Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah you can disregard my last comment above. We looked to be precisely where we were last year. Hard to see where we go from here, last week was promising but it took so little to figure us out and we had no response when they did. All the mistakes, all the penalties, all the offensive predictability, all the injuries, all the lack of inspiration. It's all still there fully intact. Fox needs to be gone, there's no more excuses left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

a stuttering Steelers offense on the road early on against a team starting slowly, it's ripe for a Bears win.

Pittsburgh are 1-11 in Chicago and 0-2 under Tomlin.

dfx- wrote: »
    a stuttering Steelers offense on the road early on against a team starting slowly, it's ripe for a Bears win.

Starting slowly would be grand if it looked like we were speeding up in some way. The wheels fell off the wagon this afternoon.

Steelers will win in first gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭bannerman2005

A bit disappointing to see how the team has gone. You would think that Fox is destined for the chop. Sticking with Glennon now is difficult. However putting in Trubisky behind a bashed up oline is probably the only thing to be done. It means that the they can look at the future in the qb position. Shame that the wr's that are available are not great. Hard to find much positives from the game.

From what I've been reading, the all 22 footage shows repeatedly that the receivers have been getting free, in both games, but Glennon simply isn't throwing to them. He locks on to his first read, waits for them to get free, and if it doesn't happen he checks down. And he throws to the check down whether they're free or not.

That isn't to say they are good receivers, but we'll never really know while Glennon is throwing to them. They did have all the drops at the end of the Falcons game, true, but besides that he had spent himself to be a bad quarterback in ways that can't really be fixed and which don't help to even open up the running game.

That said it's already a lost season, and as you say a banged up o line, and Fox will be gone next year anyway so there is something to be said for keeping trubs out and learning. So I'm not sure how to feel...but if I'm to spend 3 hours on a Sunday watching, I know which player I want to be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The Bears won!! How.

dfx- wrote: »

Starting slowly would be grand if it looked like we were speeding up in some way. The wheels fell off the wagon this afternoon.

Steelers will win in first gear.
    I'm always wrong about the bears, I have a desperate record of predicting us, and I definitely didn't predict that. Heart attack stuff but they did it when it counted (except cooper, Jesus Christ!), our running game is amazing but I'm still perfectly confident that Glennon should be benched. Also, we seem to run on pretty much every first down in every game, it's ridiculously predictable.

Anyway I feel a lot better about Thursday now, they can't come into it assuming the win. Would make our season if we could get that win. Nice to go in with some reasonable expectations and hope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So predictable :mad:

A carbon copy of the Miami game for the Steelers last year...same time of the season they were crushed by the Eagles as well. Deserved what they got from this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Deonte Thompson lead our receivers today with 1 catch for 9 yards.
    He was also the only receiver to catch a pass.

101 total yards receiving. Our 3 RBs had 73 of those 101 yards. Mike Glennon - Dump off king.

It's a shame the only thing people will remember Marcus Cooper for is the idiotic fumble when he had a great game.

qPoE4ij3TB_dHSNxAkKfkg.png

• Advertisement

Not sure whether to be excited or scared, but looks like the future begins next Monday for this team. Not surprised because you couldn't keep looking at Glennon for another week, but I just hope Trubisky is ready, because we are not a fanbase that's renowned for its patience.

Well better to let Trubisky get the reps now as he could not be much worse. In the grander scheme of things it would have been better if Glennon had performed better and no panic requiring a switch. Its Fox's last throw of the dice anyway and if Trubisky succeeds it might prolong his job.

Well better to let Trubisky get the reps now as he could not be much worse. In the grander scheme of things it would have been better if Glennon had performed better and no panic requiring a switch. Its Fox's last throw of the dice anyway and if Trubisky succeeds it might prolong his job.
    Yeah I couldn't watch another week of Glennon fumbling and throwing interceptions at the rate he did last week, so that's good. What worries me is if Trubisky starts to get killed or pressured too much this early in his career it might damage his long term development, but as long as Whitehair improves his snaps, which have been a disaster this season, we have a pretty good Oline when healthy. Would have been nice to let him stay on the bench longer but he looked like a guy who can learn on his feet in the preseason so hopefully that translates. Hopefully Fox is out at the end of this season, I think his race is ran anyway. Promote Fangio maybe, so we aren't starting from scratch again next year and waiting for another new HC to bed in his system (again, I think this year was the time to bring in the new HC, but that's water under the bridge)

Eddie Jackson comes out of a great program and was considered a 1R selection before his injury problems. I've been containing my excitement about getting him in the 4th for months but I can't anymore. What a steal. He's a future pro bowler if he stays healthy.

Fans are saying we have a new Mike Brown but please don't let him have MB's injury problems. He has a broken leg and torn ACL on his records already.

A win is a fantastic thing and undoubtedly the D looks like it might well be dominant this year.

But Fox and Loggains...I know Fox probably decided that because we were winning he could go ultra conservative on O and prevent any turnovers. That doesn't make it OK. That was a second half where it was screaming out for a Panthers comeback, and all of the weight of preventing that fell on the D. Pace can take some blame too: he dropped Deonte Thompson, whose stats up to now are better than ALL of the remaining receiving corps COMBINED. How on earth can he be so consistently bad at evaluating receivers (he fluked with Cam Meredith, imo)? Ludicrous stuff. And whatever about Trubisky, he didn't have a good game today, but two things: 1. His passer rating is over 100 today because he didn't have many passing plays at all and 2. He was only ever asked to pass in bad situations created by incredibly predictable playcalling. I don't think it's a fluke that he made a massive completion on the one first down where he was tasked with throwing the ball (he had another pass on first negated for an illegal formation by the WR brought in from the practice squad to replace Deonte Thompson)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

If you are not reading this guy's thoughts every week you're doing it wrong

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/92096-Thoughts-and-Observations-Week-7-Panthers

Having so many drafted players you need to re-sign is a feeling I'm not accustomed to whatsoever. The defence looks the goods at all levels.

Won't be too concerned about the playcalling and Trubisky's development unless it continues into the losses. It is incredible that it has come to this at receiver though. Cohen is, BY FAR, our best wide-out which is just ridiculous. Saints game will be very interesting.

• Advertisement

I'm not worried about trubisky developing at all. I think Fox is so conservative that he just won't let him play, because that would involve him making mistakes, and Fox hates turnovers, more than most people hate stubbing their toe in the dark. I don't think that's good for him longer term (and my suspicion is loggains would let him their way more if he was really in charge of things) but it's not catastrophic either. But I fail to see how it WOULDN'T eventually continue into losses, we're not going to get to defensive touchdowns every week. But you're right, the D looks tremendous now, Fangio has been holding together a dodgy team to look respectable despite a talent deficit and injuries before, but now he has them about motoring. If they continue as they have been, they'll be thoroughly dominant. I think we need to make Fangio HC this off season or we'll lose him to someone who will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Credit to Pace for getting two starting calibre running-backs in the 4th and 5th rounds over the last few years. I'm sure it helps to fund spending at other positions.

As for right now I hope the Bears put in a trade offer for Martavis Byrant. If he wants out of there asap perhaps the Steelers will let him go on the cheap. It's a contract year for Bryant.

25 years old. Suspended twice already for drug violations. Refusing to work after the Steelers stuck by him after multiple f*ck ups.

Veyr high risk and after some of the fantastic picks Pace has made in later rounds I am starting to value late picks a lot more now than before.

He comes across as a bad teammate and not someone Pace would want in the locker room.

tumblr_ly5e24bRcD1r3y4i3.gif

We've traded a 7th rounder to the Chargers for Dontrelle Inman.

58 receptions for 810 yards last season even though he has only 2 catches this year. 6'3" so a nice target for Trubisky outside the numbers. Better than what is available anyway.

Contract is up after this season.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/923249495269433344

Nice!

• Advertisement

Loggains has to go. As does Barth.

Anyone who thinks Loggains is a decent playcaller but his hands are tied because of our lack of receiving talent is blind. He hasn't got a clue. If he stays after this season I give up.

Jerrell Freeman suspended again for PEDs: 10 games.

Jerrell Freeman suspended again for PEDs: 10 games.

I'm not surprised at all. Huge loss and we can presumably cut him altogether at this point (no idea what the cap implications are but whatever). Makes it a big priority position for the draft.

I'm not surprised at all. Huge loss and we can presumably cut him altogether at this point (no idea what the cap implications are but whatever). Makes it a big priority position for the draft.

What on earth was he taking?!

What on earth was he taking?!

Adderall, like everyone else! ;)

Adderall, like everyone else! ;)

I see. Do they think they won't get caught or something? He was already on the radar anyway.

Ah I dunno, but his whole career is dodgy, spent most of his youth in the Canadian football league then comes to the NFL AFTER his prime years and somehow becomes one of the best linebackers in the league? Doesn't add up.

It sounds like Freeman is still suffering the affects of the concussion he suffered in September so I wouldn't be so quick to judge him given I haven't ever been in a situation like that myself. It must be terrifying given everything going around about concussions these days.

The Bears should have the beating of this Green Bay team.

The Bears should have the beating of this Green Bay team.

Definitely SHOULD, but whether we will or not is another matter.

I read an interesting article about John Fox that details some of the common threads of his coaching career. His defining characteristic is that he seems to prefer pre-Teddy Roosevelt football, and dislikes the forward pass. When he has a rookie QB, regardless of potential ability, he absolutely DESPISES the forward pass, and relies almost exclusively on running and D to win games. At Carolina, in 9 years, he only had a top-half of the league offense ONCE. In NINE years. In his whole career he only has had FIVE top-half of the league offenses, and three of those were with Peyton Manning in Denver, when Fox had virtually no control over how the offense was run, and Manning basically did what he wanted.

This is the same guy that, faced with a rookie QB with raw talent and few receiving options, actually got rid of one of the few receivers he actually seemed to have some chemistry with, Deonte Thompson. not exactly an All Pro, but looking at some of the scrubbers he kept around, you start to wonder what on earth Fox's game plan is.

What's becoming clearer every week is that Fox has no interest in the development of Trubisky as a passer, and along with Loggains has developed an approach to the game where opposing Ds can stack the box on first down and usually second down, knowing we will run straight into the wall (Howard is so good that he still sometimes makes some yards on these but he's being completely misused in this as well), then only give Trubisky passing opportunities in obvious passing situations, often 3rd and long, where his chances of succeeding are hugely reduced and where he is facing much more pressure. It's a farcical way of working with someone who is talented but raw, because it transmits the message that mistakes are absolutely unacceptable ever, and that your HC and OC don't trust you whatsoever.

If he's not fired by the end of the year and they are planning on proceeding with him as the man to develop the QB of the future, I give up.

• Advertisement

Anyone any predictions for Sunday? I think this is a serious make or break game for us. We aren't used to being favourites against the Packers and even if neither team are making the playoffs this year I don't think losing to them when Rodgers is out is acceptable. My suspicion is that if we lose this one then Fox will be on the way out. Weather for Sunday looks shocking, snow and rain. So, Jordan Howard to the rescue.

I think if they lose to the Packers minus Rodgers then Fox will definitely be gone. Or at least I would do that. From reading a few pieces Fox was not Pace's choice of coach but McCaskeys pick. Loggains can't be far behind Fox either in the race for the door. With the weather forecast bad I think its going to have to be the Jordan Howard show. I know this game was leading the poll to be shown on Sky Sports but when will that be finalised.

From reading a few pieces Fox was not Pace's choice of coach but McCaskeys pick.

If true, it makes some sense, but the endless tinkering by the family in the football side of things has been a huge part of the problem over the years. If you hire a GM, you have to let him do his job. He's the one answerable for whatever happens. Was the same with Emery, when they forced him to keep Lovie. Now, we know he tied his own noose when he picked Trestman instead of Arians (eugh), but either trust the GM or hire someone you do...

Fox was a safe pair of hands, I get the logic in hiring him, but at this point he is doing damage to the development of this QB. I wouldn't even wait til the year is out. Fire him now, let Loggains run the O as he sees fit and if it's still as terrible and predictable as it has been then run him out of town at the end of the year as well (I have a feeling Fox is handcuffing him, but I think he's an awful OC anyway, but he's shown some creative playcalling in the past).

