Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Roads: Still not great?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Do you think The roads in ireland are still the worst in europe? Like even tho we have some motorways going to Dublin from most Irish cities! The N roads Are still Bad words In my Opnion I Think they should be improved. But the roads in ireland still pretty bad to be honest. But i must admit they are Improving alot! But some roads are still Bad! I Live In Co.Waterford. and going To Waterford airport From the waterford city side Is good! but going from the other side is awful the road is terrible to be honest. Do you think irish roads are still not to the Correct Standards?

Irish Road Map 2010: (Note: Some roads are planned They have not been built yet)
    NPR_plannedM_tags_c.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Overall, there's a hell of a long way to go before the entire roads network is up to prevailing western European standards.

My wish would be for the NRA to complete its upgrading work on the national routes (national primary and secondary roads) by about 2020.

It could then be given the task of upgrading regional roads to the standards seen in most western European countries.

We need to have a serious think about local roads - some could simply be abandoned, yet others could be downgraded from surfaced (asphalt) roads to unsurfaced roads, perhaps graded gravel, quite common on minor roads in Denmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

In my opinion Irish roads are still not great. Many are, but equally, many are not. Lots of N roads are not fit for purpose (of the ones I know I can list the N24, N28, N62, N72, N73, N74, and parts of the N80).

The solution is to concentrate on dualling a handful of national secondaries to link properly with the motorways (e.g. the N80 and a single new route to replace both the N72 and N73 from Killarney to the M8). You would only need to do this to a few national secondaries in a few key areas. The N24 needs to be dualled from Limerick to Waterford; it's a fairly critical link between the south-east, the mid-west and most of the western seaboard. There are other routes that need attention in the north west and west.

I think that other national secondaries such as the N62 should be detrunked, but only in the event that the N80/N52 were dualled. For instance if you did this you would direct all Athlone/Midlands-bound traffic from the south up along the M7/M8 to Portlaoise and from there to the M6, rather than cross country through Thurles and Roscrea as presently happens.

In short we need a targeted programme to upgrade certain key national secondaries; we need to detrunk several other national secondaries; we need to complete the N24 Western Corridor and several other primary routes e.g. N22 North Ring Road , N28, as well as more obvious ones like the M20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

If your on a road to Dublin it's not so bad but there is so many national routes to be upgraded yet.

The Atlantic Corridor needs to be prioritized as well as some of the national secondary road network. The regional road network needs continued investment in road repairs and re-pavement works. Road signs have improved but more safety signs especially on the local roads need more focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Furet wrote: »
    In my opinion Irish roads are still not great. Many are, but equally, many are not. Lots of N roads are not fit for purpose (of the ones I know I can list the N24, N28, N62, N72, N73, N74, and parts of the N80).

The solution is to concentrate on dualling a handful of national secondaries to link properly with the motorways (e.g. the N80 and a single new route to replace both the N72 and N73 from Killarney to the M8). You would only need to do this to a few national secondaries in a few key areas. The N24 needs to be dualled from Limerick to Waterford; it's a fairly critical link between the south-east, the mid-west and most of the western seaboard. There are other routes that need attention in the north west and west.

I think that other national secondaries such as the N62 should be detrunked, but only in the event that the N80/N52 were dualled. For instance if you did this you would direct all Athlone/Midlands-bound traffic from the south up along the M7/M8 to Portlaoise and from there to the M6, rather than cross country through Thurles and Roscrea as presently happens.

In short we need a targeted programme to upgrade certain key national secondaries; we need to detrunk several other national secondaries; we need to complete the N24 Western Corridor and several other primary routes e.g. N22 North Ring Road , N28, as well as more obvious ones like the M20.

Those N roads are all National Secondary roads...would it not be a better idea to improve the National Primary roads first?? Parts of the N17 can only be described as good regional roads at best.

I agree with the local roads...there are far too many to be economically maintained. I say stop maintaining these roads, and let whatever land/house owners they serve fill in the potholes as they appear.

Years later, these road will still be around 80% tarmaced...which isn't bad for these private driveways, which are publicly funded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

salonfire wrote: »
    Those N roads are all National Secondary roads...would it not be a better idea to improve the National Primary roads first?? Parts of the N17 can only be described as good regional roads at best.

Of course. There are many plans for the primaries, but even when (or if!) these all get implemented, we still won't have a "great" road network, though we will have a very good one. In order to have a great network, we'll need to look at some secondaries too, in order to provide connectivity between disparate regions. The aim should be to funnel almost all long-distance traffic into the motorway network via a criss-crossing stream of Type 2 DC national secondaries.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Some day the people of Ireland will elect me the leader and this is the Road network I will build. :D

This is what is needed and first priority should be to link North and South via a huge 3X3 M62 from Derry and Belfast to Munster, connecting to the M1 Ballygawley works for Belfast and onto Derry then.

The M20 and connecting Kerry to Motorway with the M72 and N22 2X2 from Ballyvourney to Ballincollig.

I did this in MS paint and the Orange bits are 2X2 like the CastleIsland bypass.

I would like to see others visions and more realistic ideals considering the economy.

128354.JPG

Advertisement