Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop

Options
  • 20-09-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi Boardsies:)

Okay I need some advice from you guys before I head into the shop to deal with this issue.

I was given a laptop in May 2009 for my birthday. All was working fine until about six weeks ago when the right click button stopped working. My mother couldn't find the receipt for the laptop and it wasn't that big a deal so I just got on with it and if I needed to use it I plugged in a mouse.

Then about two weeks ago after not using the DVD/CD drive for almost a year I attempted to watch a movie and the DVD wouldn't load. Nor would any other DVD or CD's. It's just not recognising that I've inserted a disc.

Still couldn't find the receipt and since I obviously didn't use it that much I left it.

But then this weekend the join of the screen/lid broke. It's hard to explain it's like the hinge is misaligned on the actual case, so when I try to close the laptop the actual plastic casing is coming apart. My friend reckons this is my own fault from lifting the laptop by it's screen.

So we tore the house apart today and found the receipt. The laptop was bought on the 11th April 2009.

I guess what I'm wondering is, is it worth bringing it back to the shop after 17 months? Especially if it really is my fault that the screen is broken (but I don't see how I could've broken the dvd drive or right click button). I'm meant to start back to college next month and it's distance learning so I really need my laptop and I can still go online/use Open Office.

Should I try bring it back and what should I say? I've heard PC World are pretty awful when it comes to customer service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The damage to the screen will not be covered, even if it were under warranty. With physical damage to the screen showing the way it is, it's likely they'll claim the other damage is due to misuse too.

You can try, but you're not going to get anywhere with them without a major fight on your hands. It certainly won't be done by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

See I'm really bad at confrontation so I need to know exactly what rights I may have in this situation if they just say no. Can't really find out what i need from the NCA website and I don't want to be an idiot fighting for something I'm not actually entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The laptop must be of merchantable (usable) quality, and for a "reasonable" amount of time. Any damage done by you will not be covered. Since it has sustained physical damage, it's going to be impossible to prove the other faults are not related. You should have brought it back when it first started developing faults, even without the receipt. You would at least have a record of it, and PC World probably would have been able to chase the sale anyway.

Right now, I would say you haven't a leg to stand on. If you try to bring it back, they will definitely deny any responsibility. You'd have to bring them to court to get anywhere, but with the physical damage, I can't see how this would get you anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AvaKinder wrote: »
    But then this weekend the join of the screen/lid broke. It's hard to explain it's like the hinge is misaligned on the actual case, so when I try to close the laptop the actual plastic casing is coming apart. My friend reckons this is my own fault from lifting the laptop by it's screen.
    Google the model regarding the hinge on that model of the laptop breaking. Has been known to happen with certain models, and if it was a widespread problem, the manufacture would usually fix it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Isle

I'd try doing what the syco said first. I don't think the physical damage to the laptop would be covered because the shop could say it was your fault.

I had the same problem with a DVD drive on a Toshiba laptop a few years ago. It's an easy problem to fix but its extremely annoying if the problem keeps recurring (which it did in my case). Go into my computer and delete the DVD drive, then go into start > control panel > add new hardware, run the wizard and it will find your DVD drive and add it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Isle wrote: »
    I had the same problem with a DVD drive on a Toshiba laptop a few years ago. It's an easy problem to fix but its extremely annoying if the problem keeps recurring (which it did in my case). Go into my computer and delete the DVD drive, then go into start > control panel > add new hardware, run the wizard and it will find your DVD drive and add it back.
    Hrm... did this first happen when you installed a camera? The problem sounds familiar...

Advertisement