Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon & Beyond......

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

claralara wrote: »
    Hopefully things will start to look up in advance of Cork now. Best of luck :)
    EdMoses wrote: »
    Just reading your log now Cabaal. Great progress! Well done and best of luck in coming weeks and preparation for Cork.

Thanks lads, really looking forward to Cork now,

Although I'll be much happier once I have a 20mile LSR under my belt as I've gotten massively sidetracked due to injury and other stuff these past two months.

Dispite the injury and all the rest just looking over my log I can see that I've upped the speed on my 5km runs, whilst out on runs I regularily see my garmin reading 4:50km pace.

Even in December to hit anything under a 5:00/km pace used to kill me so its nice to see the speed improvments....now lets hope I can transfer it over to the longer runs :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

April 5th Run:
    Distance: 10km
    Avg Pace: 5:15min/km
    Time: 52min 38sec

Nice handy run, shouldn't have run with a long sleeve top as found it far too warm.

Since the evenings have gotten brighter its great to be able to run different routes on the back roads its allowing me to come up with many new and interesting routes :D

April 7th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:13min/km
    Time: 52min 25sec

Really thought I was going to break the 50min mark on this run, pushed myself below 5:00/km pace as much as I could towards the end. Still knocked some time off my last 10km....

Going to attempt a 20mile run this weekend or as close to it as I can (more then 15miles anyway) :D

Unsure of the route I'm going to take so going to take a spin out on the bike on Saturday to check the route I think I'll do, run will be Sunday.

If I get time it'll be intervals this evening

April 9th Run - Intervals:
    Distance: 2.97km
    Avg Pace: 5:17min/km
    Time: 15min 42sec

April 10th Run - 20miles!!!!!:
    Distance: 32.19km
    Avg Pace: 6:29min/km
    Time: 3hours 29min 13sec

Finally a 20mile run under my belt, found the last 5km awful hard going and found the heat very hard going too. I was very foolish and I began running at midday so things only got warmer and I also have a fair bit of sunburn :(

Walked around 2.5km of the last 5km on and off which I'm not very happy about but finished it none the less.

Other then the sunburn my legs aren't too bad and I don't really have any blisters which I'm happy about.

April 12th Cycle:
    Distance: 35.02km
    Avg Speed: 26.7km/hour
    Time: 1hour 19min 7sec

I was supposed to do a 10km run but decided on a quick cycle instead, very enjoyable and no pains from the 20miler on Sunday which is nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Cabaal wrote: »

April 10th Run - 20miles!!!!!:

Bit of a shock to the system, isn't it? The next 20 miler is much easier. Nice going.

brownian wrote: »
    Bit of a shock to the system, isn't it? The next 20 miler is much easier. Nice going.

Its more of a shock to finally have one under the belt, to think this time last year I saw 10km as a long distance to go. :)

I'm really hoping the next one I manage to actually run for the whole thing with no amount of walking, very happy with how my legs stood up to it no pains or anything the next day which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Defo ran too slow if there's no pain the next day :):) (not really, it's good to recover well). Take it fairly easy for the first ten, then the last five isn't as savage. Also, drink en route if you can (works for me, anyway), by doing (say) three or four laps past a bottle stash. A gel or two also good. Even when training, 20 miles is >75% of a marathon, so some fuel isn't out of place.

Great, isn't it...to go from 10K being a big achievement to it's being routine, and 20 miles being feasible. Marathon not far off at that rate...

Well during the 20miles I took a total of 4 gels, 2 lucozade 500ml sports drinks and 500ml water. Even at that I foundI had a slight headache towards the end which didn't shift until I had food at home.

I think I may now have been hydrated enough to begin with,

Had to drive out before hand to drop the water as its hard for me to come up with a loop thats 20miles where I can keep passing the same point, I'll have a rethink of some routes

Dublin Marathon Entry
    Order complete

Your order is complete! Your will shortly receive an email confirming your entry details.

Right thats it, I better keep on track regardless of how Cork City goes in June :pac:

• Advertisement

April 20th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:12min/km
    Time: 52min 11sec

April 22nd Run:
    Distance: 16.10km
    Avg Pace: 5:27min/km
    Time: 1hour 27min 54sec

April 24th Run: (20miles!)
    Distance: 32.12km
    Avg Pace: 6:05min/km
    Time: 3hour 16min 22sec

My second 20miles and better then the last one as I actually ran all of it instead of walking the last 4km like the last one. Found it very hard after the 15mile mark though and did stop for a few seconds about 4-5 times.