Main issue is what's going to happen with Fangio. There are indications he wants to leave, Shanahan wanted him back in SF this year and we simply blocked the lateral move, but his contract is now up. So I think the chances of him staying as a DC are very small. So do you offer to make him HC? I dunno, I think it's the right thing to do, but it's not a popular opinion for some reason.

We all know what the main problem with this team is so there's no point me mentioning it again.

One of the very few things I liked today was Inman. He had a poor drop on the last drive but almost 90 yards in his first real game albeit against a poor D.

Looking forward to seeing him play the next few games. He could turn out to be a really solid trade.

After that game I suppose there are a few questions.

1. How long more will they give Fox?
    2. Is there any point in persevering with Loggains as OC. I don't know how much influence Fox has on play calling .
    3. How can we keep Fangio. Head coaching job or nothing I think.

I am sure that with decent weapons Trubisky can be dangerous but he is still very raw as a QB. The offensive line made a few bad errors yesterday.

Onwards and upwards

As it stands the Bears have the 6th pick in next year's draft.

103 (via Arizona)

You won't get much with that pick.

We finally have a new kicker. Cairo Santos.
    He's pretty good too. Chiefs waved him in September because of an injury. I believe he was at Halas 2 or 3 times already for a physical before signing.

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/932665550504972288

Oat23 wrote: »
    We finally have a new kicker. Cairo Santos.
    He's pretty good too. Chiefs waved him in September because of an injury. I believe he was at Halas 2 or 3 times already for a physical before signing.

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/932665550504972288

Good news, hope he works out. It always seems unfair to say you're losing games because of a kicker, when there's so many other things that are wrong, but things like yesterday are a kick in the gut when your rookie QB took the team on his back up the field in a crunch situation. You couldn't just be looking at him...

• Advertisement

Halas Hall apparently stank of rotten fish today, because if bad sushi left over the long weekend. In so very, very many ways this is a magnificent symbol of the state of our franchise this morning.

In other news apparently media could hear a massive fight amongst the players going on next to the media room too. So if you're still playing "at least they're not doing that thing that happened under Trestman" bingo, you can scratch "locker room bust ups" off the list.

I don't see how keeping Fox on to the end of the season will do anything other than damage the development of younger players.

Relax everyone, Tre McBride has been cut. Pace and Fox recognised the team has a problem, they've cut out the obvious culprit, it's all plain sailing from here boys!

The FireFox thing is really taking off now. They're sending out t-shirts and signs to people asking with tickets to one of our remaining games this season :pac:

Unless they get confiscated on the way into SF there's going to be quite a few firefox signs this weekend.

Rumour is that Fangio hasn't been put in as interim HC because the FO actually has a list of prospective new head coaches, and Fangio is not on that list.

I'm not so bothered about the lack of Fangio on the list as I would have been two weeks ago. But if that rumour is true then we are really back to trestman levels of dysfunction. Front office making up replacement lists and leaking them to the media, an obviously lame duck coaching staff who know they cannot actually salvage their jobs, players going to titty bars before games and fighting in earshot of the media.

Maybe I'm overreacting to a few rumours here, and it doesn't FEEL as bad as trestman and Emery, but the evidence is piling up that we're the same team we were before this so called rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

FOX HAS TO GO, the fcuking 49ers

Given the QB and kicker we were playing against, it's time to start thinking about Ryan Pace's future too.

• Advertisement

QPEHU6hDRkWB9GGOTSxGeg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oat they say what can't speak can't lie. I mean the numbers don't lie. Robbie Gould looked delighted to stick it to the bears says a lot. Alshon Jeffery looked delighted to stick it to the bears this year.

John Fox's postgame presser is a sh*tshow.

"Carlos (Cairo) Santos tweaked his groin a little bit. That's why we went with uhh...uhhh....ummm...Rob..I mean yeah our punter."

Mother of jesus.

It's ok though they had to clear those lads out to make way for the new talent they were bringing in at those positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

John Fox is now 0-7 in games in which the Bears were favoured since he was hired as the Bears Head Coach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement