Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalkey Island Hotel

Options
  • 20-09-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

I worked there from 1990 to 1994 wondered if anyone else did? Or any stories from the time? Miss Dalkey Island Contests.... Grab a Granny on a Thursday night... Bono and the lads popping in for pints... Heading up to the Dublin Sports after work ! Those were the days !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I remember the Miss Dalkey Island contests and Joe Bollard on the keyboard in the bar-don't remember the grab a granny nights though. Mind you even if I did I wouldn't admit it. Yeah the Kilternan Hotel with the most discreet doormen in South Dublin and a £1 a pint on Mondays and Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Forgot about Joe Bollard the blind pianist. Arthur McDaniel the manager was driving him home to Bray one night. Arthur had a left hand drive merc at the time. He would tell Joe when to wave at people. Confused a lot of people seeing a totally blind guy driving a big merc full speed through Shankill waving at them !! Lmao :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Attended many good functions in the Dalkey Island. Aah the memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

The Cliff Castle up the road was good for a laugh too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

used to go to dublin sports was a great spot for late drink, the state of the place now is unreal

• Advertisement

Sad to hear about the Dublin Sports.. was a mighty spot.. 7 nights a week :(
    Other nights when we finished work it used to off to Peekers in Dun loaghaire.. the bar was a hatch and you queued single file !

I guess all the ex staff of the Dalkey Island Hotel must has passed away with liver failure !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Dalkey Island hotel was once the meeting place for the south Dublin CB radio club. I was still at school back then, late 70's. We would meet up Sunday Mornings and hold the odd social night. This is also where I had my first pint served over the counter. The Northside CB club met at the Stardust.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Other nights when we finished work it used to off to Peekers in Dun loaghaire.. the bar was a hatch and you queued single file !

Peekrs with sticky carpets a shade of brothel red (or so I'm told) they said the "substantial meal" was chicken but I was never sure. Didn't stop me eating it or throwing it about the place though

queuing single file for a pint bottle of warm Guinness-Keith Floyd must be turning in his grave

In my time it was Dalkey Sub Aqua that would be pinting away in the back bar of a Sunday evening after a day under water.

Also remember we were losing dozens of pint glasses a week. Finally found out a barman was selling dirty pint glasses for £5 each to Spanish students and telling them they had just missed Bono but they could buy the glass he just drank out of. GENIUS !!

And the new guy in the stores ringing the female receptionist of a drinks supplier and ordering what a barman had ordered from the store earlier that day. Not his fault he was from the country and didn't realize how bad ordering 3 dozen bottles of gee juice was. Lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

irish1967 wrote: »
    Also remember we were losing dozens of pint glasses a week. Finally found out a barman was selling dirty pint glasses for £5 each to Spanish students and telling them they had just missed Bono but they could buy the glass he just drank out of. GENIUS !!

Brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I see there is a facebook page for Jesters - The Reunion. Shudders!

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I see there is a facebook page for Jesters - The Reunion. Shudders!

How tragic a night out would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Used to work there part time around that time (well the late 80s and maybe the early 90s). Hours were crazy, with 13 hour days and early starts on the Sunday for lunch prep.

Used love the weddings in the upstairs reception room. 4 beer taps - Guiness / Smithwicks / Harp and Lager - god, we used to sell all lager types from the one tap although it only had Carlsberg on the pipe. Some punters would fall for the "foot switch" which let us change the keg to draw from.

I see Arthur around Shankill still. Mind you, he's not getting Joe to wave from the Merc any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thebang1978

i worked there for about 2 years about 92-94 remember auther not seen him since do see john jo the chef and the bar manager mick's wife works in the canteen in dell

i loved working there loads of brillent memories

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yeah, I worked there when they renovated the Lounge in 1990, I worked with the electrician, we had great laugh on opening night, I wired the extractor fan the wrong way and it was bloeing smoke in instead of extracting it.

21/25

Advertisement