At the end of the run on the way home I wadded through a local river and I have to say the cold water felt great, was extremely tempted to go for a swim :pac:

I was off work until the 3rd May so had all the great intentions in the world of fitting in some nice runs and even doing a 100km spin on the bike while I was off but ended up with a chest infection so that fecked my whole week :(

So instead ended up sorting lots of stuff with the house, so although I go zero runs done atleast the house is returning to normaility.

Getting better now and chanced my first run again yesterday, felt fine throughout but had abit of a coughing fit at the end which wasn't so fine but was ok a few min later.

May 3rd Run:
    Distance: 5.01km
    Avg Pace: 5:00min/km
    Time: 25min 06sec

Massive lack of updates....so here goes!!

May 6th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:03min/km
    Time: 25min 22sec

May 9th Run:
    Distance: 10.00km
    Avg Pace: 5:07min/km
    Time: 51min 13sec

May 10th Run:
    Distance: 3.00km
    Avg Pace: 5:28min/km
    Time: 16min 49sec

May 14th Run:
    Distance: 24.00km
    Avg Pace: 5:43min/km
    Time: 2hours 17min 15sec

May 16th Run:
    Distance: 10.01km
    Avg Pace: 5:31min/km
    Time: 55min 13sec

May 17th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:12min/km
    Time: 52min 04sec

May 21st Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:31min/km
    Time: 55min 29sec

May 22nd Run: (fast for me :) )
    Avg Pace: 4:50min/km
    Time: 24min 12sec

May 24th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:10min/km
    Time: 51min 45sec

So due to all different things going on at present I didn't manage my third 20mile run which I'm annoyed about and also alittle worried how this will affect me on June 6th in Cork. On the plus side all work on my house after the episode in February is now 99.9% done! :D

Once again running is a washout this weekend due to real life stuff in the way which is very annoying but I hopefully will manage a 10km on Sunday or perhaps a 10 or 15mile.

Finally received my fundraising pack for the marathon so started raising money, I setup a sweepstakes in work were people have to guess my finish time and that's proved interesting to see what people think I'll finish it in :)

<PLUG>Though times are hard for alot of people any donations are very welcome @ http://www.mycharity.ie/event/corkrunning </PLUG>

May 29th Run:
    Distance: 20.17km
    Avg Pace: 5:25min/km
    Time: 1hour 52min 26sec

My last long run before Cork City next Monday,

May 30th Run:
    Distance: 4.02km
    Avg Pace: 4:53min/km
    Time: 19min 42sec

Should have really taken a rest day instead of doing a 4km, found the run hard and didn't at all feel right so I cut it sort by 1km. Wasn't the best idea to run this fast either :confused:

Will take it easy for the rest of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Should have really taken a rest day instead of doing a 4km, found the run hard and didn't at all feel right so I cut it sort by 1km. Wasn't the best idea to run this fast either :confused:
    Will take it easy for the rest of the week
    The training is done. This week is all about getting to the start line as rested and ready as you can be. Early nights, healthy food, and when you do run, keep it easy. Most important: stay away from sick people!

Weather looks perfect for Monday (if you can believe weather reports this far in advance). 10-16'C, sunny, with a mild breeze.

The training is done. This week is all about getting to the start line as rested and ready as you can be. Early nights, healthy food, and when you do run, keep it easy. Most important: stay away from sick people!

Weather looks perfect for Monday (if you can believe weather reports this far in advance). 10-16'C, sunny, with a mild breeze.

I plan on being rested as I can, trying to stay away from sick people but doesn't help two people are sick in work. :confused:

Hope it isn't too sunny on Monday or I'll be dieing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey cabaal Best of luck on Monday. I see from the events thread that you are planning on sticking with the 4hr pace group. So be sure to introduce yourself. A few of us are going for food on Sunday evening if you're interested.

June 1st Cycle:
    Distance: 40.75km
    Avg Speed: 26,6 km/h
    Time: 01:31:51

Felt good to be out on the bike and legs felt great afterwards, took it easy enough and for once in a long time there was no strong winds.

Going to do a 2mile easy jog Saturday and then thats it until Monday! :pac:

So I completed the Cork City Marathon and finally have the medal to prove it, my target time was 4hours or less (ideally less) but then this was my first marathon so perhaps I was being too optimistic.

I stuck with menoscemo and the 4hour pacers from the start and felt perfectly fine in fact at the half way mark we were exactly on target which was some boost.

As we left the disused railway line and headed back onto the main road I was starting to find it hard going and for the first time I had to really work at keeping pace with the 4hour lads.

