Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Bro, Clausen is terrible. I mean, the guy can't play.

Jay cutler isn't setting the world alight to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Rumours already the Titans would want him, we were interested last year, we have a lot of cap space this year but do we want to blow a lot of that in Cutler? I'm not so sure

I don't think his contract is that bad now the Bears have swallowed $22.5m of it this year. Leaves $31.5m to be paid over the next two years (then team options after that). With the salary cap going up, a top-ranked QB would probably get $25m in a new contract, so $16m-odd for Cutler isn't too bad.

edit:

ok some of this year's was deferred.

"Jay Cutler had $5M of his 2014 comp ($22.5M) deferred until 2015. $2.5M of that will be pd 3/30/15 & $2.5M over 2015 season h/t @corryjoel"

So more like $18.5m/year, getting a bit steep at that alright.
    This move makes no sense. It hurts Jay’s trade value, pulls the curtains on Emery’s career and kills any semblance of morale left in the locker room.

Yeah still not sure what's going on. Possibly a two-fingers from Trestman to Emery, after Emery distanced himself from Trestman earlier in the week over the Kromer incident. But then you'd think if the move was done without ownership wishes, that Trestman would've been fired the following day.

Other possibility that makes some sense is ownership have decided to trade Cutler and don't want him injured in the last 2 games.

Adam Hoge has a good take here, that it's just ownership keeping their options open for the new coach and possibly GM:

Change Is In The Air: Benching Cutler Just The First Of Many Big Moves To Come
    A longterm Cutler decision doesn’t need to be made until March 13 and this is set up in a way where the McCaskeys can pitch the GM/head coach jobs in way where the candidates have the freedom to do whatever they want with Cutler.

Because let’s be honest, if Cutler was guaranteed to be on the 2015 roster, many possible candidates would be scared off. We don’t need Aaron Kromer to tell us that.

Whoever the Bears hire may want to get rid of Cutler. Fine. Goodbye. But it’s also possible they look at the cap situation and the other options out there and decide that keeping Cutler around for another year makes more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bro, Clausen is terrible. I mean, the guy can't play.

We all thought we were doomed with McCown too. He might play well under Trestman with no pressure. He had an impossible job in Carolina and here we have only seen him in pre-season.

Not saying he's going to put up 300 yards. But he is capable of managing a game and beating the Vikings.
    This move makes no sense. It hurts Jay’s trade value

That's not possible. He's been in the league since 2006 and every GM/coach in the league knows what you get with him. Starting him and him getting injured is the only thing that would hurt his trade value.
    Ah **** the draft pick, I'll give Emery one thing, he can draft (minus mclellin). I'm just sick of being embarrassed. And I don't fancy watching the ****ing Detroit lions embarrass us either. I'd rather drop down the board.

We are a national embarrassment no matter what. If we Bench cutler and then go out and win two games with Clausen it's even more embarrassing that we gave him $54, rolled with him for 14 weeks and then finally start winning when we bench him. I'd rather pick 7th than 13th-15th.

Press conference if anyone wants to listen to those two - http://www.chicagobears.com/live.html

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Press conference if anyone wants to listen to those two - http://www.chicagobears.com/live.html

Apparently Cutler will speak too.

"Marc Trestman, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Clausen and Aaron Kromer will meet the media at Halas Hall, in that order. #Bears"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

We all thought we were doomed with McCown too. He might play well under Trestman with no pressure. He had an impossible job in Carolina and here we have only seen him in pre-season.

Not saying he's going to put up 300 yards. But he is capable of managing a game and beating the Vikings.

That's not possible. He's been in the league since 2006 and every GM/coach in the league knows what you get with him. Starting him and him getting injured is the only thing that would hurt his trade value.

We are a national embarrassment no matter what. If we Bench cutler and then go out and win two games with Clausen it's even more embarrassing that we gave him $54, rolled with him for 14 weeks and then finally start winning when we bench him. I'd rather pick 7th than 13th-15th.

We haven't a hope in hell of beating the lions, I just don't want us embarrassed on the field again with the opposition in hysterics on the sideline.

Just watched a bit of the press conference, gist I got from Trestman was it was his decision to bench Cutler and it was a football decision.

He was hardly gonna say 'I know I'm on my way out so I'm gonna stick it to 'em', but sounds like he made the decision alright, didn't come from Emery or ownership.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Just watched a bit of the press conference, gist I got from Trestman was it was his decision to bench Cutler and it was a football decision.

He was hardly gonna say 'I know I'm on my way out so I'm gonna stick it to 'em', but sounds like he made the decision alright, didn't come from Emery or ownership.

Well listening too Emery, nothing is ever his decision anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

We are a national embarrassment no matter what.
    You're posting on a .ie site. Doesn't that by definition make any embarrassment international?

(What's the 'wry going on dark' emoticon?)

• Advertisement

Interesting reddit thread from a guy who talked to a Bears scout:
    Had a convo with a Bears scout...

Intrigued to see Clausen today. Thought he looked decent in the pre-season, but that was against vanilla defenses. Different story today against the Lions.

