Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon & Beyond......

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've been sick and its been f*cking with my plans in a big way!

Finally feeling better now so a proper week of training is finally going to happen

June 28th Run:
    Distance: 8.15km
    Avg Pace: 5:14min/km
    Time: 42min 48sec

June 29th Run:
    Distance: 5.01km
    Avg Pace: 5:21min/km
    Time: 26min 38sec

Doing the run on the 29th was a very bad idea and set me back alot, :(

July 4th Run:
    Distance: 12.01km
    Avg Pace: 5:37min/km
    Time: 1hour 7min 33sec

Doing this run was always not a good idea as I still wasn't well :(

July 9th Run:
    Distance: 10.01km
    Avg Pace: 5:31min/km
    Time: 55min 16sec

Did this run up in Co Kildare as I happened to be staying up there, had no route so ended up going back and forth alot in housing estates as I kept running out of footpath the the roads were busy

July 11th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:24min/km
    Time: 27min 08sec

Working late shift this week so all morning runs this week, lets see if I can get some decent miles in now :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seriously need to update this, I am still actually running though I'm behind in keeping with my training plan but working on it :)

Time for a big update again :)

July 12th Run:
    Distance: 5km
    Avg Pace: 4:56km
    Time: 24:45

July 14th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:26km
    Time: 27:17

July 15th Run:
    Distance: 14.36km
    Avg Pace: 5:43km
    Time: 1:22:11

July 17th Run:
    Distance: 5.00km
    Avg Pace: 4:49km
    Time: 24:06

July 19th Run:
    Distance: 6.01
    Avg Pace: 5:08km
    Time: 30:53

July 23th Run:
    Distance: 6.22km
    Avg Pace: 5:15km
    Time: 32:42

July 26th Run: - Running in Dingle :)
    Distance: 6.97km
    Avg Pace: 5:30km
    Time: 38:25

July 28th Run: - Running around the Cliffs of Moher
    Distance: 34.52km
    Avg Pace: 5:42km
    Time: 34:52

July 30th Run: - Running in Cong Co Mayo
    Distance: 8.30km
    Avg Pace: 5:35km
    Time: 46:26

August 2nd Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:00km
    Time: 25:03

August 3rd Run:
    Distance: 10.00km
    Avg Pace: 5:13km
    Time: 52:14

August 4th Run:
    Distance: 5.19km
    Avg Pace: 5:10km
    Time: 26:51

August 6th Run:
    Distance: 14.44km
    Avg Pace: 5:14km
    Time: 1:15:40

August 7th Run:
    Distance: 9.38km
    Time: 48:56

August 8th Run:
    Distance: 7.33km
    Avg Pace: 5:15km
    Time: 38:34

August 9th Run:
    Distance: 16.22km
    Avg Pace: 5:29km
    Time: 1:29:01

August 11th Cycle
    Distance: 31.54km
    Avg speed: 25.2km/hour
    Time: 1:15:11

August 12th Run:
    Distance: 12.22km
    Avg Pace: 5:49km
    Time: 1:11:15

August 14th Run:
    Distance: 24.00km
    Avg Pace: 5:41km
    Time: 2:16:33

August 16th Run:
    Distance: 16.09km
    Time: 1:24:09

August 17th Cycle:
    Distance: 21.83km
    Avg Speed: 27.0km/hour
    Time: 48:26

August 18th Run:
    Distance: 7.50km
    Avg Pace: 5:18km
    Time: 39:47

August 20th Run:
    Avg Pace: 5:14km
    Time: 26:13

August 21st Run:
    Distance: 28.01km
    Avg Pace: 5:46km
    Time: 2:41:38

That rings me up to date, really enjoyed the last two LSR's...it likely helped that they were new routes I've never run before. I feel the training is back on track for DCM.

Got some nice runs around the west coast when I went camping towards the end of July, the run in Cong Co Mayo was really nice as it was a large wood beside the village.

Now if I can just keep this log up to date I'd be doing fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Cabaal wrote: »

the run in Cong Co Mayo was really nice as it was a large wood beside the village.

My (occasional) stomping ground :) lovely to run in. There was a great 8k race through the woods a couple of months ago. You've reminded me now to get back over there one of these days.

littlebug wrote: »
    My (occasional) stomping ground :) lovely to run in. There was a great 8k race through the woods a couple of months ago. You've reminded me now to get back over there one of these days.

You very luck it really is a lovely area,

Myself and mrs cabaal stayed in campsite just outside cong for two days in a tent (cheapest way of seeing Ireland :) ). Really nice village and lovely places for runs and walks around the area. Loved the woods

• Advertisement

August 23rd Run: - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108844881
    Distance: 6.81km
    Avg Pace: 5:05km
    Time: 34:38

Enjoyable enough run, very warm out yesterday evening, really haven't been drinking enough water these past few days so that needs to be addressed.

August 24th Run: - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/109095062
    Distance: 12.11km
    Avg Pace: 5:23km
    Time: 1:06:01

Due to do a 16.09km run for starters but that fell by the wayside pretty quick I think, for the first 4km legs felt heavy and lifeless and took a good long time to loosen up.