Finally the legs started to seize up big time at 28km mark and I had to stop to walk, it was a awful frustrating experience to do this as I saw the 4hour pacers off in the distance but sure there was nothing I could do.

Eventually after perhaps 1km I started running again with the encouragement of another runner and I stuck with him for awhile but then I found my HR kept going through the roof and I had to stop again.

On and off anytime I ran my HR went crazy and I had to stop again to walk, it honestly was a really frustrating experience!

Had tonnes of encouragement from numerous spectators including the family who just kept shouting "164!, 164!, 164!" which kept me running for another awhile and lots of encouragement from runners but had to stop and walk.

Eventually coming back into the city I heard the 4:30 pacers behind and was determent to try to stay with them until the finish and I did for awhile but again the very high HR forced me to stop and walk again.

Once more another runner got me running again just after I lost the 4:30 pacers and I think I most likely stayed with him the longest as he kept starting and stopping as well due to injury but as we hit the quays I had to stop again and he was lucky enough that he was able to keep going.

Ended up run/walk for the rest of the quays but for the last 500metres I was determent not to walk across that finish line so I just floored it as best as I could and I have to say that crossing that finish line and hearing my name on the announcement was an amazing experience.

Official finish chip time was 4:34:16.

I've already entered for Dublin as anyone who reads this log will know so I;m going to have to do a better job on training for that.

I did miss out on alot of training for Cork City due to stuff with the house and the water damage and I also had the chest infection which caused me to miss my 3rd 20mile run and more training.

Right now as I type this I have to say my legs are in some pain this morning but they are slowly getting better after yesterdays punishment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done Cabbal, you stuck in there, and kept going :) Enjoy a well deserved rest, and then onwards to DCM'11.

Maybe get yourself a bit of a sports rub during the week, to loosen up the legs.

Well done yesterday. You stuck in for a good few miles there once the going got tough.
    The pace is not a problem for you, the only issue was not enough miles in the legs. So get putting in those miles between now and Dublin and you should break 4 hours next time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 agore21

Well done on the time Cabaal
    Your story of Monday's marathon is very similar to mine except I started out behind the 4:30 pacers and was with them up to the 17 mile maker. Feel off badly between the 19 and 23 mile makers and ended with a chip time of 4:50. Was trying my hardest to get in front of the 4:45 pacers for the last 3 or so miles but just couldn't manage it. Was happy though that I managed to finish strong. I was peggin' down Patrick St to the finish line. Really pleased with myself though as was my first marathon.

That family shouting out the bib numbers were brilliant! I was struggling to get running again as had pulled up walking and was suffering from the same frustration as you. They really lifted my spirits and gave me a boost. I though a lot of the half marathon runners were great too. A lot of them were giving me great encouragement as they passed me when I was suffering.

What a great day though...!!!

RubyK wrote: »
    Well done Cabbal, you stuck in there, and kept going :) Enjoy a well deserved rest, and then onwards to DCM'11.

Maybe get yourself a bit of a sports rub during the week, to loosen up the legs.

Thanks, Nearly killed me to keep going but it was def worth it in the end, all very much a learning experience including how I will recover after DCM
    :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done yesterday. You stuck in for a good few miles there once the going got tough.
    The pace is not a problem for you, the only issue was not enough miles in the legs. So get putting in those miles between now and Dublin and you should break 4 hours next time :D

I had a feeling as such coming up to it, I'd missed one on training and cut back on other training due to personal commitments but thought I'd be able to pull it off with the training I had....sure we know the outcome.

Things should be abit more stable over the coming months so once I outline the training plan I should have a much better chance of sticking to it better then I did for Cork, I'm determent to break 4hours for DCM one way or another :)

agore21 wrote: »
    Well done on the time Cabaal
    Your story of Monday's marathon is very similar to mine except I started out behind the 4:30 pacers and was with them up to the 17 mile maker. Feel off badly between the 19 and 23 mile makers and ended with a chip time of 4:50. Was trying my hardest to get in front of the 4:45 pacers for the last 3 or so miles but just couldn't manage it.

I found it an awful feeling seeing first the 4hour and then 4.30hour pacers passing me by and going off into the distance, worst still with the 4.30hour pacers given it was so close to the end.
    Was happy though that I managed to finish strong. I was peggin' down Patrick St to the finish line. Really pleased with myself though as was my first marathon.

Good going to finish strong can't have been easy, given I walked the quays I did the same as I just didn't want to walk across that line.
    That family shouting out the bib numbers were brilliant! I was struggling to get running again as had pulled up walking and was suffering from the same frustration as you. They really lifted my spirits and gave me a boost. I though a lot of the half marathon runners were great too. A lot of them were giving me great encouragement as they passed me when I was suffering.

