Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon & Beyond......

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Cabaal wrote: »
    You won't do that again atleast :)
    Even with the injury you did a good time though so hats off to you there.

It was hands down the stupidest thing I've ever done. I didn't listen to a word of advice from anyone who tried to offer it. That said, I can't say I would done any different in hindsight. :rolleyes: But I would probably give anyone who was thinking of running on a bad ankle an earful! I must learn to take my own advice!!
    I'm thinking I'm going to aim for 1hour 55min, I'm basing this on nothing more other then I like the number :)

I've no idea how I'll actually do sure nice to aim for something atleast,
    This is my type of reasoning. I like!

70e for a half?? feck thats expensive,
    I need to find an event for after the Waterford HM, I'm thinking a marathon perhaps in April/May so I can get in the training but is there any at that time of year?

It is expensive but Connemara just seems to be one figure regardless of what event you're doing. I've heard it's worth it anyway so fingers crossedit won't end me. You can enter the Half and change to the full until March 1st I think. I am being harrassed on a daily basis to switch to the full but I really don't think I'd be able for it. And I'd hate to HATE my first marathon!

The first Kildare Marathon is on next May actually. That was my Half this year and it was really enjoyable. Otherwise there are definitely some European City marathons in April / May which might provide a nice excuse for a weekend away!!

Enjoy your run tonight! I am taking a welcome hungover rest day!:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

November 13th Cycle:
    Distance: 41.9km
    Time: 1hour 40min approx

I like cycling I really do but these late evenings are making it extremely difficult, I'm also annoyed that the cycle computer I was using broke so can't really get any stats and just need to try and watch my depart and returm times :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

November 14th Run:
    Distance: 16.36km
    Pace: 5:36/km
    Time: 1hour 31min 49sec

My long run for the week, felt pretty good throughout the whole run although legs are abit iffy in places this morning but nothing major.

Very cold yesterday morning when I went for my 10mile run, alot of ice on the first 5km of the run which is worrying for the next two-three Months running wise.

If it snows like last year I'll be fecked for routes to run which will be very annoying!

November 16th Run:
    Distance: 8.15km
    Pace: 5:26/km
    Time: 44min 18min

So started running when I got home yesterday evening, it was just raining to start with but then the storm started.

By the time I got to the half way mark the wind had really picked up but dispite this I ran a pretty fast pace and this run likely has one of my fastest 5km's in it :)

Determined to not let the weather stop me running dispite how crazy people think I am running in shorts in the wind and rain :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Determined to not let the weather stop me running dispite how crazy people think I am running in shorts in the wind and rain :pac:[/QUOTE]

Thats what a good run can do for you. Just couple days ago you were saying the weather will stop us running..then you have a good day and suddenly think you can run forever and at all times. If only we could bottle it..:):)

• Advertisement

No run for me yesterday as during the 8km run the other night my foot slipped into a pothole and is hurting me abit since, I may go for a short run later but I'll need to look at my ankle first as I don't want to make it worse.

No run for me yesterday either, decided to leave it another day to see how my ankle feels,
    Might do a 3mile run this evening.

November 19th Run:
    Distance: 5.06km
    Pace: 5:41/km
    Time: 28min 44min

Had to stop three times due to my ankle being at me, walked the last 1km home as didn't want to push it

November 21st Run:
    Distance: 15.06km
    Pace: 5:33/km
    Time: 1hour 23min 44sec

My long run of the week, based on my training plan it was a 15km race.....I'm happy with the pace :) Next week I have 11miles to run.

Hey there, Sorry to see you might not make Waterford... fingers and toes crossed that you and you'll smash your Dublin time for that OCD inspired round 55!!

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Hey there, Sorry to see you might not make Waterford... fingers and toes crossed that you and you'll smash your Dublin time for that OCD inspired round 55!!

Waterford will be up in the air until I'd say the Friday, I'll need to see how things pan out. I'll be so annoyed if I don't make it after putting in the work

November 23rd Run:
    Distance: 5.31km
    Pace: 5:37/km
    Time: 29min 51sec

Calf muscles hurt a fair bit during this run, was supposed to be a 8km run but cut it short as at 5km I had enough.

No run for me lastnight as it was damn cold and I just wasn't in the mood.

Went for a run lastnight in the end when I got home fromm work at 8.30pm, it was frosty.....

November 25th Run:
    Distance: 5.03km
    Pace: 5:29/km
    Time: 27min 34sec

No runs at all during the weekend due to the snow, very annoyed as was due to do a 11mile run on Sunday. Can't see any running until this snow is gone :(

No running until further notice due to snow, this is some pain in the arse :(
    I'm doubting I'll beat my PB from the Dublin Half Marathon this even IF the Waterford goes ahead if the weather keeps up.

I got a run in yesterday before the heavy fog came in and decided to stay....its still pretty heavy as I type.

Luckily the route was pretty ice free but that's changed today

December 5th Run:
    Distance: 16.34km
    Pace: 5:54/km
    Time: 1hour 36min 26sec

Not a fast run but felt great to get out after 10 days without a run, by the time I was home although I was warm there was ice forming on my gloves :pac:

Unless the Waterford Half Marathon is canceled I should make it :)

After a 1km walk on lethal footpaths I got to a stretch of road I could actually run on as there wasn't much ice :)

December 9th Run:
    Distance: 4.8km
    Pace: 5:26/km
    Time: 26min 23sec

Now that the Waterford Half Marathon has been pushed back to the 15/01/2010 I'm going to see if I can get some training in.

I've been looking at the hal higdon training programme for marathon and I'm going to have to start it right now in order for it to be finished on the 11/04/2010....not 100% sure if its such a good idea and maybe I should wait for Belfast or Cork Marathon instead... :confused:

December 10th Run:
    Distance: 5.01km
    Pace: 5:19km
    Time: 26min 43sec

Going to do a 13.1mile long run tomorrow since that Waterford Half was canceled, the ice and snow is almost completely gone so finding a route shouldn't be a problem :)

I'm currently creating a marathon training plan off of hall hidgons plans with some minor changes, as recommended by Krusty I added three 20miles to it (there was only two).

Can be viewed here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RKx8TIQf-eWSOTkeDIJp0cX6VYxWBAhZUy_j_s1E2Q4/edit?hl=en&authkey=COeao1Q

Very heavy fog this morning but finally it lifted at around 11am so I managed to get my 13.1mile run in, not a fantastically fast time but then it was a long slow run not a race :)

December 12th Run:
    Distance: 21.12km
    Pace: 5:51km
    Time: 2hours 3min 32sec

• Advertisement

No runs since the LSR on Sunday, none the less today almost went by without one as well but even after rushing dinner and visiting family I came home at 8.40pm and got out for a run.

I decided for some reason I wanted to set a fast pace and get a 25min 5km, all started well but felt awful sluggish as the time went on...as can be seen from the graph below showing a steady drop :(

?size=1&n=0&lw=1&unit=km&id=229411610&mtime=1292440922

December 15th Run:
    Pace: 5:27km
    Time: 27min 28sec

Didn't get as many runs in this weekend as I had hoped, very very cold morning this morning (19th), found it hard going to get into the run and pick up any sort of speed.

December 16th Run:
    Distance: 8.08km
    Pace: 5:36km
    Time: 45min 24sec

Long slow run, slowest run I've done in awhile.....

December 19th Run:
    Distance: 16.11km
    Pace: 6:03km
    Time: 1hour 37min 38sec

So have you committed to hills of the west yet??

There's going to have to be some serious sock-pulling-up by me... hope you're not also suffering from the festive excesses!

Not update this in awhile so here's all the runs since

December 21st Run:
    Distance: 5.02km
    Pace: 5:47km
    Time: 29min 04sec

December 22nd Run:
    Distance: 8.07km
    Pace: 5:46km
    Time: 47min 16sec

December 26th Run:
    Pace: 5:49km
    Time: 29min 19sec

December 28th Run:
    Distance: 16.11km
    Pace: 5:46km
    Time: 1hour 32min 57sec

I'm aiming for a 15mile run before I do the Waterford Half on the 15th January, will most likely do the run this weekend I'd say :)

I didn't hit the finish (1000mile mark) on the 1000mile challenge thread but I did manage 494.6 miles so far

claralara wrote: »
    So have you committed to hills of the west yet??

Not yet, I've yet to have the spare cash available for it....Christmas is not a good time of year to have spare cash :confused:

Hope to have it soon with luck! :)
    There's going to have to be some serious sock-pulling-up by me... hope you're not also suffering from the festive excesses!

Not suffering as good as I thought I would, ok sure not getting as many runs in but atleast I got a 10mile in the other day and I felt pretty ok throughout the run. Its great its not freezing cold anymore :D

Going to aim for a 15mile run before the Waterford Half, I think once I have 15miles under my belt doing a full marathon won't be as scary anymore. Atleast thats what I'm hoping....but then I'll have to run 26miles!!! :pac:

First Run Of 2011

January 2nd Run:
    Distance: 24.16km
    Pace: 6:02km
    Time: 2hours 25min 54sec

Longest run to date at 15miles, the last mile and a half really was hard and I just wanted to stop but managed it in the end even if it wasn't a very fast run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Longest run to date at 15miles, the last mile and a half really was hard and I just wanted to stop but managed it in the end even if it wasn't a very fast run.
    That pace would still put you in front of over 100 others based on last years Waterford Half

Have you any finish time in mind?

zAbbo wrote: »
    That pace would still put you in front of over 100 others based on last years Waterford Half

Have you any finish time in mind?

Given the last half marathon was 1hour 56min 48sec, I'm hoping for say under 1hour 55....1hour 50min would be great :)

Don't think I've made enough progress to get this though, was hoping for better times by now but snow and on and off running hasn't helped I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Given the last half marathon was 1hour 56min 48sec, I'm hoping for say under 1hour 55....1hour 50min would be great :)

Don't think I've made enough progress to get this though, was hoping for better times by now but snow and on and off running hasn't helped I suppose.

I have roughly the same half marathon PB as you and the same Waterford goal!
    We can do it! :D

• Advertisement

Good running there the last few weeks. Well done for not falling victim to the christmas festivities too much. You're well set for Waterford now. If I head down, it'll just be an LSR for me.

Advertisement