Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoneDeal no-hunting/shooting policy - Read mod note #138

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jap gt wrote: »
    wheres the harm
    That's the question that prompted the reply you described as being talked down to.

Just like asking why someone voted no, it's a question whose answer you're just not going to like or accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Sparks wrote: »
    That's the question that prompted the reply you described as being talked down to.

Just like asking why someone voted no, it's a question whose answer you're just not going to like or accept.

i already said i accepted the answer i recieved and if you look back you will see i thanked the poster for his/her answer, if hunters were to have a problem with everyone that was anti we would have no time for shooting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Thanks to all for their civilised response to my post. I don't have any motivations in posting on the thread, so I'm not attempting anything malicious.

Nor am I representative of the "anti-hunting lobby", I am simply an individual and just don't like the hunting of animals and think it's simply outdated, as well as being disruptive to others living in the country. In the case I described, the sound of the shooting frightened my own dog and was generally annoying having repeated bangs going off every few minutes.

I also just don't see how people are into it, or how they can kill animals without a care. <mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If it was just a vote yes poll, we'd be better served just pointing out how many people are involved in fieldsports, because we already know that number, and none of them (bar any working for donedeal's competitors) would have any reason to vote no.

I accept your reasons BUT

Do we not want to show how many want to see hunting adverts?

If X amount state they want these adverts, which is greater than the Y antis

then , a good business person would go with "X"

Or am I missing the point here

Thousands view boards.ie shooting forum, "i" thought that the Poll was to show how Donedeal.ie were missing out on a sizable market by discriminating on grounds of Hunting?

They already have acted on the NO vote, So they need to see how Big the "Yes" vote is?

I accept your reasons BUT
    Do we not want to show how many want to see hunting adverts?
    Sure, if we could do that directly. Thing is, while we're fairly popular these days, we still don't get a majority of licence holders let alone a majority of all those involved in fieldsports.

In fact, as far as I know, there is no means to contact all of those with licences to ask them anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Or am I missing the point here

Kind of, IMO. As above, we're not insulated from the rest of the world, this may be a help here, or a hindrance depending on how it goes. We may be able to show more support for hunting items than against it. But, only if people vote in favour of repealing the ban.

It's a compare and contrast type thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

did any one ever think of the possibility that some people from the shooting ( target) might not like hunting or is the idea totally absurd :o

johngalway wrote: »
    Kind of, IMO. As above, we're not insulated from the rest of the world, this may be a help here, or a hindrance depending on how it goes. We may be able to show more support for hunting items than against it. But, only if people vote in favour of repealing the ban.

It's a compare and contrast type thing.

i get what you are saying, I was just playing Devils Advicate
    For Donedeal.ie its what sells "legally" that is what is worth advertising.

As the shooting/hunting forum usually gets thousands of views but only hundreds or less of posts.

If "I" were donedeal.ie i would want to know how big of a market share I have available to advertise with.

Business is Businees, If Antis's can sour the apple tart then DD.ie will drop hunting like a hot sno*

however, if DD.ie see a place to gain market share; as any good business, they will see a place to expand.

If you sell potatoes, and 150 say NOOOOOOOOO
    but 150000 say Yes
    in business you will go with who ever pays the bills.

I thought the reason of the Poll was to establish how many wanted the section to stay?

I'm trying to be objective here, I may have a biased view, but in Business CASH IS KING ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Has anyone not thought that DoneDeal are a privately owned enterprise who are free to do whatever the hell they like, and its up to them to change their policy if they so wish to do so.

If they don't want to do that, then you just have to take your adverts elsewhere. There's certainly no shortage of classified advertisers on the go, and if they all get the moral courage to ban hunting related items then I guess you'll have to start your own specific classified site.

4gun wrote: »
    did any one ever think of the possibility that some people from the shooting ( target) might not like hunting or is the idea totally absurd :o

I won't speak for members of this site, as I don't know their views on the subject.

But, on another, totally less good site, that had a lot of target shooters and plinkers there was a fair few against the hunting types. And weren't afraid to say it, but that's another days work. So the notion isn't absurd but I wouldn't like to speak for anyone else on that.

• Advertisement

Dunno about absurd, but I think it's the first time in 16 years I've heard someone suggest target shooters might do something like that because they don't like hunting. I mean, not hunt themselves, yes, sure; but actually try to take something away from hunters?

It did TBH

I know loads of lads in the DF who would NEVER kill an animal!

I had to demonstrate once on how to skin a rabbit.

"not shot by me might I add"

3 out of a group of 20 said i was a "sick basta**"
    I was very used to it, so to me it was like peeling a banana.

I know a lot of Target shooters who have"Noooooooooo" interest in Hunting.

I normally do not mention "hunting" unless I am amongst friends as often you get more arguments that it is worth to stay sthumm

johngalway wrote: »
    ...there was a fair few against the hunting types. And weren't afraid to say it
    What, seriously?
    Feck.
    That's a new one on me.
    I mean, usually we're too busy accusing sub-sets of target shooting of stuff to even notice anyone else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I just spent the last week dealing with I don't know how many hundred college students, a good majority of them first years, on behalf of the college rifle club. It's difficult to strike a balance. There are those we have to spend quite some time reassuring that we're not a hunting club and doesn't kill animals. We've got several strongly vegetarian anti-hunting members who are good and committed shots, and it's something I've seen elsewhere too, so yeah, there are target shooters who are opposed to hunting.

ILA wrote: »
    Has anyone not thought that DoneDeal are a privately owned enterprise who are free to do whatever the hell they like, and its up to them to change their policy if they so wish to do so.

If they don't want to do that, then you just have to take your adverts elsewhere. There's certainly no shortage of classified advertisers on the go, and if they all get the moral courage to ban hunting related items then I guess you'll have to start your own specific classified site.

I think it's already well established on this thread that Donedeal have the right to decide their own policies, no one is arguing that. Past, current and future customers of Donedeal also have the right to contact Donedeal and engage with them in relation to those same policies.

We have many options on how we react to this situation. Walking away certainly is one of them, but it's not one I'd expect to see too well exercised. All policies are subject to change after all :D

One mans moral courage is an other mans discrimination, it's belief dependent only.

What, seriously?
    Feck.
    That's a new one on me.
    I mean, usually we're too busy accusing sub-sets of target shooting of stuff to even notice anyone else :D

Mine wasn't an Irish experience. IWM got that it seems.

What, seriously?
    Feck.
    That's a new one on me.

I used to "assume" that Target lads would love varminting.

I was very wrong.
    In fact some loathed mise for even mentioning the same.

There are very obscure views out there.
    A PDF man once said to me that no civies should have "weapons" not my words his**

I asked him why?
    He said, who would take control?
    i asked, Free will???

This may sound bizarre but it is true.

I know a lot of Target shooter with "0" interest in Hunting, I genuinely offered hunting to several on here and they refused.

When i was starting out i would have jumped at the chance to hunt somewhere else.

many on here jump on any post i make where i shoot rabbits with anything other than a .22lr
    A Genuine hunter would not care what killed an animal, once you could still use the flesh afterwards would be their consideration.

I notice my profile gets a lot of Anti's views.
    I also surmise many Anti's would love to know who i am.

For that reason, I try to remain vague about my personal life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Thanks to all for their civilised response to my post. I don't have any motivations in posting on the thread, so I'm not attempting anything malicious.

Nor am I representative of the "anti-hunting lobby", I am simply an individual and just don't like the hunting of animals and think it's simply outdated, as well as being disruptive to others living in the country. In the case I described, the sound of the shooting frightened my own dog and was generally annoying having repeated bangs going off every few minutes.

I also just don't see how people are into it, or how they can kill animals without a care. <mod snip>

just because some one disturbs the tranquility of the countryside is not a good enought reason tho be calling the guards on some one who has permission to shoot in your area.....
    Hunting is not about killing an animal if it was purely for blood lust there would be easier and far more cheaper ways of satisfying that.....in essance you are pitting your skills against an animal that has evolved to avoid being hunted...they have the advantages of better hearing, smell speed and stamina
    huntind does help to improve the stock of animals being hunted by removing "weaker" from the gene pool and preventing in breeding in areas of high concentration
    Once wolves were reintrouced back into yellowstone national pk in the U.S there have been a significant improvment to the bison in the park ...that option is not possible in this country so hunting is necessary to fill in that role...
    Lastly I genuinley respect your right to your opionion as being opposed to hunting, so long as you respect my right to hunt

Yeah Tack, but zero interest is precisely that - zero. As in, not positive, not negative. I've known target shooters who wouldn't hunt themselves (hell, I'm one) but none who'd want to see it stopped.

Yeah Tack, but zero interest is precisely that - zero. As in, not positive, not negative. I've known target shooters who wouldn't hunt themselves (hell, I'm one) but none who'd want to see it stopped.

I know a few that would though.. Several in fact

I see both sides of the spectrum

I have sister that is a veggie, yet it was the fathers bullocks that paid for her college!!

I've been called blood thirsty several times on here, yet I only have 1 deer in my freezer to date this season.

I do shoot rather a lot of rabbits, however; to date, I have never found a carcass!!

Yet ICABS would see me as a Target (look at my profile views).
    As a hunter I'm more wary of them than NPWS or An Gardaí

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I also just don't see how people are into it, or how they can kill animals without a care.
    You make a number of points above and in your previous post which demonstrate a lack of knowledge of the issues involved. Firstly I'm not a hunter, it never really appealed to me after starting my shooting career doing it. Shooting animals or birds was purely done to protect crops or livestock. I even shot dogs that were attacking sheep as well as foxes. If you'd ever seen (as I have), a trailer load of dead sheep with their throats torn out by dogs, you'd probably do the same, because there are people out there who don't give a toss what their dogs get up to. A neighbour of mine was sold two dogs a few years ago that turned out to be killers and weren't informed by the previous owners that this was the case. They were both shot in the act of killing sheep.

That's one side of the coin, and a very important one. Pretty much every animal which can be legally hunted, has the capability of destroying their or other habitats if allowed to breed unabated. Deer have no natural predators here and that's why their population has to be controlled. They do huge damage to young trees which is why Coillte let their forests be hunted and in fact have instigated a proficiency test for hunters on their lands.

You then also have non-native species that not only reduce the food supply for native species (like the grey squirrel to the red squirrel), but in some cases (like the Mink) completely denude an area of wildlife in a very short time.

There is no easy or efficient method of controlling or eradicating these species, no matter what the Green Party say (and the very fact that John Gormley signed an all year round open season on the Muntjac Deer proves this) other than hunting.

Different people get different things from hunting, but many that I know find it to be a very relaxing and enjoyable days walking in the country with the chance of getting something for the pot or providing a service free of charge to a local farmer at the end of it. It's not much different from fishing in that regard but with more exercise ;)

rrpc wrote: »
    You make a number of points above and in your previous post which demonstrate a lack of knowledge of the issues involved. Firstly I'm not a hunter, it never really appealed to me after starting my shooting career doing it. Shooting animals or birds was purely done to protect crops or livestock. I even shot dogs that were attacking sheep as well as foxes. If you'd ever seen (as I have), a trailer load of dead sheep with their throats torn out by dogs, you'd probably do the same, because there are people out there who don't give a toss what their dogs get up to. A neighbour of mine was sold two dogs a few years ago that turned out to be killers and weren't informed by the previous owners that this was the case. They were both shot in the act of killing sheep.

That's one side of the coin, and a very important one. Pretty much every animal which can be legally hunted, has the capability of destroying their or other habitats if allowed to breed unabated. Deer have no natural predators here and that's why their population has to be controlled. They do huge damage to young trees which is why Coillte let their forests be hunted and in fact have instigated a proficiency test for hunters on their lands.

You then also have non-native species that not only reduce the food supply for native species (like the grey squirrel to the red squirrel), but in some cases (like the Mink) completely denude an area of wildlife in a very short time.

There is no easy or efficient method of controlling or eradicating these species, no matter what the Green Party say (and the very fact that John Gormley signed an all year round open season on the Muntjac Deer proves this) other than hunting.

Different people get different things from hunting, but many that I know find it to be a very relaxing and enjoyable days walking in the country with the chance of getting something for the pot or providing a service free of charge to a local farmer at the end of it. It's not much different from fishing in that regard but with more exercise ;)

Well put RRPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

yeah i agree very well put rrpc, im glad ILA posted and fair play for doing so, i hope at the very least your opinion of hunters has changed a bit, i am not sugesting for a second you change your views on hunting but i hope after being involved in this thread you have a better understanding of it as you said in a post
    I also just don't see how people are into it, or how they can kill animals without a care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

While some of the target shooters may have no interest in hunting some of the equipment they use such as scopes may also be affected by this ban, to my mind its really a ban on all firearm related equipment, I am of course open to correction on this!! I know some animal welfare people and I fully respect their opinions and indeed agree with most of them particurarly in relation to the treatment of domestic animals, they are after all the ones who are most in need of rescuing! I think all hunters here have a deep respect for all animals and birds be they domestic or wild. Hunting for food or for the protection of livestock is one of them most natural things in the world and has been a part of human existance since we came down from the trees and dropped the bananas!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

I have been thinking about this whole issue the last few days and any way I cut it this whole issue is just wrong. I mean no disrespect to Spark but the poll idea means nothing and is open to abuse. If anything it just gives anti's and anybody who feels like it or gets asked a chance to come in and throw an opinion into something just because they do not agree or support our way of life. I am not even calling it a sport because to me hunting is much more a way a life than a sport and that cant be said about most sports.