What a great day though...!!!

Def a great day and the encouragement from both the public and all the runners was definitely something I'll remember as anytime I felt in bits and almost wanted to give up somebody always got me going again if even for a little bit.

As for the family they lifted my spirits and made me smile at the same time as they seemed pretty committed to the support they were giving to everyone that passed, :)

I had a feeling as such coming up to it, I'd missed one on training and cut back on other training due to personal commitments but thought I'd be able to pull it off with the training I had....sure we know the outcome.

Things should be abit more stable over the coming months so once I outline the training plan I should have a much better chance of sticking to it better then I did for Cork, I'm determent to break 4hours for DCM one way or another :)

It's not just the long runs (20 milers) you need to concentrate on. Try to get a nice longish run in midweek too (10+ miles). As the midweek runs get longer the long runs at the weekend seem less daunting. You need to get to the stage where doing a 20 miler is very comfortable, then you have a good chance of lasting the distance on the day.

Steady 40 mile weeks should see you good for sub 4 in Dublin.

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's not just the long runs (20 milers) you need to concentrate on. Try to get a nice longish run in midweek too (10+ miles). As the midweek runs get longer the long runs at the weekend seem less daunting. You need to get to the stage where doing a 20 miler is very comfortable, then you have a good chance of lasting the distance on the day.

Steady 40 mile weeks should see you good for sub 4 in Dublin.

Yeah thats what I missed out on alright, though I suppose I go on about that third 20mile abit too much so it may not seem like I think or know it. :P

Numerous times I missed out on the longish runs during the week and that def had a big impact which I could felt on the LSR on the Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on being able to say that you're a marathon runner now! Sounds like you hit a few difficult patches but you got through them and that's a sure sign of strength! Dublin will be a blast of a second marathon..That's what I'm hoping anyway! :)

claralara wrote: »
    Well done on being able to say that you're a marathon runner now! Sounds like you hit a few difficult patches but you got through them and that's a sure sign of strength! Dublin will be a blast of a second marathon..That's what I'm hoping anyway! :)

Thanks, as you said I can finally call myself a marathon runner which is about time! :)

It was a learning experience and something I'm going to build on for DCM, really looking forward to Dublin now and training will get underway in another week or so.

Time to post some updates since Cork,

I took it very easy the first week after cork, hel my legs were not in great shape for the first 3 days or so.

First run I did I took very easy, especially slowed down towards the end of it.

June 11th Run:
    Distance: 4.00km
    Avg Pace: 6:08min/km
    Time: 24min 35sec

Not so easy run, ran this on a route I never ran before beside the River Nore in Kilkenny and really enjoyed the change as I'm really getting tired of the same old routes.

June 14th Run:
    Distance: 8.01km
    Avg Pace: 5:41min/km
    Time: 45min 34sec

fastest run since Cork, felt pretty good throughout to be honest and no issues with the legs.

June 20th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:04min/km
    Time: 25min 25sec

Whilst not initially planned I decided to do abit of interval work during this run, at about the half way mark it poured out of the heavens and I really mean poured!

Although out of all the recent runs I enjoyed this the most, least I know that Cork didn't ruin running for me :pac:

June 21th Run:
    Distance: 5.13km
    Avg Pace: 5:44min/km
    Time: 29min 29sec

I'm hoping to get a easy run in on Saturday morning and a long slow run of perhaps 10 miles in on Sunday then next week I begin training for the DCM.

Fun times ahead :D:D:D:D

Last non-training run yesterday, headed out for what should have been 10miles but it got alot hotter then I expected about 20min into the run and I had no water so stopped at the 12km mark.

June 26th Run:
    Distance: 11.34km
    Avg Pace: 5:42min/km
    Time: 1hour 4min 43sec

DCM Training officially starts today following this plan - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rYfGtHaAJ9tIWsRoAIXDR0anXrW3ocGNDQVeRW9AorY/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CMiHhY8F

No running today however, instead I'm going to do some cross training in the form of maybe 20miles on the bike.

Debating creating a new training log since this one has pretty fulfilled its purpose and I got to beyond a half marathon by doing a marathon also as well as training for DCM I want to get a sub 50min 10km as upto now I'm hitting 52min +/-

• Advertisement

First day of DCM training, a cycle

June 28th Cycle:
    Distance: 30.42km
    Avg Speed: 26.8km/hour
    Time: 1hour 8min 01sec

Running this evening

Advertisement