote: »
    OMG, I think I'm exactly going to be excited to read the nationalist tomorrow.

Unless somebody is charged and before a Court in relation to the matter you'll read nowt of consequence about it in The Nationalist, or anywhere else either.

If they have anything at all on it it'll be along the generic lines of :
    • Gardaí say their enquiries are continuing........
    • This reporter understands that a person has been arrested in relation to this matter..........
    You get my drift I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Is there anything in the Nationalist to confirm that someone has been arrested?

super-rush wrote: »
    Is there anything in the Nationalist to confirm that someone has been arrested?

Don't think so, so its NOT definitely true.

Having spoken to staff of the Med in the last few minutes, it appears that neither owner nor manager have been arrested. The staff seemed to be as ill-informed as we are.

Whether or not this is true remains to be seen. Until some official source confirms they have been arrested, I think we should all assume that noone has been arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Don't think so, so its NOT definitely true.

lmao @ edit.

Having spoken to staff of the Med in the last few minutes, it appears that neither owner nor manager have been arrested. The staff seemed to be as ill-informed as we are.

Whether or not this is true remains to be seen. Until some official source confirms they have been arrested, I think we should all assume that noone has been arrested.

Because of this i've removed the speculation.

In future could people provide a source please.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Setanta1974

Sorry about that Super. Thats the last thing I would want. But saw no difference between what I said and what someone else said about him not paying his bills. All I was trying to say basically is I don't feel sorry for guys like that who lack character.

An sorry if I have gone off topic again, just wanted to explain where I was coming from

Sorry about that Super. Thats the last thing I would want. But saw no difference between what I said and what someone else said about him not paying his bills. All I was trying to say basically is I don't feel sorry for guys like that who lack character.

An sorry if I have gone off topic again, just wanted to explain where I was coming from

Don't worry about it. I left the comment about not paying the builders as it had been reported in both local papers a while back. I left the other comments up until the papers came out this week to see if the speculation could be confirmed and it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I heard on Thursday that the Med Bar Manger was dragged out handcuffed and taken off....Is that true?

Mister Man wrote: »
    I heard on Thursday that the Med Bar Manger was dragged out handcuffed and taken off....Is that true?

All rumours of arrests seem to be just that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have deleted all posts speculating on who did this robbery.

I recommend to the Mods that they ban anyone who makes unfounded accusations.
    Behave yourselves people!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement