Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL 11

Options
  • 20-09-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Does anyone on here have this game?

It came out last Friday and is arguabley the best sports game ive ever played. The series is reknown for its amazingness and this is the best one yet.

I have set up a Boards.ie EASHL Online Club so we can compete with our Be A Pro characters, although im not expecting many numbers, we only need 3 to play I think. The club name is Boards ie, so request to join, ive designed a kit and everything :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

dunno, i tried NHL10 and it was just so Alien to play it after so much PES and Fifa over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

I was thinking about investing in this alright. Probably will on Friday but might be a bad ould time given i'm currently caught up with Halo and Fallout and Fifa are on the way!:pac:

Do they still have the shots controlled by the right stick? Played '09 on the PS3 a few years ago and wasn't enamoured by that aspect of it, but they had the option to switch it to a button which wasn't too bad.

I have been playing it but i am not online at home , so i cant join in. Its a bit of fun though .

Do they still have the shots controlled by the right stick? Played '09 on the PS3 a few years ago and wasn't enamoured by that aspect of it, but they had the option to switch it to a button which wasn't too bad.

They really bang on about that skill stick malarkey and how it gives you total control. What it does is give people who already know how to use it a massive, massive advantage. Even in the 10 version and the 3v3 NHL arcade, anybody who was any way proficient with it could score 95% of the time they took a shot.

Its pretty disheartening playing against somebody and getting your arse whipped every single time, so if you've no plans on getting to grips with it (like me) I'd avoid this.

They really bang on about that skill stick malarkey and how it gives you total control. What it does is give people who already know how to use it a massive, massive advantage. Even in the 10 version and the 3v3 NHL arcade, anybody who was any way proficient with it could score 95% of the time they took a shot.

Its pretty disheartening playing against somebody and getting your arse whipped every single time, so if you've no plans on getting to grips with it (like me) I'd avoid this.

Mate, I'm like that with MW2 all the time anyway so it'd be no difference to me! I can't, for the life of me, get good scores. Playing games and fellas getting 50-odd kills with me on 17 on a good go. That said, I'm pretty handy on Fifa and most sports games given a while on them, so I might be able to pick this stick trickery up. The more I think about it, the more I want to pick NHL up now! I reckon meself and Sid might make a right team!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Definitely just one for the hockey fans among you. With each iteration of nhl ea are making it tougher and tougher for newcomers imo. Must buy if youre a fan, avoid if not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I dont know how new people from the series would think they can pick it up right away, pretty much no game out there can that be done in.

As for the bewitchery of the sticks? Left stick moves the player on the ice, right stick up is a shot (aim with the left stick), and right stick down or left/right is a deke (fake). Once you do the tutorials and play a few games its fine.

Although... I have played every game since '07 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I dont know how new people from the series would think they can pick it up right away, pretty much no game out there can that be done in.

ah you can

most games allow you to come in and get the jist of it early, then gradually improve

theres an immediate brick wall with nhl, so you either need to decide youre gonna get over it, or throw in the towel

its a good game by all means, but its almost useless to anyone who a) doesnt know ice hockey, or b) hasnt played an nhl game in the last 3 years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I've always been a fan of hockey games, but I've never taken the plunge on the xbox!

I'd certainly look into getting this and joining up, ice hockey is awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Helix wrote: »
    its a good game by all means, but its almost useless to anyone who a) doesnt know ice hockey, or b) hasnt played an nhl game in the last 3 years

I haven't played an NHL game ever and know very little about ice hockey and I really enjoyed the demo and after a couple of games I was starting to score goals and win games. It's very intuitive to play with the stick set-up. Right to stick to move, left stick to takes shots. Very straight-forward if you ask me. Also very fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Is there anyway to sprint in this game? Just playing demo, can't seem to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Is there anyway to sprint in this game? Just playing demo, can't seem to do it.

No the speed is momentum based, your skater will pick up speed as he goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If you want a quick burst of speed tap the Left trigger while you're skating with the puck. The player will extend the puck out and chase it.

Got this the other day after not picking up 10 last year. Loving it! My BaP got drafted 5th overall by the Islanders and now I'm the main LW on their first line!

If you want a quick burst of speed tap the Left trigger while you're skating with the puck. The player will extend the puck out and chase it.

Got this the other day after not picking up 10 last year. Loving it! My BaP got drafted 5th overall by the Islanders and now I'm the main LW on their first line!

Same here - bought it, having great craic so far. Managed to get drafted first overall by the Canucks but I'll be back to finish my career at the Spitfires out of loyalty - I'll even do it for free!!:D

Played a few games as the whole team, though, and found it a fair bit harder.

What's the deal with the equipment in this game?

Does it make much of a difference what you pick? I've chosen gear cos it looks nice, although I've chosen 9" blades cos I'd imagine they're a bit quicker (less resistance etc). Can anyone give me some hints on what I should be looking at if it makes much of a difference?

Happy enough with the perfomance in BaP so far - 8 points (3 goals, 5 assists) in 3 games. :cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I havent picked up 11 yet, but loved 10.

All the complaints about the stick just remind me of people comaplining about the total punch control in the Fight Night games.

It's a more accurate representation of the sport, so I'm all for it.
    Pressing a button for a jab and a different one for a hook, never appealed tome, and it's teh same with this.

It's harder at first, but gives you so much more control eventually.

Finding it so hard on the BAP with my crappy sniper. He just gets creamed any time I try and get into space.

Still in saying that I have about 45 points in total and I'm only in January. So I should hit all my seasons expectations and then I'll have loads of XP to boost him for the second season.

Also, what the hell happened to Danglers?

Finding it so hard on the BAP with my crappy sniper. He just gets creamed any time I try and get into space.

Still in saying that I have about 45 points in total and I'm only in January. So I should hit all my seasons expectations and then I'll have loads of XP to boost him for the second season.

Also, what the hell happened to Danglers?

I'm about 8/9 games in to my BaP, lost once and I'm leading scorer on 19/20 points. Grand, you'd think but they've seen fit to drop be down to the second line. And then the third....wtf?! The Sedin bros and meself have been lording it.

In fairness, it's probably where I should be given my rating (i think I'm a 74 overall). That said, I've probably been dropped for my teamwork score- the highest i've had is a 'B-' i think. What can I do to improve it?:(

TO get a good teamwork score you have to do short shifts and track back a lot.

I finished my season with BaP and am going in to the playoffs with the Islanders. Finished on 94 points over all but I got bumped to the second line for simming 5-6 games in a row

Getting in to the Ultimate Team mode now, it's pretty good. Never tried it with FIFA but I can see what my mates were going on about now.

TO get a good teamwork score you have to do short shifts and track back a lot.

I finished my season with BaP and am going in to the playoffs with the Islanders. Finished on 94 points over all but I got bumped to the second line for simming 5-6 games in a row

Getting in to the Ultimate Team mode now, it's pretty good. Never tried it with FIFA but I can see what my mates were going on about now.

Sound, I'll try that - thanks.

Yeah, Ultimate Team in Fifa was quality. I bought 1200 MS Points one day and blew the lot on Gold Packs trying to get a few players. Didn't exactly work out like i wanted, though!! :( A great addition to it, on NHL or FIFA, would be the ability to play your mates in a non-ranked match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Sound, I'll try that - thanks.

Yeah, Ultimate Team in Fifa was quality. I bought 1200 MS Points one day and blew the lot on Gold Packs trying to get a few players. Didn't exactly work out like i wanted, though!! :( A great addition to it, on NHL or FIFA, would be the ability to play your mates in a non-ranked match.

They are adding Play-a-friend to Ultimate Team 11 for FIFA (out in November, for free). Not sure if it will be unranked (hopefully so, and for no coins, and no contracts), surely it has to be to stop boosting.

I'd really like to pick up NHL 11 (always seem to enjoy hockey games), but 50+ quid, not sure how much use I'll get out of it....

Advertisement