This is my thinking on it all. Why is it because animals die/ culled whatever way you want to put it that we need to feel bad for what we do. It has been proven,stated and agreed that these things need to happen and yet some uneducated, narrow minded individual can come on and just say no. Sites have their own policy to allow or not allow things and I am done with Donedeal. You dont want to allow it fine your as narrow minded and idiotic as the rest of them and I shall take my business elsewhere. I think its ridiculous how we have been getting lots of negative comments for what we do. I mean what is the difference with fishing ? I shoot for my table and I dont go out blood thirsty just popping at everything that crosses my path unlike trawlers who wipe the sea beds of all fish life without a care or thought. I am sick to death of it all. Go to any pier and look at people taking everything that comes onto their hooks yet very little is said. Anti's should spend more time deciding what animals are really in need of their help and I assure you its not irish wild game.

If I go into a hunting site I am pretty sure what I will find is everything hunting yet these people come in have a look, are appauled by what they see as they dont agree with it then have a go at you for it, who the f@ck do you people think you are, get off your high horses and see what its about before you run that big mouth and if you know what its all about and still dont agree with it dont f@vking enter the forum, hunting is around long before any sport and hopefully it is here to stay. They say we are in modern times and hunting is not needed anymore ? Thats not for anyone to decide for anyone else, if you feel that way live your life that way and fair play to you but you dont see me abusing you for it saying hunting is the only way your all disgusting as you dont do it.

I understand why the poll was put up and I realise everyone has their opinion and on this site people are welcome to come on and give their opinion but what is p.issing me off is these polls always seem to be justifying why its ok to do what we do.I dont think we should have to justify it anymore, some people will just never understand and I am not interested in hearing why that is we all have our issues.

Sorry rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 weldersmask

prehaps it's time to change the rules about viewing certain sections of boards
    instead of sparks and co having to moderate and issue infactions to people who get wound up by anti comments maybe those who post in this section should have to agree to abide by certain special rules ie not post antihunting/shooting comments that way there might not be the mass exodus of the older regular posters that there seems to have been

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

to be honest i think this whole thread has gone off track
    first of all i started the tread with the heading
    DONE DEAL HAS LOST THE PLOT and there was so many changes that i am a bit p@issed over the changes were as follows
    the heading was DONE DEAL HAS LOST THE PLOT now its done deal no/hunting/shooting policy
    i added it to the hunting forum and it was moved to the shooting forum(dont really mind to much about that)
    there was a poll added on my behalf and just thinking about it all day it would be impossible for the poll to give a true result and the whole thing thread has turned altogether from trying to get done deal to change some of its policys to allow the sale of non-illegal hunting/shooting equipment now its changed to hunting folk and some anti hunting folk disagreeing over hunting and whether hunting is the done thing to do in this day and age

has no body realised that done deal has not got back to any of use to let us know what is happening and if they are willing to change there policys on hunting/shooting equipment or not

smokin ace wrote: »
    to be honest i think this whole thread has gone off track
    first of all i started the tread with the heading
    DONE DEAL HAS LOST THE PLOT and there was so many changes that i am a bit p@issed over the changes were as follows
    the heading was DONE DEAL HAS LOST THE PLOT now its done deal no/hunting/shooting policy
    i added it to the hunting forum and it was moved to the shooting forum(dont really mind to much about that)
    there was a poll added on my behalf and just thinking about it all day it would be impossible for the poll to give a true result and the whole thing thread has turned altogether from trying to get done deal to change some of its policys to allow the sale of non-illegal hunting/shooting equipment now its changed to hunting folk and some anti hunting folk disagreeing over hunting and whether hunting is the done thing to do in this day and age

has no body realised that done deal has not got back to any of use to let us know what is happening and if they are willing to change there policys on hunting/shooting equipment or not

Honestly what did you expect these are all reasons why Donedeal do not allow these items !! :confused::confused::confused:, Threads are there to be discussed and take different roads and angles, thats the idea of them

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i did not start this to end up like this and like i said everyone has forgot that done deal has not got back to any of us

• Advertisement

You should be happy with the amount of post this thread has received, just because its not taken or remained in the direction you wanted doesnt mean its a bad thing, it shows just how complex this topic is and the different opinions that are out there, hopefully we have educated people into our way of thinking and they might understand it all a bit better, if there is something you feel that should have been mentioned or wasnt covered speak up !!

Nobody has forgotten about Donedeal, they have their meeting on a Friday if I read correctly, maybe they have taken the weekend to go away and think about it all, I hardly think they came on and gave us reasons and answers earlier in the thread to just drop it all and forget about us, something tells me that whatever the outcome they will be on justifying their stance on it all, good or bad !!

Advertisement