1st down screen to TE
    2nd and 10 screen to WR
    3rd and 9 run up the middle

What has happened to the playcalling this year?

Damn it, I'd actually forgotten it was on until I read this thread. Was all set up for a good evening. Just turned it on to see the lions going for it (of course why wouldn't they) and succeeding, then a touch down. I hate the bears right now.

Damn it, I'd actually forgotten it was on until I read this thread. Was all set up for a good evening. Just turned it on to see the lions going for it (of course why wouldn't they) and succeeding, then a touch down. I hate the bears right now.

I have no idea how Bush even caught that. He caught it at the tip.

Ok but I must admit, this drive has been enjoyable. Wilson doing nicely especially.

Although that ending isn't exactly a shock. Why is Kyle Long out?

Although that ending isn't exactly a shock. Why is Kyle Long out?

Hip injury.

Hip injury.

Well he managed to limit Suh a lot the last time so he'll be missed in situations like that, it's no wonder Clausen panicked there, wouldn't anyone.

Great int by vereen there, and the pressure from the D line on the whole drive has been good, but the secondary still being torched most I'd the time in the air. Still, did our coaches get balls for Christmas?

Love seeing fuller square off with his brother. I'm still enjoying a lot of our young guys, just need to get them real coaches. I'd also consider benching Bennett, his indiscipline has been a problem during the year (but he's on my fantasy team so hopefully they don't bench him).

OK that was just bananas.

Could have been 21-0 but it's 7-7. If the Lions stop making stupid errors they'll win by 3 TDs.

• Advertisement

Could have been 21-0 but it's 7-7. If the Lions stop making stupid errors they'll win by 3 TDs.

I've liked the performance, but the usual thing when we do well in a half has been the opposition make some adjustments and we have no plan B. Wouldn't surprise me to see the same.

Wait, NO, IT'S A TRAP!!! These hoors are already in the playoffs and they're gonna let us win so we get stuck with this shambles again next year. Those sneaky bastards.

Willie :(

One of the few bright spots looks like he's done for the year now.

Achilles injury. F*ck.

Willie Young injury is a disaster, he's one of the absolute highlights of the D, totally gutting injury to get.

What has to happen for them to fix the surface at Soldier?

We're being handed this game. I hope the ownership understand that when Trestman pleads his case for a chance without Cutler.

We're being handed this game. I hope the ownership understand that when Trestman pleads his case for a chance without Cutler.

****ing Troy Aikman saying he'd like Trestman to have another shot. The whole night they've turned this into what they've always wanted, a narrative in which Cutler is the only problem with the Bears. It's a narrative that's so wrong it defies belief, but it's the story Fox want to sell.

There's the D we know and hate.

You'd have to say looking at that terrible pass interference followed by pathetic run defence, it was Cutler's fault. One more year for trestman and the Tuckfence.

I liked the fire from Clausen there after the helmet to helmet. There has, in fact, been a lot to like today. But the dropped passes have been shocking.

And that was really unfortunate. Still, we weren't embarrassed today, and we haven't cost ourselves draft position either. The lions know they've been in a game. That's all I wanted.

• Advertisement

We'll be picking 7th if we just lose next week. Falcons & Giants both won.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Could drop to 11 with a win. You'd be losing out on the elite talent there by the looks of things so it's pretty big. Looks like Minny are all in though so I'd fancy them.

Clausen was far better than I expected. Doesn't have the arm to be a starter but might carve out a back-up place long term.

Could drop to 11 with a win. You'd be losing out on the elite talent there by the looks of things so it's pretty big. Looks like Minny are all in though so I'd fancy them.

Also...
    If the Bears win, they will finish third in the division and will host the New York Giants and travel to the New Orleans Saints next season. If the Vikings win, the Bears will finish in fourth place and host the Washington Redskins and travel to play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next season.

10 thoughts after Bears' loss to Lions - Brad Biggs

Let's go Vikings!

Pickle is out next week. Concussed on that dirty hit to the head.

David Fales time.

Pickle is out next week. Concussed on that dirty hit to the head.

David Fales time.

LMAO they're playing Jay. Oh sweet jesus they can't do anything right, can they?

What a stupid decision.

That was a scummy hit from Ansah. Feel bad for Clausen, did very well on short notice. Probably wasn't gonna be a starter, but was a good opportunity to solidify a backup role.

And yeah, they should be playing Fales. What's to be gained by playing Cutler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

The circus continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Ah **** the draft pick, I'll give Emery one thing, he can draft (minus mclellin).

I'm going to strongly disagree. You also can't dismiss blowing the McClellin pick at #19. He was brought in to bridge the talent gap between the Bears and the Packers through the draft. He has failed miserably.

I'm going to strongly disagree. You also can't dismiss blowing the McClellin pick at #19. He was brought in to bridge the talent gap between the Bears and the Packers through the draft. He has failed miserably.

Who are the really major errors in the draft though? I have two big problems with Emery, his contract negotiations and his coaching hires. His drafting and general talent evaluation has been decent without being spectacular.

Who are the really major errors in the draft though? I have two big problems with Emery, his contract negotiations and his coaching hires. His drafting and general talent evaluation has been decent without being spectacular.

Respectfully, I'm going to turn that question around ask 'who are the stars that he drafted?'. He's drafted players that probably wouldn't be playing with other teams within the divisions.

Again, he was hired to bridge the talent gap between the Bears and the Packers. He was supposed to be the 'super scout'. He isn't even close. He's filled out the roster with (I'll use your word here) 'decent' draft picks and undrafted free agents. Many of these players shouldn't even be on an NFL roster (UFAs).

This team has some of the worst special teams play that I have seen in my lifetime (I'm 46). Special teams are generally made up of those players mentioned.

I do completely agree with your other opinions on 'contracts' and 'coaching hires'. My point is that Emery needs to 'excel' in some aspect of his job. He is failing miserably across the boards.

Respectfully, I'm going to turn that question around ask 'who are the stars that he drafted?'. He's drafted players that probably wouldn't be playing with other teams within the divisions.

Again, he was hired to bridge the talent gap between the Bears and the Packers. He was supposed to be the 'super scout'. He isn't even close. He's filled out the roster with (I'll use your word here) 'decent' draft picks and undrafted free agents. Many of these players shouldn't even be on an NFL roster (UFAs).

This team has some of the worst special teams play that I have seen in my lifetime (I'm 46). Special teams are generally made up of those players mentioned.

I do completely agree with your other opinions on 'contracts' and 'coaching hires'. My point is that Emery needs to 'excel' in some aspect of his job. He is failing miserably across the boards.
    Well the stars he drafted would be Alshon and Kyle Long, and I think in coming years also Fuller. I'm not sure what players you think wouldn't make it onto another roster, except for a few pressed into service due to huge numbers of injuries at some positions. But while we might agree that someone like Jared Allen was overpaid, Emery also brought in guys like Ratliff, Houston, Young, Slauson, etc that have done pretty well. I know that's not drafting but everyone believed we were in win now mode and those were good signings.

My point isn't that he should stay, I want him fired as much as you, but his drafting has been alright. Alright isn't good enough, of course, but we're taking about a team with virtually no real highlights. His drafting is a marked improvement on that of his predecessor, and a good few of his picks well be crucial elements of a rebuild I really hope Emery himself will not be part of.

Oh and I agree about the special teams, it's one of the more overlooked balls ups off this team this year. The signing of a returner who is able to take a knee at the back of the end zone and make some moves when the chance is on, was far too little too late, and the whole situation of their kick return up until Marianis arrival was a great summation of how badly run the team has been.

• Advertisement

One of these days there's a book coming from someone inside on this shambles and I can't wait for it.

One of these days there's a book coming from someone inside on this shambles and I can't wait for it.

When players get around to autobiographies, that'll form a good chapter.

When players get around to autobiographies, that'll form a good chapter.

Wait until Briggs and Tillman retire.

Last day of the season tomorrow (thank god), though Monday will probably be more interesting. Any predictions for what happens? (as opposed to what you want to happen)

My prediction...head-coach and 3 co-ordinators fired.

Emery survives, Cutler is the QB next season (just the contract & no great alternatives). Mike Shanahan is the head-coach (would be good in this case if we could poach Kyle Shanahan from the Browns).

Tucker goes, Joe D goes, Trest goes.

I see Garza signed a new deal (WTF?) which suggests Emery is staying. Jay will stay another year too I'd say... there is just nothing in FA or the draft to replace him with.

God knows on the new coach.

Jesus the body language and communication between trestman and Cutler is shocking. The team must have totally broken down.

Thank God that's all over, now let's sit back and enjoy the explosion. Any late bets on what ye expect to happen?

Emery was sitting with the Mccaskeys, which indicates he'll be kept, whether we like it or not. I simply cannot imagine aa scenario where trestman is kept, and that obviously goes for kromer and Tucker too. The Cutler thing, I just hope that they don't get rid of him while taking the cap hit. Sure we'll see who the new hc is and what they want to do should be paramount. And no way should any his candidate have any staff foisted on him. Just find the right guy and let him do his job.

As for today, meh, **** it, we were the same team we've been all year, no imagination except when it's too late, no understanding of how to use the players you have (we need a fast wide receiver in the draft next year). Luckily we never have to watch the 2014 bears ever again.

Sole possession of the 7th pick. That's some consolation at least.

Popcorn at the ready for tomorrow.

Tucker, Joe D and Trest gone. Emery and Jay stay.

As Steve Spurrier once said "5-11, not too good."

I was rooting for the Vikings today for the 7th pick, so I'm happy, and also relieved that the season's over. If we get a clean slate on the coaching staff tomorrow, it'll be something to build on.

I'd probably stick with Cutler too, he was crap this season, but the system didn't suit him. We've swallowed $22.5m of his front-loaded contract. He's not the best, but he's not the worst either, and I think with the right coach, can at least get adequate play from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Question is will the right coach be hired, or will a coach be hired to right/suit cutler. Cutler is a liability in that (and many other) respects.

Personally I want a full clean slate - everyone from mccsskeys down gone - highly unlikely but I can only hope - no point half as'sing it.

I be loads more to add but no real time at present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement