Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hard to figure out the thought process on it. 4 qb's for trest to coach means splitting more time. Has there been any quotes on it?

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4692591/clausen-intriguing-entry-in-backup-qb-derby

Article on the reasoning for it. I'm thinking its more of an issue with Palmer as backup. They will probably keep 3 with Fales as the third and either Clausen or Palmer as the backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4692591/clausen-intriguing-entry-in-backup-qb-derby

Article on the reasoning for it. I'm thinking its more of an issue with Palmer as backup. They will probably keep 3 with Fales as the third and either Clausen or Palmer as the backup

Thanks, I had read about Trestman preparing Clausen for the combine and his pro day, hence the link. Just love to hear something from the organisation (Trestman really) behind the thought process. Definitely see it as a bad indictment re Palmer.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-matt-forte-bears-care-gala-spt-0608-20140608,0,3920158.story

Quotes on it in there - not giving much away, but just seems to be a case of competition in every position.

Have enjoyed the minicamp updates on the CSS website - but nothing now to till camp on 24th July! This offseason sure feels long.

Conte might miss camp with a contagious bug - Vereen being talked up repeatedly too. That's the end of Conte as our #1 FS anyway unless Vereen ****'s the bed at camp.

Oh and Izzy released, always liked him, we needed him last year tho not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Back to work tomorrow with the Eagles up Saturday fortnight.

Back-up QB, the return man, free safety and a couple of linebacker spots look all to play for.

I'm just so happy it's back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Got my ticket for the Dolphins game the other day, can't wait, just seems so far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Aghhhhhhh :D:D

BtZTWP3CEAMqwB1.jpg

Long is there. Huge that he is still getting the technique side of things in despite teh virus - will be key for his development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Good report from Zach Zaidman on the first day:
    http://cbsloc.al/1pieGab

Seems to be a good buzz about the place from both fans and players.

'Bears 2014!' :D

The new punter Pat O'Donnell seems to be a big hit:
    On a team full of star players and household names, it’s strange to think that a rookie got the biggest reaction from the crowd. What takes it from strange to bizarre is the fact that the rookie was punter Pat O’Donnell. Yes, Pat O’Donnell got the loudest cheers at camp today.

O’Donnell boomed a series of punts during special teams period, sending perfect spirals into the air that traveled well over 65 yards down the field, much to the delight of the fans. Cheers of “Mega punt! Mega punt!” echoed throughout the practice field.

Special teams coach Joe DeCamillis was equally surprised at the reaction O’Donnell got from the fans.

“That’s a first. I was thinking, you gotta be kidding me over there, let’s keep the kids feet on the ground,” said DeCamillis.

Durkin’s Training Camp Notebook: New Defensive Line Sets The Tone

I was curious how much bad punting costs you. The Bears were 29th out of 32 last year in net yards per punt:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting/sort/netAvgPuntYards

38 net yards, compared to a league average of about 41.

With about 4 punts a game, that's costing you 12 yards/game. 12 yards of field position is worth about 1 point on the scoreboard.

So bad punting is costing you about 1 point/game, compared to an average punter, and 2 points/game compared to the best punters (44/45 net yards).

Quite significant. I suppose there's coverage and things like that which are going to affect it, but interesting see if O'Donnell can help improve things this season.

edit:
    actually worse when you look at the gross yards:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting/sort/grossAvgPuntYards

Bottom of the league and 5 yards/punt below the average. So if you just come up to average, you gain 20 yards/game.

• Advertisement

Not to mention that it was in key situation where Podlesh was awful too - remember the must win game in Philly and the scuff off the outside of his foot early.

So glad to be rid of him.

Also O'Donnell's hangtime seems to be great which is often overlooked.

Few tweaked quads but so far so good on the injury front - that's my main wish for camp - no ACL's or the like.

Fuller manned Alshon yesterday and brought the goods by all accounts. A guy on another forum wrote a review and was very impressed.

No injuries of note and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Fuller manned Alshon yesterday and brought the goods by all accounts. A guy on another forum wrote a review and was very impressed.

No injuries of note and I'll be happy.

What was the forum out of curiosity?

What was the forum out of curiosity?

Footballsfuture. My favourite of the US ones.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Footballsfuture. My favourite of the US ones.

Had a look, that Fuller-Jeffery battle sounds great.

Camp is generally the time for optimism, usually over optimism followed by a harsh dose of reality. However I'm genuinely looking forward to this team this year.

Think our player of the year will be Houston - think Bears fans are going to be shocked at just how good he is.

Plenty to be optimistic about - good oline, 2 elite receivers, a near elite TE, a good Dline with decent depth, our CB's.

Plenty to be worried about - Cutty's interceptions and injury issues (if he can cut down the interceptions and stay health we can make the playoffs handy enough - that's a massive if on both fronts though), our LBers, how safety will turn out (though im hopeful - well), a tough enough opening schedule.

Despite being critical at time (see Jay's contract) overall I think Emery has done a great job of revamping the roster. We just need to put it altogether now and see real tangible results on the field - no excuses.

The only noise of interest to me have been the fringe battles and how the team is lining out schematically. Hearing how Shea looks Lawrence Taylor 2.0 doesn’t do much for me. Of note so far have been Clausen winning the QB back-up battle, Fuller staying outside, Wilson nailed on at 3 and Chris Williams showing up well as a receiver (which could have obvious implications on the return game).

I think our line-backing corps could be awful. We shouldn’t be in a position of praying for one of Bostic, Jones or, gulp, Shea to show something they never have. The one positive at safety is that it just can’t be worse than 2013. If Vereen sparks a cigar and spends the 60 smoking it he’ll still be a notch above those two jokers from last year.

But I’m happy where we’re going and CAN NOT wait for it to kick off. If Jay and Forte stay healthy the offense will be mega. Stoked for what Trest has in store for the year there.

I think Bostic will step up, I think Shea will remain awful. Hopefully Greene will continue to focus on being a Will and develop for the post Briggs era.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

One thing I'm interested to see is the potential effect the D-Line has on the performances of the LBers & the secondary...
    Let's be honest last year the fact the Line couldn't stop the run nor put pressure on the QB has to ripple through to all other aspects, LB's exposed by running backs coming through untouched and having a QB with time to pick you apart the rest... Not the only reason those positions looked bad, but it has to help...

Games not necessarily won in the trenches but they can be lost there... If the DL is as good as I think it now looks, combined with the OL doing a minimum of matching last year, then I do think there are really good things on the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Never mind about mere tactics, I think having a strong front four is such a core part of Bears self-image and "culture" as a franchise that strengthening it makes huge sense. It's like the Cowboys hiring Boy Scouts. Or the Raiders hiring... uh, fellahs that aren't boy scouts. To thine own self, etcetc!

Fractured clavicle for Marquess Wilson.

8-12 weeks.

B0llox

Was so excited to see him against the Eagles :(

Earl Bennett return?

Disappointing in that he could've done with the reps, but team-wise doesn't seem like a huge deal. 4 weeks to start of season, so projects to be back week 4-8, and not a shortage of offensive options.

@BradBiggs: "#Bears suspend TE Martellus Bennett indefinitely and fine him for conduct detrimental to the team."

Didn't see that coming. Had heard about the incident with Fuller yesterday, some reporters said was excessive, but thought it'd be just a fine. Maybe the fact that it was against a rookie is a factor.

edit, video:

Shame he didn't just bodyslam his wife. He'd be back tomorrow.

@PFF_Sam: "Slamming another player is bad, but I think suspension is about far more than that. Attitude, not buying into practice etc."

Sounds about right. When Bennett was asked about being fined yesterday, said "I can afford it".

Seriously s'hit few days for us, mills has injured foot (one he had surgery on), Frey's quad at him too.

Sounds like MartyB walked out if you ask me - Emery saying they hope to have him back soon.

padraig_f wrote: »
    @PFF_Sam: "Slamming another player is bad, but I think suspension is about far more than that. Attitude, not buying into practice etc."

Sounds about right. When Bennett was asked about being fined yesterday, said "I can afford it".

Later on in the day Marquess fell on his back and fractured his clavicle without anyone touching him. Driving your teammates into the ground is an unacceptable level of agression. I think it's just letting him know that myself. Nothing else.

• Advertisement

This makes me happy.

mCtp4pQ.png

Advertisement