Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Liamalone wrote: »
    Defaulting into the playoffs?

I really wish we weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I really wish we weren't.

Answer the question lol, I'm only a blow in, just want clarification .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Answer the question lol, I'm only a blow in, just want clarification .

Yes, Bears are in. Going to New Orleans next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If it's a Saturday game and Kamara is out, I've give the Bears a shot. We'll need things to go our way though with no self-sabotage from Nagy.

If it's a Saturday game and Kamara is out, I've give the Bears a shot. We'll need things to go our way though with no self-sabotage from Nagy.

It's Sunday, so kamara will be in unfortunately!

We have the players to win, I just have no faith at all in pagano or nagy. Especially the latter. The playcalling thing is infuriating, he handed it over because he wasn't good at it. But maybe he wanted to just prove that the playcalling wasn't the problem and then get back to the job of proving to us all that he's an offensive genius. That just going to a simple, personnel focused playcalling scheme worked wonders and basically saved his job, isn't enough, so here we are. I just can't get over how bad his instincts are for this part of the job.

And there's no way that garbage on 4th and 1 wasn't him. It might as well have been bald and been wearing a sun visor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Bears have a free shot at the Saints, they are no hopers in most people's opinion. Might free the players up a bit and Trubisky. Separately next seasons games are very tough especially away games. Steelers Bucs in there.

Badabing wrote: »
    Bears have a free shot at the Saints, they are no hopers in most people's opinion. Might free the players up a bit and Trubisky. Separately next seasons games are very tough especially away games. Steelers Bucs in there.

Yeah on paper the schedule is a nightmare. Teams get bad etc but playing the nfc West will be a horror show, there's no bad team there.

Well, is anyone excited or no? I mean, obviously we were pretty poxed to be here, but there again so were Washington and they acquitted themselves pretty well. We are a long shot, especially with Smith and Mooney out. And being here has pretty much guaranteed another year of the same problems in management and coaching. But anything is possible, and playoffs are still an exciting thing to be a part of. So whatever about next year and the draft, just for today I'm buying into the excitement. You just never know when we might have another playoff day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,170 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't get excited at all. There's nothing about this side to get excited about anymore.

Offense is f*cked again because Nagy took control again for the Packer game. I was too angry to even post on here about that debacle last week.

Pagano has gimped the entire D so you can't even enjoy them knowing how much talent is being wasted.

I think we match up terribly against a QB like Brees too. His arm is weak now, but luckily for him Pagano lets every opposing offense dink & dunk their way down the field so he doesn't even need to throw deep.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Nagy took control again for the Packer game.

Was so obvious this was the case. I can't fathom why he can't just accept it that it's not something he's good at and the approach he resisted all season just worked better. It calls into question his whole attitude and approach to coaching. I was disgusted as well. But **** it, it's playoffs. I'll go back to being pessimistic this evening.

• Advertisement

Was so obvious this was the case. I can't fathom why he can't just accept it that it's not something he's good at and the approach he resisted all season just worked better. It calls into question his whole attitude and approach to coaching.

After he gave up play calling and things improved I was coming around to the idea of him remaining in charge in a role similar to Tomlin in Pittsburgh since the players love playing for him and he's a great leader.

I was furious last Sunday when it became obvious he was calling plays again and now I'm done with him. He's obviously too stubborn/proud to be satisfied in a Mike Tolin type head coaching role.

He'll get another head coaching job solely because of his W/L record, but I don't see him lasting too long unless he gets over the fact he is a really poor OC. He will handicap any team he's calling plays for. We'll be stuck with him for another year it seems and I suspect we'll struggle to win more than 6 or 7 games with the schedule we have. It'll be a wasted season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

C'mon the Bears! Don't know enough technically to give a proper opinion, just glad to be in the playoffs for a change lol. Make a game of it is all I ask!

C'mon the Bears! Don't know enough technically to give a proper opinion, just glad to be in the playoffs for a change lol. Make a game of it is all I ask!

I think we will, although Kamara running riot all day could get old quickly, and we are much weaker against the pass in the middle of the field when Roquan Smith is out. The decline of the defense since the bye-week has been terrible, but we have enough talent that we should at least be able to stay competitive.

Jaylon Johnson inactive too. Thought he'd be able to go after being questionable all week but not being ruled out like Roquan and Mooney.

It will be a miracle if we win tonight.

Jaylon Johnson inactive too. Thought he'd be able to go after being questionable all week but not being ruled out like Roquan and Mooney.

It will be a miracle if we win tonight.

Yup. And if we were to win I think the reward would be third trimming from the Packers. But whatever!

I should say, around here (south chicago suburbs) it's amazing how little hype there is around, comparing with the sox and cubs being in the playoffs earlier in the year. There's a sense of inevitability about it.

Chuck Pagano is lucky Mel Tucker exists or he'd go down as the worst DC in my lifetime. It's disgusting how undisciplined his players are on top of his pathetic scheme. There's too much talent for it to be like this.

He dropped Hicks into coverage on a play a few minutes ago.

Chuck Pagano is lucky Mel Tucker exists or he'd go down as the worst DC in my lifetime. It's disgusting how undisciplined his players are on top of his pathetic scheme. There's too much talent for it to be like this.

He dropped Hicks into coverage on a play a few minutes ago.

I've never seen a defense fall off a cliff so hard during a season. Think of how dominant they were at one point, and compare it with the ineptitude now. I'm in favour of cleaning house tomorrow morning, but they've said it's no happening. But I'm assuming Pagano is gone.

