Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spin tomorrow a.m. to Powerscourt Mountain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Reckon that it is Kippure you are talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

thats kippure mountain. need a good set of tyries to get to the top on that surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

ah the road surface isn't that bad. have gone up there twice recently and it's grand. just need to take it handy on the descent.

Kippure is it, looks like Powerscourt Mtn at the base on google maps. Kippure looks like it's further south. But I'm not familiar with area so I'm not saying you're wrong, just looks like a strange one to me.

apologies, dragged that little man out of the zoom bar on google maps and it says Kippure on the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Google Maps has Sally Gap called "Kippure" for some reason. It is Kippure all right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Google Maps has Airways Industrial Estate in someones back garden in Malahide.:confused:
    Not the most reliable mapping to be sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

nobody interested so for tomorrow? guess i'm the only one out of work here. hope the weather is as balmy tomorrow as it is now. have the back door open and you'd swear twas the middle of july. the thoughts of winter are depressing me already. if anyone sees this late and wants to head out send me a text on 0861082223. will be heading from Finglas around 9am.

is there a way of measuring gradient on google maps. want to see what it is like going up to Kippure. Kinda steep the last 100m or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

It's only fun if you do it in the howling wind and rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

is there a way of measuring gradient on google maps. want to see what it is like going up to Kippure. Kinda steep the last 100m or so.
    www.ridewithgps.com will give instantaneous gradient; www.mapmyride.com will give averages. Not very accurate and you will have issues with there not being a road marked on Google Maps so it may calculate the gradient of the side of the mountain instead. I think it nears 20% IIRC from my Garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

Google, or to be more precise Teleatlas, who supply the street map data to Google, aren't the most reliable for matching names and locations. Ordnance Survey while not 100% perfect either are much more reliable as their mistakes are normally just in the spelling of place-names.

One Google/Teleatlas mistake I've noticed repeated a lot is Kilakee Road being referred to as Stocking Lane.

daragh_ wrote: »
    It's only fun if you do it in the howling wind and rain.

nice weather today thank God. didn't necessarily make it any easier though. met a fella trying out a rifle right at the bottom. my HR was high enough and then i heard a gunshot which really woke me up. didn't think you'd be allowed try out rifles there.

last fri week visibility was only about 50ft on Kippure. gas to see the sheep up there i think. would be nice to have a boards TT up to the top of it i rekon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

nice weather today thank God. didn't necessarily make it any easier though. met a fella trying out a rifle right at the bottom. my HR was high enough and then i heard a gunshot which really woke me up. didn't think you'd be allowed try out rifles there.

last fri week visibility was only about 50ft on Kippure. gas to see the sheep up there i think. would be nice to have a boards TT up to the top of it i rekon.

Think there was one already.

I've only been up there twice. Once (on a lovely day last spring) to see if I could do it. Answer = Barely.
    The second time was (in the rain and wind) to see if it was as bad as I remembered. Answer = Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

im near enough to you pprendeville, was thinkin about a cycle like this for the first time, what the total distance you did today from door to door?
    well done, glad you had the weather, would have tried it with you but a man must bring home the bacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Hermy wrote: »
    Google Maps has Airways Industrial Estate in someones back garden in Malahide.:confused:
    Not the most reliable mapping to be sure.

Is that not just the route you usually take your fares?? (sorry couldn't resist);)

funkyjebus wrote: »
    im near enough to you pprendeville, was thinkin about a cycle like this for the first time, what the total distance you did today from door to door?
    well done, glad you had the weather, would have tried it with you but a man must bring home the bacon.

74k d2d. IF I had a job I prob wouldn't be trying it. If u fancy it some weekend let me know. tough on my own.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Is that not just the route you usually take your fares?? (sorry couldn't resist);)

What fares!:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

would be nice to have a boards TT up to the top of it i rekon.

There was one last year, 17 pages to read here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516001

Advertisement