Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah, everything is going poorly, we're awful in every aspect of the game, even just now on the punt we were awful. We have no business winning the division with this kind of performance.

And now a safety... I'm off to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's embarrassing how bad this defense is. Give Tucker a pass because of injuries? F*ck that. All these guys are on the team because they are good enough to play in the NFL. Still can't tackle and are getting gashed by the same play multiple times a game.

Another backup RB killing us. Bryce Brown with a 65 yard TD and he has 115 yards on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

They should issue the league an apology for that. Absolute farce from cover to cover.

Goodnight to Peppers, Podlesh, Garza, Hester, Tucker and DeCamillis. None of them worth a spot. Shea is a bust, unutterably useless. Couldn't believe how bad the O-line was. Yet another bad start from the Offence.

The only good news from the day is that quite a few contract demands took hits, bearing in mind Melton's incident too, but it's little comfort. I was so embarrassed watching that.

Well this thread has been very quiet! I suppose after last week some serious nerves are inevitable, especially with Rodgers back. We have reasons to be optimistic though. For one thing, we can't be as bad as we were last week again and I think it would be a mistake to read to much into a game in which we were out coached and then it got away from us.

Also, as bad as our d is, Rodgers can't solve how terrible the pack are against the pass. I expect Marshall and Jeffery to atone for last week with big performances.

I'm realistic though, we are up against it, and a loss would be no shock at all. In fact a rusty gb passing offense beating us in a close game might spare us a walloping in January, but it's been so long since we've been there (and we fired lovie for not making it) that I'd love to see us get a win against what seems to be a very cocky gb fan base once again.

For this fixture last year I was lucky enough to be in soldier field with the Chicago skyline overlooking the event. This year, next best thing...a southern ohio sports bar, a pile of wings, and more beers than is wise on your birthday. Hopefully the bears can give me the second best present I've ever gotten! (the best was the tickets to the game last year obviously)

I'd love to see us get a win against what seems to be a very cocky gb fan base once again.

Oi, we can hear you talking, we're in the room next door! ;)

No GB fan should be cocky. Some of us still remember the Ditka era and that famine for GB, and the maulings that were handed out.

On the other hand, it was the Ditka era that for me makes any win v the Bears now just so sweet!

But after a few good seasons, know that a backlash has to come soon, just hoping its not tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Big one today. I'm glad Rodgers is playing. Getting through against a Matt Flynn-led Packers wouldn't mean much. Win, and it'll be an achievement, lose, and at least you know where you are.

Expecting a good performance, after last week's debacle, I think they'll be focused on doing the basics well. Whether it'll be enough to win, we'll see, but I think they'll do themselves justice. Would like to see Jeffery have a big game, got robbed this time last year against the Packers with some horrible OPI calls.

Oi, we can hear you talking, we're in the room next door! ;)

No GB fan should be cocky. Some of us still remember the Ditka era and that famine for GB, and the maulings that were handed out.

On the other hand, it was the Ditka era that for me makes any win v the Bears now just so sweet!

But after a few good seasons, know that a backlash has to come soon, just hoping its not tonight.

Calling the opposition fans cocky is a handy way to get motivated (for a day of wings and drinking). I actually think the gb Chicago rivalry is fantastic precisely because of the friendliness of it, and the fact that, historically, the clubs literally owe one another their existence and survival.

But still, **** the packers.

I also agree with padraic, it will mean more to win or lose with Rodgers playing. There'd be no excuses available, we'd know better where we stand going into the playoffs (let's face it whoever wins the NFC north at the moment would be regarded as the worst team inthe playoffs). Anyway if we can't beat green bay we are better off not playing the 9ers or panthers or whoever else might be lying in wait.

Calling the opposition fans cocky is a handy way to get motivated (for a day of wings and drinking). I actually think the gb Chicago rivalry is fantastic precisely because of the friendliness of it, and the fact that, historically, the clubs literally owe one another their existence and survival.

The funny thing about the Bears is I hate them (and, to a lesser extent, the Vikings and Lions)...but if anyone knocks the Bears or the NFC North in general I remind them that so much of the history of the game is centred on those franchises, and so many of the all time greats have worn the colours of one or other, or in the case of Halas and Lombardi coached one or other. It is an iconic rivalry, with iconic characters and moments. For me it's the best thing in the NFL, a win v the Bears casts a ray of sunshine on even a bad season. My favourite moment in football is not some Superbowl or Championship, it's the Instant Replay...

The funny thing about the Bears is I hate them (and, to a lesser extent, the Vikings and Lions)...but if anyone knocks the Bears or the NFC North in general I remind them that so much of the history of the game is centred on those franchises, and so many of the all time greats have worn the colours of one or other, or in the case of Halas and Lombardi coached one or other. It is an iconic rivalry, with iconic characters and moments. For me it's the best thing in the NFL, a win v the Bears casts a ray of sunshine on even a bad season. My favourite moment in football is not some Superbowl or Championship, it's the Instant Replay...

YEah the fact that this game is a playoff decider is really perfect but the fact is winning the game is its own goal. Lovie smith had made three promises as bears head coach, and aside from winning the Super Bowl, the main one was beating the pack. It's an important enough goal that if he had been doing it consistently it might have been enough to save his job.

Only 7 months until training camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

That Boykin TD should haunt the Bears' defence forever more, amateurish to let something like that happen and it proved the difference between the teams at the end of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Syferus wrote: »
    That Boykin TD should haunt the Bears' defence forever more, amateurish to let something like that happen and it proved the difference between the teams at the end of the game.

Yeah that was bad, 4th and 8, difficult completion, no need to send the house and leave a guy wide open over the top.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah that was bad, 4th and 8, difficult completion, no need to send the house and leave a guy wide open over the top.

If Mel Tucker is back next year..I swear to christ..

He isn't good. He coached 1 good D in 2011 and apart from that, dog ****. He needs to go.

From bears forum:

His career record speaks for itself.

2008: 1st year as a DC in Cleveland & finished as the 26th overall defense

2009: 24th in points allowed, 23rd in yards allowed, 28th in DVOA

2010: 27th in points allowed, 28th in yards allowed, 32nd in DVOA

2011: 11th in points allowed, 6th in yards allowed, 5th in DVOA

2012: 29th in points allowed, 30th in yards allowed, 28th in DVOA

2013: We have just witnessed the worst defense in Chicago Bears history & it is responsible for 6 losses this season.

Yup. Threw it away. Horrible. We did what we needed to do. But we didn't do it. So there you go.

Not sure what to say, I felt genuinely sick last night.

It was a good watch with 2 loaded offences. Some of the defending was genuinely disgraceful. There are a few key plays that come to mind. The flat out howler of a call on Shea for the first field goal. I won’t sleep thinking about the first Pack TD. The Jennings missed tackle on Nelson was just criminal and proved fatal. And the 4th and 8 was just Mel Tucker’s year illustrated perfectly in one play..

Jay is our quarterback and will stay so. A centre is essential but aside from that it’s D and special teams all the way in the off-season. The one positive to take is that we are on course for a top 5 defensive prospect in the draft which is encouraging. A defensive end or that boy Dix at safety look likely.

Well done to the Packers, I hope they show the North up well in the post-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Absolutely gutted after that. So close but yet so far. The defense on both teams was a joke but the Packers were just given way to much space. With it been Rodgers first game back the defense should have hounded him all night. Massive work to be done in the off season but encouraging for next season with that offence. Really hope Tillman returns but have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jay cutler signs 7 year deal with bears.
    https://twitter.com/bradbiggs/status/418767010244222976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jay cutler signs 7 year deal with bears.
    https://twitter.com/bradbiggs/status/418767010244222976

That was quick, waiting to see what the money hit is now

In other news Tim Jennings & Matt Slauson signed as well for 1 year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308197/article/jay-cutler-resigns-with-chicago-bears-through-2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

7 years???? How injury prone will he be after like 3 of those? Remeber your body breaks down as you get older and well Cutler's hasn't held up too well lately. Two different injuries this year and plenty before that.

Hope it's a case of amount per year being reduced based on length of contract. Still we could end up with a lot of dead cap if we don't trade him in time on the downgrade side - risky. Peppers anyone?

Delighted to get Slauson back anyway, will need to see the Jennings terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

That was quick, waiting to see what the money hit is now

In other news Tim Jennings & Matt Slauson signed as well for 1 year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308197/article/jay-cutler-resigns-with-chicago-bears-through-2020

Both are 4 years per what i'm reading btw.

• Advertisement

Delighted :D

It sounds like a long contract but I'll wait and see what the deal is like. I assume it was done this way to keep the cap hit low. That's a very important thing right now, given the urgent need to fix the defense. We only get one more year of alshon at bottom dollar as well so it would be nice to do some winning next year while the potential is there to have a number one offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

As a Packer fan, this is great news!

On another note, how quick doors our front office work? Jennings Slauson Gould Cutler all touted up before the playoffs get going. I thought Cutler would drag on for a few months minimum.

Anyone know what the deal is with peppers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's been reported on twitter that the deal averages $18M for the first three years, but no final numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Totally mental to give a 31 year-old (by pre-season) above average QB a seven year contract with 50 million guaranteed (which is the truly frightening aspect) after he's been out-played by his back-up and can't stay healthy anyways.

Emery has set himself up for a world of pain paying Culter like a franchise QB. So many ways this can go wrong. Would have been much smarter to franchise him and let him prove he's worth the big bucks next year.

Hopefully McCown finds a team where he's within an ass's roar of being in contention for starting, he's earned that much at least.

Totally mental to give a 31 year-old (by pre-season) above average QB a seven year contract with 50 million guaranteed (which is the truly frightening aspect) after he's been out-played by his back-up and can't stay healthy anyways.

Emery has set himself up for a world of pain paying Culter like a franchise QB. So many ways this can go wrong. Would have been much smarter to franchise him and let him prove he's worth the big bucks next year.

Hopefully McCown finds a team where he's within an ass's roar of being in contention for starting, he's earned that much at least.
    Mccown did well this year coming in but his career stats would not indicate he would have a starting job. Age wise, he's 35. He has also said he's not even sure he wants a back up job. He feels he's missing out on his children growing up. This is a guy who was working as a high school gym teacher last year and he doesn't strike me as someone who needs or wants the pressure of a high profile NFL job at this stage in his life.

It all makes him very likeable, but for a team with playoff or superbowl ambitions he is probably not your guy.

The 7 years means sweet f all. If it’s 54 for the first three then that will be 80% or so of the guaranteed I’d imagine. There will be little cost in cutting him after 4/5.

Slauson is a nice signing- keeping that line in tact (Bar Garza) and we’re sweet. Jennings is a decent corner, if the money is reasonable I’m happy.

Has anyone seen the press conference? There are reports Emery said Shea will move to linebacker. This is great news for me. He isn’t anything resembling a DE.

Apparently the press conference was awesome- I think we’re in very good hands with Emery and Trest. Excited about this off-season.

And anyone who thinks we should have signed McCown as our starter for next year is genuinely crazy. A 35 year old, unsure if he even wants to play the sport anymore.

• Advertisement

You should have put this at the start, then I wouldn't have bothered wasting my time reading the rest.

McCown is a backup. He played well in the system and came out of the season with MVP numbers because he played bad teams.
    He doesn't stand a chance at any other team in the league looking for a QB.

Advertisement