Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon & Beyond......

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

January 6th Run:
    Distance: 5.02km
    Pace: 5:26km
    Time: 27min 18sec

January 9th Run:
    Distance: 16.11km
    Pace: 5:37km
    Time: 1hour 31min 02sec

My fastest 10mile to date beating the last fastest by 28sec :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jcsmum wrote: »
    I have roughly the same half marathon PB as you and the same Waterford goal!
    We can do it! :D

Indeed we can, only a few days to go now :)
    claralara wrote: »
    Good running there the last few weeks. Well done for not falling victim to the christmas festivities too much. You're well set for Waterford now. If I head down, it'll just be an LSR for me.

Tried my best not to fall victim over Christmas but the cold,icy weather didn't make things easy either.

Now connamara for me didn't have the money together for it and the places are gone now, guess its going to have to be Cork or Belfast instead now and then Dublin in October.

I'm still going to try beat my PB at the Waterford half on Saturday, might as well get my 20e worth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Ah sure not to worry there are plenty / too many races throughout the year! I've heard Cork is good craic. And best of luck on in Waterford - you should get a PB no bother at this rate.

January 10th Run:
    Distance: 7.31km
    Pace: 5:12km
    Time: 38min 02sec

Very flat route in comparison to my usual runs, nice to have a change of scenery as was get awful sick of the same route every evening and most weekends,

I've done some prep work picking some new routes for upcoming runs including a 20mile I'll be running in Feb, trying to avoid heavy traffic where I can :)

January 12th Run:
    Distance: 12.04km
    Pace: 5:26km
    Time: 1hour 05min 59sec

Had far too many layers on me so was roasted during this run, enjoyed it none the less as I hit some of my best paces for the first 2km or so at under 5:00/km (around 4:30/km) which was nice.

This was also a new route I've never run before so that made it enjoyable, although alot more people on it then I'm used to, out of these the dog walkers who couldn't control their dogs and teenagers who purposely got in my way were fun.....otherwise fine :)

My last run until Waterford Half on Saturday based on the fact I want to rest and I honestly don't have the time to fit in another run :)

• Advertisement

Hey, just saw your post on the HM thread - well done yesterday! That was a great time :D

Your hat is way cooler than mine! I didn't get a jester one, just a regular old keep-you-head-warm high viz hat. I still like it though - very functional! :)

Hey, just saw your post on the HM thread - well done yesterday! That was a great time :D

I'm def happy with it anyway :D
    That last blast of wind as I hit the running track almost killed me off but I managed one last push at the end.
    Your hat is way cooler than mine! I didn't get a jester one, just a regular old keep-you-head-warm high viz hat. I still like it though - very functional! :)

I think I'd rather the more regular hat as it has more likelyhood of being woren then the jester style :)

Now to plan my next event, I almost have my choice made now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

That was a great run, Cabaal. I met you briefly at the end of the race, well done on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on your PB on Saturday. That was a great time. I knocked 4 and a half mins off my last Half time. It's all good! :)

January 15th Run - Waterford Half Marathon:
    Distance: 21,09km
    Pace: 5:15 min/km
    Time: 1hour 51min 25sec

A new PB!!!

Forgot to post this up :)

• Advertisement

DigiJem wrote: »
    That was a great run, Cabaal. I met you briefly at the end of the race, well done on the PB!

I posted in the Waterford HM thread but for the life of me I couldn't remember your nick, good to meet you and thanks very much. How did your run go?
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done on your PB on Saturday. That was a great time. I knocked 4 and a half mins off my last Half time. It's all good! :)

Thanks alot, good to hear you got a new PB as well,
    I think what makes it even better is given the awful weather alot of people still managed new PB's :)

January 18th Run:
    Distance: 16.10km
    Pace: 6:01 min/km
    Time: 1hour 36min 57sec

I was really looking forward to this 10mile run, however from the start it didn't feel right at all....none the less I kept going (probably shouldn't have) and finished in a ok time for a LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Cabaal wrote: »
    I posted in the Waterford HM thread but for the life of me I couldn't remember your nick, good to meet you and thanks very much. How did your run go?

I had a good run, knocked a few minutes off my last HM time so I'm happy with that.

Ok this is due an update

January 20th Run:
    Distance: 5.01km
    Pace: 5:31 min/km
    Time: 27min 39sec

Felt hurt during this run as my leg kept hurting me so dropped the speed right down and slowly ran home after the half way mark

January 23rd Cycle:
    Distance: 54.59km
    Avg Speed: 25,5 km/hour
    Time: 2hours 08min 24sec

I decided a cycle would be best over the weekend instead of a LSR as 14miles wouldn't have done my leg any favors after the 5km the other night, so decided on something low impact.

Managed 54km but I'm so not used to being in the saddle again as haven't cycled since November, this is going to take some getting used to.

January 24th Run:
    Distance: 5.60km
    Pace: 5:25 min/km
    Time: 30min 26sec

Supposed to do a LSR lastnight (25th) of about 13-14miles but got home from work and was shattered and fell asleep on the couch, mrs told me to go to bed so was in bed at 7pm :eek:

Feeling better today, think maybe I'm fighting off something but no symptoms other then being very tired yesterday and kinda tired since last Friday.

Given how many people I know lately that have got some sort of bug including that vomiting bug that seems to be going around I'm not surprised if I am fighting something off.

Kind of annoyed now I won't get a LSR in this week as it is I've agreed to do a 100km cycle this weekend and I don't want to do a 13km LSR the day before it as I think this will really kill me. The 100km cycle along is likely going to take alot out of me.

This all of course is setting back my marathon training, not too worried as it was designed to finish for 11th April in time for Connamara Marathon but as I never entered that and instead I entered for Cork I have till June now :)

January 29th Run:
    Distance: 16.03km
    Pace: 6:01 min/km
    Time: 1hour 36min 28sec

Really enjoyed this LSR, was limited by time so sadly had to cut it short but felt great and would have went for 15miles had I had the time. Took it nice and eay and also went a different route to normal.

January 29th Cycle: - Barrow Wheelers 100km
    Distance: 100.52km
    Avg Speed: 25.2km/hour
    Time: 3hours 58min 42sec

Was kinda of worried I wouldn't be able for this but managed it in the end with a respectable time (atleast for me anyway :) ),

Right I'm back!

After my 100km cycle in Wexford I felt perfectly fine muscle wise but between other commitments, feeling abit sick towards the end of the week and then the awful crap weather at the weekend all my plans went down the drain.

I had planned on doing a 16miler last Sunday but called it off due to the weather (yes I know I know I need to HTFU).

Anyway I started this week as I mean to go on and started with a fast 5km,

February 7th Run:
    Distance: 5.02km
    Pace: 5:20 min/km
    Time: 26min 47sec

Lastnight I did just a few metres under a 10mile, weather was crap with strong winds and lots and lots of rain but I did it none the less :)

February 8th Run:
    Distance: 16.04km
    Pace: 5:49 min/km
    Time: 1hour 33min 29sec

No run for me today (9th) as I have an event to go so will be busy with that but plan a 7km on Thursday,

No run on Thursday or Friday due to family stuff, no run Saturday as had to go shopping with Mrs Cabaal :)

Longest run to date and legs are feeling it this morning abit but otherwise no strange pains or anything

February 13th Run:
    Distance: 27.08km
    Pace: 6:19 min/km
    Time: 2hours 51min 28sec

Just shy of 17miles!

Ok certainly not a fast pace but I was going for distance not speed, felt fine until mile 13 or so and after that legs got awful tired.

This run was also the first time I used gels, no bad reactions or anything and infact they helped shift a headache I was getting.

I need to sort something regarding water as I didn't have enough with me and I don't go anywhere near any shops to get any as I'm out in the middle of the country

Dispite the awful crap weather lastnight I had to fit in a run and I wanted a fast run at that.

So beating my previous fastest 5km by about 40sec I managed

February 16th Run:
    Pace: 4:59/km
    Time: 25min 03sec

I think I'm almost running my mid-week runs like they are LSR as I'm not pushing myself as much as I did lastnight, really going to have to rethink my midweek runs and come up with a plan perhaps pick some training plans to up the speed

Ok so I've not updated this in awhile so here goes....good and bad updates

February 19th Run:
    Distance: 2.69km
    Pace: 5:27/km
    Time: 14min 39sec

Felt awful so instead of doing 5km I stopped for awhile and then did intervals for 1.18km still felt awful so gave up and went home. :mad:

February 20th Run:
    Distance: 22.14km
    Pace: 6:00/km
    Time: 2hours 13min 05sec

This frankly was a very stupid run to do as the muscle above my left knee got very painful afterwards and felt like it had pins and needles so I ended up giving running a break.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the run as the route is normally a route I cycle as part of a 50km cycle so was a interesting experience to run it especially as it gives some very nice views of the countryside.

February 22nd Cycle:
    Distance: 22.70km
    Avg Speed: 25.4km/hour
    Time: 53min 34 sec

Mainly due to a change in my working hours I only had the mornings free and wanted to try take it easy to allow my left leg to feel ok again so I did a short cycle.

So that basically brings me up until the present as the next day on the 23rd Mrs Cabaal called me from home to tell me the house was flooded, I rush home to find our bedroom, hallway, living room, kitchen and dinning room full of water :(

So no running for me over the past few days due to all the cleanup, insurance business. Its not been fun :(

"Might" manage a easy 3 or 5km this evening if all goes well, also want to make sure my left leg isn't an issue again.

So annoyed was due to do a 20mile run on Sunday 27th but due to injury and flooding I neither wanted to chance it or had the time :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Cabaal wrote: »
    January 15th Run - Waterford Half Marathon:
    Distance: 21,09km
    Pace: 5:15 min/km
    Time: 1hour 51min 25sec

A new PB!!!

Forgot to post this up :)

Great time Cabaal, Well done...

Reading most of your posts since you started your C25k and you have made some amazing progress..

That was an unfortunate couple of weeks, sorry to hear about that. You're training is well on track though. Have you decided which race you're going to go for next? Cork or Kildare?

Hopefully you'll get the 20miles in this week but don't push it if you're not 100% - you'll be te times more annoyed if you injure yourself and have to take more time out (Trust me - take it from someone who made that mistake..). I have my own first 20 miler on Saturday...:eek:

Sorry silly me - I see you went with Cork! :)

That was an unfortunate couple of weeks, sorry to hear about that. You're training is well on track though. Have you decided which race you're going to go for next? Cork or Kildare?

Hopefully you'll get the 20miles in this week but don't push it if you're not 100% - you'll be te times more annoyed if you injure yourself and have to take more time out (Trust me - take it from someone who made that mistake..). I have my own first 20 miler on Saturday...:eek:

No 20miles this week I'm afraid as no time,
    I'm up to Dublin on Friday and won't be home till Sunday, its not all a loss though as I'm going to amphibian king in bray to get new shoes :)

I think 1300km+ on my Nuke Lunarglides is enough at this stage so thought it best to replace them ;)

I'm going to look to do some shorter easy runs before I do even a 16km

None-running stuff is affecting my training in a big way the past few weeks, to recap:

The house got flooded so I've had alot to take care of due to that, I've had a injury is making me ease back on the training and I've had alot of commitments with other stuff.

Now to update the thread with all my runs :)

March 1st Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:19min/km
    Time: 26min 45 sec

March 2nd Run - Intervals:
    Distance: 3.40km
    Avg Pace: 5:07min/km
    Time: 20min 37sec

(Injury starting to be noticed at this stage)

March 3rd Run - Intervals:
    Distance: 2.91km
    Avg Pace: 5:03min/km
    Time: 15min 34sec

(Due to pain in my leg I ended up cutting it sort and walking home)

(Got new shoes on the 6th up in Bray)

March 7th Run:
    Distance: 6km
    Avg Pace: 5:10min/km
    Time: 31min 11sec

March 9th Run:
    Distance: 10km
    Avg Pace: 5:42min/km
    Time: 57min 03sec

(I've upped the amount of stretching along with ice and a rolling pin! :eek:)

March 12th Cycle:
    Distance: 50km
    Avg Speed: 25.2km/hour
    Time: 1hour 59min 36sec

March 13th Run:
    Distance: 5km
    Avg Pace: 5:18min/km
    Time: 26min 36sec

March 14th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:26min/km
    Time: 54min 22sec

March 16th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:33min/km
    Time: 55min 53sec

March 20th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:31min/km
    Time: 55min 20sec

No LSR run as still kinda getting blisters from new shoes as not yet broken in and don't want to over do it due to the pain in my leg.

So that brings me up to date again :D

March 22nd Run:
    Distance: 16km
    Avg Pace: 5:32min/km
    Time: 1hour 26min 35sec

March 22nd Cycle - To/From Work:
    Distance: 50km
    Avg Speed: 27.3km/hour

March 27th Run:
    Distance: 24.14km
    Avg Pace: 5:59min/km
    Time: 2hour 25min 35sec

Mother off all blisters I've ever got after this run on the 27th, could barely walk the next day, never had one so bad from all the running/walking and hiking I've ever done, :mad::mad:

April 1st Run:
    Avg Pace: 4:46min/km
    Time: 24min 51sec

April 2nd Run:
    Distance: 6km
    Avg Pace: 5:13min/km
    Time: 31min 29sec

and that brings me up to date once more, 65 days until Cork Marathon and I've still not put any 20mile runs under my belt. Had I signed up to Connemara Marathon like I first planned I'd be very very worried right now :)

The issues I was having with my IT band are getting better and are certainly not what they were say 3 weeks ago but I can still notice its not back to the way it was pre the issues I've experienced,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

You've got two months to go - take away two weeks for taper. You really need to do a few 30+ km runs in the next month. The received wisdom seems to indicate minimum 3 of that length. Good luck but do 'em.

You'll regret the marathon if you try it with only a 25 k run under your belt.

All this from a bloke who hasn't run one yet!!

Didn't manage a run at all at the weekend due to a family emergency which meant I didn't get home till 8am Sunday morning, thankfully things are looking up but still a worrying time none the less :confused:

Went for a quick run yesterday to try clear my head.....

April 4th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:03min/km
    Time: 25min 29sec

Hopefully things will start to look up in advance of Cork now. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Just reading your log now Cabaal. Great progress! Well done and best of luck in coming weeks and preparation for Cork.

Advertisement