**** sake.

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/1349151123714813953

Pagano is retiring, but he surely would not have been retained anyway.

**** sake.

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/1349151123714813953

Pagano is retiring, but he surely would not have been retained anyway.

I mean this was the rumour even before the Packers game. The organisation had more or less signaled they're going ahead with them, Schefter I think had reported as much. I have no idea why, they've given no indication either of them are at all capable of bringing the team to the next level.

I think next year is more or less screwed anyway though, so hear me out on why it might not be too bad...and then why it could be a disaster...

I think with our draft pick and current cap we are not at all an attractive spot for a top GM candidate, and can't realistically acquire a good QB and with that the possibility of a top HC hire. So it may not be too bad to have to wait a year before making those hires.

BUT with those two knowing full well their jobs hang in the balance either way, they have little to lose in trading away the future for short term success (even if the mildest kind) so it's very possible that pace goes mental on FA or the draft to try and get some QB. We know what he's capable of in the draft and when he is basically only thinking about this year that could be very bad. Worse still he could go buck wild trying to get Dak or somebody.

So I'm torn. This team, man...

Anyway beyond that I hope they manage to do a deal with Robinson and with Santos, and draft a good oline guy in the first, and depth in the secondary on D. Not sure what they should do at QB, there's no good options. Would prefer to roll with whoever, and build towards 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Do we go for Deshaun Watson? Can we get him? Do we lose somewhere else, Robinson for example. Da bears blog is all in on him.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote: »
    Do we go for Deshaun Watson? Can we get him? Do we lose somewhere else, Robinson for example. Da bears blog is all in on him.

Can we afford him, either in draft capital or in cap space? I don't see how we're competitive in that market, or if we should try to be. We have so much rebuilding to do, he would cost years worth of high picks.

Not to mention, doing all of that to pick a guy they could have had several years ago but overlooked for the guy he's replacing, is not just a matter of pride for Pace, it's also an admission that their whole approach the last four years has been a cock up, which would beg the question why they are being allowed stay on.

That being said if they got him he would be a massive improvement, of course. And if they can get a better DC in we would suddenly potentially be very competitive. But it is almost a guarantee that if they did get him it would be by mortgaging the future. Pace probably knows he is out the door without a marked improvement this year, so in a sense he has nothing to lose in going for it anyway, but the team definitely has a lot to lose long term by allowing him to roll the dice. Just a great illustration of why letting him stay on is a bad idea. Also I have lost all faith in Nagy's ability to work effectively with a QB, and I know he will not get better at play calling, or leave it the fcuk alone as he should do.

So yeah all in all you can mark me down as "pessimistic"...

On top of everything you said, the biggest reason I don't see him ending up in Chicago is simply because he does not like the Bears after they snubbed him in 2017. Watson also knows he'd be going to a team with a coach and GM on the hotseat, and who are in cap hell with very little in the way of weapons going forward beyond 2021.

I think it's far more likely Pace would throw everything at the Texans to trade for him and Watson refusing than the Pace/pride angle.

He wants to win and there are far better options on the table than Chicago. If he was all about the money wouldn't he just stay in Houston? He already got paid.

Carson Wentz?

Please tell me I'm not alone in thinking we have a hare brained scheme on our hands that bears out some of our worst fears about keeping pace?

Wentz has been awful lately, if he was still good he would still be in philadelphia. The rumours say we only give up one first and they take foles and his **** contract but I won't believe pace hasn't sold the family cutlery until I see it in the drawer. If we've given up two firsts for wentz, which is something I heard, I'll be...displeased...

Remember when pace described his draft picks as "ammunition" to make moves? That **** worries me. Watching mahomes tomorrow will traumatize me again.

Watson? Carr? Wilson? :confused:

This is the news I've been waiting for

https://twitter.com/ChaseGoodbread/status/1365044893970804736

vhnUXOR.jpg

What the **** have I woken up to? Dalton confirmed he's the starter. Fuller is going/gone. Hicks has been told to look for a trade and ARob signed his tag.

None of this makes any sense. Are we rebuilding under Pace & Nagy? Because moves like creating a huge hole at CB1, signing a bang average QB to start and getting rid of a locker room leader/excellent run stuffer all the while doing nothing in FA to actually improve the team screams "Our jobs are safe beyond 2021".

If you're rebuilding why would you restructure Mack's deal instead of trading him for picks?

I don't get it.

Does anyone in that building have the first clue what they're doing or what their plan is?

Does anyone in that building have the first clue what they're doing or what their plan is?

Did they focus everything on trading for Wilson and when that failed they had no plan B? Because that is what it feels like right now. The moves make no sense.

Did they focus everything on trading for Wilson and when that failed they had no plan B? Because that is what it feels like right now. The moves make no sense.

Yeah restructuring mack and preparing to get rid of some top players as part of a trade/cap move to land wilson and get him under cap would make sense, the only problem being that getting wilson was always absolute pie in the sky stuff, I was amazed how many bears fans were taking it seriously (although I guess it was a cool thing to believe was possible), I wouldn't in my wildest dreams have thought that Pace was pinning his hopes on such nonsense. The decision to keep the band together with pace and nagy was always terrible but it's getting worse and worse. Its clear they were extended without having to present any cogent plan for the future at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Bears are 50/1 to win the Super Bowl. They have no chance and May as we’ll be 50000/1.

Advertisement