Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor online phonebook has disappeared

Options
  • 20-09-2010 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have been a Meteor customer for the last 5 years or so. Over that period I have collected in the region of 500 mobile numbers and added them to my online account on Meteor. A lot of these numbers were also on my phone....but a lot of them weren't.

In the last few days I decided to change to bill pay from pre-pay. I kept the same number. Upon logging into my Meteor account this morning I find that the approx 500 numbers have disappeared from my account. I rang Meteor only to be told that they can't retrieve the numbers as my account had changed. I find this unacceptable and am really really annoyed that they can actually clear your online phonebook like this. I now have lost numbers that I know I will never retrieve. I was NEVER advised when I purchased my phone and changed my plan last Friday that this would happen. I am disgusted that a professional organisation like this does not backup customers accounts. I give Meteor approximately €800 per annum and for them to do this is beyond belief!

I am really really annoyed. I'm currently awaiting a call back from a supervisor. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ddub

They have to be somewhere I would imagine its just a case of them being bothered enough to look for them. Try and play ball and be assertive but polite and advise if they wont help you will make a data protection request for all information they have stored regarding your account.

If you dont get anywhere I can pm you a name and email address of someone in there who was very helpful when I was getting nowhere with the reps on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 danton

Thanks ddub. I'm still waiting on a call back. I rang twice yesterday and once there a while ago. My query has been escalated and I should get a call this afternoon sometime. If I don't have any luck then I'll send you a PM.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Happened me also when I changed from bill to prepay a few months back.
    Luckily I didn't have anywhere near the amount of numbers on it as the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

same thing happened to me switching from payg to billpay

only had 20 odd numbers so wasnt that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ok I hate to say it but...

**** happens, ALWAYS have a back up of data you can't live without.

Chances are they do back up the data, but only for disaster recovery reasons as oppose to singular problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

danton wrote: »
    I have been a Meteor customer for the last 5 years or so. Over that period I have collected in the region of 500 mobile numbers and added them to my online account on Meteor. A lot of these numbers were also on my phone....but a lot of them weren't.

In the last few days I decided to change to bill pay from pre-pay. I kept the same number. Upon logging into my Meteor account this morning I find that the approx 500 numbers have disappeared from my account. I rang Meteor only to be told that they can't retrieve the numbers as my account had changed. I find this unacceptable and am really really annoyed that they can actually clear your online phonebook like this. I now have lost numbers that I know I will never retrieve. I was NEVER advised when I purchased my phone and changed my plan last Friday that this would happen. I am disgusted that a professional organisation like this does not backup customers accounts. I give Meteor approximately €800 per annum and for them to do this is beyond belief!

I am really really annoyed. I'm currently awaiting a call back from a supervisor. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Can they give you a itimised call history for the bill pay period, this would get you some of the numbers back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 danton

Can they give you a itimised call history for the bill pay period, this would get you some of the numbers back.

I changed to bill pay from pre-pay. Even if I got an itimised list I wouldn't have names to put with the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

Your online account is a free service. While I see your frustration at losing 500 + numbers without being informed you'd do so you should really have had them backed up to a memory card. As far as I'm aware Meteor don't advertise or advise customers to use MyMeteor as a way of backing up their contacts.

The reason they allow you to save contacts is to make it more convenient when sending web texts, this is usually a small number of contacts and I'd imagine you are one of the small minority who would store such a large amount of contacts. They have over 1 million customers so it's unlikely they back-up such content for a free service (if it's not a requirement by the regulator).

Advertisement