Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon & Beyond......

Options
  • 20-09-2010 6:28pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Back in Mid February 2010 I started running with the Couch to 5k plan and I started a training log to keep track of things.

Although I started being barely being able to run 1km non-stop by March my pace was around 9:00/km by May I had cut this to around 6:20/km and by September all the way down to around 5:40/km.

On the 18th September I took part in my first ever event which was the Dublin Half Marathon, my goal was to finish somewhere between 2hours & 2hours 15min. My final result was 1hour 56min 48sec

So with that under my belt I decided it was time to start a new training log as its no longer a couch25k, its moved onto something much more at this stage :)

My goal is now to run a number of events starting with my next event which will be the Waterford Half Marathon in December but although I won't be running the Dublin City Marathon this year I will certainly be doing it in 2011 :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's a fantastic time Cabaal! It seems like no time since you were starting couch to 5k .... brilliant progress!

Good luck with your new goals.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

littlebug wrote: »
    That's a fantastic time Cabaal! It seems like no time since you were starting couch to 5k .... brilliant progress!

Good luck with your new goals.

Thanks, I'm really thrilled with the time I honestly didn't think I'd get over the 2hour mark at all.

It was hard going at the start of the couchto5k but I'm glad I stuck with it, not only have I been able to run much faster times and longer distances but I've also gone back cycling and managed a number of 50-60km spins with hardly any bother. (previously they would have killed me)

Really curious how I'll be in February 2011 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That's fantastic progress you've made since February! Best of luck with the new log, and future goals :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

First run since the half marathon on Saturday, took it easy enough or so I thought.

September 14th Run:
    Distance: 5.02km
    Pace: 5:37/km
    Time: 28min 12sec

Really debating what type of training I'll start now, I had planned on the Hal Higdon's Half Marathon training intermediate as I previously did the novice.

However I'm debating maybe I'd be better off putting more miles in and doing perhaps the novice marathon training - http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm

Ok the next event I plan on doing is a half marathon in December but I'm thinking more miles would prepare for beyond that as well as making doing the HM easier going then say my first half marathon.

Decisions, decisions.....

September 23rd Run:
    Distance: 6.48km
    Pace: 5:42/km
    Time: 37min 01sec

Did my long run today, felt alright throughout

September 26th Run:
    Distance: 10.02km
    Pace: 5:50/km
    Time: 58min 32sec

• Advertisement

Don't have exact stats as didn't track it but here's the rough distance

September 28th Run:
    Distance: 6.60km
    Time: 40min

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Will keep an eye on your log and progress as we seem to have started our logs at the same time and often update at similar times.

Good luck.

September 30th Run:
    Distance: 7.46km
    Pace: 5:41/km
    Time: 42min 25sec

Stopped for a while as I moved some massive bag that had fallen off a truck onto the middle of the road so decided I'd be nice and move them out of the way as the lazy motorists were just driving around it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just catching up on your log now. Congrats on the half marathon achievement. Onwards an upwards!

October 2nd Run:
    Distance: 10.29km
    Pace: 5:45/km
    Time: 59min 20sec

Thats my long run for the week done, it was handy enough throughout the run.

October 3rd Cycle:
    Distance: 63km
    Time: 2hours 15min Approx

Finally got another cycle in, was a nice break from the running

• Advertisement

Its not been a good week for running at all and yet again I've done no speed work like I should under the training plan.

October 6th Run:
    Distance: 8.08km
    Pace: 5:42/km
    Time: 46min 07sec

Hoping to get another 8km in this evening and a cycle in over the weekend as well as my weekend run...

October 8th Run:
    Distance: 8.03km
    Pace: 5:24/km
    Time: 27min 10sec

October 9th Run:
    Distance: 5.00km
    Pace: 5:10/km
    Time: 25min 53sec

The above is my fastest 5km pace and time to date :)

October 12th Cycle:
    Distance: 31.2km
    Time: 1hour 5min approx

Didn't do any running at all last week, knee's haven't felt right and I was on a late shift in work.

However did a long spin on the bike yesterday

October 17th Cycle:
    Distance: 75.6km
    Time: 3hour 25min approx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Hope you get back running soon. Make sure you don't make the mistake of trying to make up for it too much too soon.

October 18th Run:
    Distance: 6.47km
    Pace: 5:34/km
    Time: 36min 06sec

October 20th Cycle:
    Distance: 32.50km
    Time: 1hour 20min

Very cold frosty morning cycle with LOTS of hills, not very pleasant compared to my 70km spin the other day. I need proper winter gear for cycling.

October 21st Run:
    Distance: 5.39km
    Pace: 5:28/km
    Time: 29min 31sec

My long run of the week, haven't done a massive amount of running during the past two weeks so was abit iffy about it but it went fine :)

October 23rd Run:
    Distance: 12.93km
    Pace: 5:54/km
    Time: 1hour 16min 30sec

October 24th Cycle:
    Distance: 54.00km
    Time: 1hour 50min approx

October 27th Run:
    Distance: 6.03km
    Pace: 5:45/km
    Time: 34min 40min

Really getting slack on the running this past two weeks, need to focus and get back into it next week big time.

I have a long run tomorrow morning so I'm going to start with that

October 31st Run:
    Distance: 5.16km
    Pace: 5:41/km
    Time: 29min 20min

It was supposed to be my 10km race as part of the training but didn't get time over the weekend and when I ran the above at 7.30pm lastnight I felt like crap. :confused:

I need to get back into the proper frame of mind and put the head down as I have the Waterford Half Marathon in early December and I want to see improvement over the Dublin Half Marathon time.

November 3rd Run:
    Distance: 7.71km
    Pace: 5:46/km
    Time: 44min 34min

November 6th Cycle:
    Distance: 42.1km
    Time: 1hour 37min approx

My long slow run for the week,

November 7th Run:
    Distance: 14.52km
    Pace: 5:44/km
    Time: 1hour 23min 22sec

Felt fine throughout, nipple chafe is a problem at these distances so need to sort that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey Cabaal, nice run today (apart from the chaffing!). Well done on keeping at it since your great time in the Dublin Half. You should definitely beat that in Waterford. That was my plan originally but I'm not so sure that'll happen now. We'll see! And DCM 2011? I shook on it in public at a big family party last weekend so i'll see you there :eek:. Keep up the good work!

claralara wrote: »
    Well done on keeping at it since your great time in the Dublin Half. You should definitely beat that in Waterford.

Thanks,
    But I don't know if I will to be honest, I've not done a full week of the hall hidgon plan I'm supposed to be doing since I started it, I'm going to try my best this week to do everything I'm supposed to.

That was my plan originally but I'm not so sure that'll happen now. We'll see!

What did you manage in the last half marathon you did?
    And DCM 2011? I shook on it in public at a big family party last weekend so i'll see you there :eek:. Keep up the good work!

I noticed the entrys are already open for it, if I had 70e spare I'd sign up and that would pretty much make me do it unless I got injured.

No idea what time I expect to do it in though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I have also not completed one full week of the plan I'm supposed to be following so snap right there!!

I did the Kildare Half (which was my first) in May in 2.04.54. I had hurt my ankle a few days previously and foolishly (and against all advice!!) I ran on it. That had me off my feet and unable to walk for 6 weeks...oops!

And then I did Dublin in 1.58.49.

Last week I decided to shoot for 1.57.30 in Waterford. Sure I might as well aim high!! It's quite unlikely I'll manage that but hopefullyit'll get me off the couch and on to my feet for the next 5 weeks.

I just spent €70 entering the Connemara Half so DCM will have to wait. Maybe I'll get it for christmas....:rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    I have also not completed one full week of the plan I'm supposed to be following so snap right there!!

I did the Kildare Half (which was my first) in May in 2.04.54. I had hurt my ankle a few days previously and foolishly (and against all advice!!) I ran on it. That had me off my feet and unable to walk for 6 weeks...oops!

You won't do that again atleast :)
    Even with the injury you did a good time though so hats off to you there.
    And then I did Dublin in 1.58.49.

Last week I decided to shoot for 1.57.30 in Waterford. Sure I might as well aim high!! It's quite unlikely I'll manage that but hopefullyit'll get me off the couch and on to my feet for the next 5 weeks.

I'm thinking I'm going to aim for 1hour 55min, I'm basing this on nothing more other then I like the number :)

I've no idea how I'll actually do sure nice to aim for something atleast,
    I just spent €70 entering the Connemara Half so DCM will have to wait. Maybe I'll get it for christmas....:rolleyes:

70e for a half?? feck thats expensive,
    I need to find an event for after the Waterford HM, I'm thinking a marathon perhaps in April/May so I can get in the training but is there any at that time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Cabaal wrote: »
    I need to find an event for after the Waterford HM, I'm thinking a marathon perhaps in April/May so I can get in the training but is there any at that time of year?

There's the Connemara full marathon (which is €70) on April 10th, and the Belfast Marathon (€38/£33) on May 2nd. I'd prefer a marathon through the countryside rather than through a city.

There's the Connemara full marathon (which is €70) on April 10th, and the Belfast Marathon (€38/£33) on May 2nd. I'd prefer a marathon through the countryside rather than through a city.

Oh interesting, I thought it was half, might have a think about doing one of those events as a first marathon.

I've never been to Belfast, marathon would be a nice way of seeing the city :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh interesting, I thought it was half,

There's a half, full and ultra with the half marathon route being the second half of the full marathon and the full marathon route being the last 2/3 of the ultra. www.connemarathon.com Make sure to look at the course profile before committing to anything!

I was sick yesterday so no run for me, feeling better today so should get a run in this evening. Fingers crossed.

November 10th Run:
    Distance: 10.02km
    Pace: 5:38/km
    Time: 56min 31sec

Happy with the pace throughout the run though it was the last thing I wanted to do lastnight I didn't want to miss another run as I';ve missed enough already.

Going to try do 8 x 400metres this evening as I want to see some improvment in speed.

Debating taking part in the Connamara Marathon in April after reviewing the website, 70e is pretty steep though but I want to take part in a marathon before Dublin ideally.

If I start the training after finishing the Waterford Half-Marathon that gives me enough time to fit in pretty much everything,

• Advertisement

Didn't run yesterday due to the very bad weather and very strong winds, hopefully this evening will be better :)

Advertisement