Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoneDeal no-hunting/shooting policy - Read mod note #138

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

We are all grown ups here, i think if someone is apposed they should at least let us know why

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

that pole was a brilliant idea to add :D:Dbut cant believe someone voted no :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

smokin ace wrote: »
    that pole was a brilliant idea to add :D:Dbut cant believe someone voted no :eek::eek:

2 have :eek::eek:

I wonder who ;)

2 have :eek::eek:

I wonder who ;)
    I wonder if they will all hide behind the little no button and keep quiet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Now guys everyone is entitled to their opinion, as long as its not forced upon others there's nothing wrong with it.

Just remember I'm sure there's more than us shooting folk that look at ths forum ;)

• Advertisement

tfox wrote: »
    Now guys everyone is entitled to their opinion, as long as its not forced upon others there's nothing wrong with it.

Just remember I'm sure there's more than us shooting folk that look at ths forum ;)

yes your right BUT WHY

yes your right BUT WHY

Trolls lurk on the Hunting forums to try and find areas they can try and nabb hunters on.

Trolls lurk on the Hunting forums to try and find areas they can try and nabb hunters on.

there is 3 trolls going around here then
    anyone hear any news on the meeting at done deal

No Image there??
    Have you the full link?

i made a mess of it so i cancelled it
    i think i have it now
    http://www.fxdeco.com/makeup/troll.jpg
    are these the trolls you speak of

• Advertisement

i made a mess of it so i cancelled it
    tut tut:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

..........................We are a classifieds website for general sale of items, we are NOT a website specific for hunting and therefore some of our terms and conditions are not going to apply to your specific requests.

Only catching up on this now.

As I see it, DoneDeal has two separate issues.
    The first is how to handle “complaints” by anti-hunting people for advertising items that do not conform to the anti-hunting agenda.

The second is how to handle the advertising of items that could be outside the law and thus leave them open to prosecution.

Unless they are asleep DoneDeal would know that hunting items pose far less risk to DoneDeal than fake designer gear such as this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/womenclothes/1552822 or this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/womenclothes/1511754 that currently are advertised. They would be fully aware that earlier this year eBay was fined a few hundred thousand euro in Paris for facilitating the sale of fake Louis Vuitton and will be fined €1k for every future item advertised.

Hopefully Donedeal is aware by now that hunters are not going to be foolish enough to lose their licences forever for doing something stupid, like selling a firearm illegally. On the other hand, somebody with fake designer labels operating from a garage can get away with doing stupid things for as long as there are garages – it is much easier to go after the intermediary, as LVMH proved!!

An option open to DoneDeal is to allow hunting merchandise advertisers post a brief advert (one that will trap keyword search) with a link to a bigger advert on the Boards.ie for sale page. In the event of a sale an ‘honour system’ payment of €5 to Boards.ie could prove a nice little earner.;)

In fairness, Donna should be thanked for her interest, she is being very fair.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Still though 48 votes in a few hours isn't bad, there could of course also be one or two who will vote no when they see this thread pop up on the main boards page like just after I post this!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

4 votes against, not bad, but why vote and not give a reason, just curious to know why you dont think its a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The 52 for votes didn't give a reason either jap, just let it go already. This is why small groups like ICABS are given disproportionate amounts of influence; people need a wee bit of perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I voted no. I'm against most forms of hunting from a moral perspective, and I don't buy any of the "culling" crap that is often spewed to defend outdated practices or tradition.

Thankfully there's not much hunting in the rural area where I live. They stopped a few years ago, as I just called the Gardai to the field where the shots were coming from and there has been no more shooting in the area since.

As long as hunters keep away, it's live and let live. If they appear and start shooting up the peaceful countryside around my home then expect resistance.

Note: I'm not here to debate, just giving my tuppence worth,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Given the chances the above post may be looking for a particular type of reply, bear in mind when composing any and all replies to it that it was asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ILA wrote: »
    I voted no. I'm against most forms of hunting from a moral perspective, and I don't buy any of the "culling" crap that is often spewed to defend outdated practices or tradition.

Thankfully there's not much hunting in the rural area where I live. They stopped a few years ago, as I just called the Gardai to the field where the shots were coming from and there has been no more shooting in the area since.

As long as hunters keep away, it's live and let live. If they appear and start shooting up the peaceful countryside around my home then expect resistance.

To be honest, it would be much better for all concerned here - as I personally am driven to respond to your post - if you would engage with people with whom you disagree. I personally would like to explain a few things to you, but there's no point if you're going to ignore established ecological practice and just leave the forum after posting once.

Welcome to the Shooting Forum.
    Thank you for voicing your opinion.

At least we now know who voted against.

Sparks wrote: »
    The 52 for votes didn't give a reason either jap, just let it go already. This is why small groups like ICABS are given disproportionate amounts of influence; people need a wee bit of perspective.

what?? let what exactly go?? i have given my reason, am i not aloud to ask someones reason in a discussion?? im not going having a go at anyone that wants to voice THEIR opinion, im just interested in what THEY have the say if thats ok with you

• Advertisement

thanks at least you came on to let us know, hard to have a debate with out people from both sides having their say

jap gt wrote: »
    what?? let what exactly go?? i have given my reason, am i not aloud to ask someones reason in a discussion??
    Don't be daft, of course you are.
    It's just that that isn't what was happening here. There was an anonymous poll put up, and you were demanding (not asking, not in context) what one side was voting no for, when it was obvious it was going to be because they didn't support hunting.

If people who voted no come on and give their view (which they were free to do), that would be a discussion; but you were calling them out. Not the same thing.

And not it's not helpful to hunting or shooting in general, by the way, because it's this sort of thing is exactly what legitimises extremist idiots like ICABS - ie. folk who, despite being self-evidently in the right morally and legally, get into arguments with the likes of those who are sent to prison because they commit illegal acts in lieu of civilised debate.

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't be daft, of course you are.
    It's just that that isn't what was happening here. There was an anonymous poll put up, and you were demanding (not asking, not in context) what one side was voting no for, when it was obvious it was going to be because they didn't support hunting.

If people who voted no come on and give their view (which they were free to do), that would be a discussion; but you were calling them out. Not the same thing.

And not it's not helpful to hunting or shooting in general, by the way, because it's this sort of thing is exactly what legitimises extremist idiots like ICABS - ie. folk who, despite being self-evidently in the right morally and legally, get into arguments with the likes of those who are sent to prison because they commit illegal acts in lieu of civilised debate.

i fail to see the problem in asking someone who took the time to answer a poll about hunting, what the reason behind the vote was, this is a shooting forum which would have you believe its hunters that vote, if a no vote comes up i would like to know if its a hunter thats against the ads

this is a shooting forum which would have you believe its hunters that vote, if a no vote comes up i would like to know if its a hunter thats against the ads

To clarify something here :)

The first line of this forums charter reads as follows;

"This forum is for the discussion of sports shooting related subjects, including techniques, equipment and events, in all disciplines; as well as for discussion of shooting as it pertains to hunting in Ireland."

So the forum is about shooting, but to say it's a shooting forum, or a forum singularly for hunters, isn't technically correct. Once that's grasped it's easier to see how and why people with different views arrive in and have their say. "Discussion" is the all important word there. We're not insulated from the rest of the worlds views, sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not. How we deal with it is important though.

The forum is one of many, I don't know how many but a hell of a lot, hundreds if not more, which makes up the entire site. Most members have access to most forums, updated threads show up on the home page from all across the forums. So in reality anyone can see a thread title, click on it, and post, without ever having to physically click that they want to enter the Shooting forum. They just enter the thread directly.

i fail to see the problem in asking someone who took the time to answer a poll about hunting, what the reason behind the vote was, this is a shooting forum which would have you believe its hunters that vote, if a no vote comes up i would like to know if its a hunter thats against the ads
    /facepalm

Okay, here it is, bluntly.
    Until people started demanding (not asking) to know why 5 people voted no, nobody cared about them.
    All anyone saw was 50-odd votes in favour against a tiny number against.
    Now, we have a dozen or so posts highlighting those who voted against, wondering why they did so, trying to get them to post here, presumably to kill time by having Yet Another entrenched shouting match for entertainment.
    This is why people listen to ICABS and HSI and the other extremist idiots. Because for some reason, people are more interested in the fight than in the end result, and we insist on obliging them instead of getting what we want. Which is also, for those that missed it, the reason for about half of the politics that strangles our sports' administration and puts so many off volunteering to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I think the poll was a stupid idea - a poll on any activity-specific site will get a no-brainer response until the 'anti' side find out about it and get their friends to vote to skew the results. It tells us nothing.
    P

no need for the facepalm :mad: i asked a question, i didnt asked to be talked down to, i for one would like the people that voted no to post here, just out of interest to see what their reasons are and maybe change their opinions, i got the reply i wanted no one started a slagging match so wheres the harm

I think the poll was a stupid idea - a poll on any activity-specific site will get a no-brainer response until the 'anti' side find out about it and get their friends to vote to skew the results. It tells us nothing.
    P

It tells us the number Pedro. Numbers are what's important to a business like Donedeal. The idea being that more people - limited to the users of this site who see the actual thread - are against the no lamping policy than for it, therefore it may in some way negatively affect their revenue. So that may show Donedeal it's not actually in their interests to keep up such a policy into the future.

Or we cave, attempt to change nothing, and accept all ICABS, The Green Party and the like would have us force fed.

P

There should be just yes vote then so, all the poll is to see how many would like to see Donedeal adverts on hunting.

We already know a small minority do not want it.
    We want to show how many do want it,
    So get Voting Guys and Gals!

• Advertisement

If it was just a vote yes poll, we'd be better served just pointing out how many people are involved in fieldsports, because we already know that number, and none of them (bar any working for donedeal's competitors) would have any reason to vote no.

Advertisement