Stopped at around 5km and took some water and walked around to see if things would get better, the legs did but then my stomach started acting up for the second time in two weeks.

Kept it together until the 12km mark and decided against doing another 4km and thought it best to head home at that stage, somewhat annoyed but will make up for it next week as have a few days off.

August 25th Run - Intervals
    Distance: 2.17km
    Avg Pace: 5:40km

Didn't warm up properly before this and ended up doing more harm then good, lets hope thats lesson learned......

August 28th - LSR
    Distance: 21.20km
    Pace: 5:27/km
    Time: 1:55:34

August 30th - Warm up for intervals
    Distance: 5.50km
    Pace: 5:24/km
    Time: 29:46

August 30th - Intervals
    4.02/km
    3.48/km
    3.51/km
    4.01/km
    3.51/km
    3.59/km
    400m distances for a total of 3.24km

August 30th
    Distance: 3.52km
    Pace: 5.09/km
    Time: 23.18

Just wanted to get another run in on this day to make it three :)

September 1st:
    Distance: 5.66km
    Pace: 5.37km
    Time: 23.18

Aim for this run was to keep HR under 150bpm, so took it nice and handy

September 3rd - Pre-Race Warm up
    Distance: 1.16km
    Pace: 5.06km
    Time: 5.56

September 3rd - Woodies National Half Marathon (Waterford)
    Distance: 21.08km
    Pace: 4.58/km
    Time: 1.44.41

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111564355
    Really enjoyed this race, started the Garmin a little late however. Very happy with the finish time. (Official Chip time 1:44:51)

September 3rd - After Race Cool Down
    Distance: 0.68km
    Pace: 8.11/km
    Time: 5.33

September 5th:
    Pace: 4.58/km
    Time: 49.51

My first sub 50 10km run, it felt great! :pac:

Despite the other evening I ran my first ever sub 50min 10km and really enjoying the run so much I haven't gotten around to updating my log due to recent events.

As I'm sure all of you have heard in the news TalkTalk Group are closing its Waterford site so that's me redundant from the start of October, its been a hard three years for me and my other half but this is really the icing on the cake :(

What makes it even harder is I enjoyed the challenges my job brought me every day so I guess I was one of the few that enjoys enjoyed their job...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Cabaal wrote: »
    Despite the other evening I ran my first ever sub 50min 10km and really enjoying the run so much I haven't gotten around to updating my log due to recent events.

As I'm sure all of you have heard in the news TalkTalk Group are closing its Waterford site so that's me redundant from the start of October, its been a hard three years for me and my other half but this is really the icing on the cake :(

What makes it even harder is I enjoyed the challenges my job brought me every day so I guess I was one of the few that enjoys enjoyed their job...

So sorry to read that Cabaal :( You must be gutted. Fingers crossed for you that you'll get sorted with another job asap. It's really hard, but try to keep the head up and stay positive.

• Advertisement

Finding it hard to get into training again after the last two weeks and the situation with the job, managed a 5km run this morning before work at about 6.30am. Will update this shortly.....

uggghhhhh. things haven't gone so good since my last update on the 5th Sept.

Training up until start of Sept was going well, I was on track to easily hit my DCM target, now I'm not too sure and I know for a fact I WILL struggle from 20mile onwards in a big way.

September 11th:
    Pace Per KM: 4:46
    Time: 23:43

September 11th:
    Pace Per KM: 5:11
    Time: 25:55

September 13th
    Pace Per KM: 5:04
    Time: 1:21:40

September 19th
    Pace Per KM: 5:01
    Time: 24:37

September 21st:
    Distance: 8.31km
    Time: 41:44

September 22nd:
    Distance: 10km
    Pace Per KM: 5:15
    Time: 52:32

September 24th:
    Time: 24:36

September 25th:
    Distance: 21.10km
    Pace Per KM: 5:34
    Time: 1:57:24

September 27th:
    Pace Per KM: 4:55
    Time: 49:12

September 28th:
    Pace Per KM: 4:54
    Time: 24.36

October 2nd:
    Distance: 32.20km
    Pace Per KM: 6:12
    Time: 3:19:38

October 4th:
    Pace Per KM: 4:54
    Time: 49:01

October 10th:
    Pace Per KM: 5.05
    Time: 25:26

October 11th:
    Time: 50:06

October 12th:
    Pace Per KM: 5:02
    Time: 50:21

October 11th:
    Pace Per KM: 4:49
    Time: 24:08

October 15th:
    Pace Per KM: 5:15
    Time: 52:31

October 17th:
    Distance: 31.18km
    Pace Per KM: 5:49
    Time: 3:07:16

October 19th:
    Pace Per KM: 4:44
    Time: 23:42

October 20th:
    Distance: 4.21km
    Pace Per KM: 4:47
    Time: 20:07

October 23rd:
    Distance: 21.09km
    Pace Per KM: 5:16
    Time: 1:51:03

October 24th - First Barefoot Run
    Distance: 1.18km
    Pace Per KM: 5:21
    Time: 6:20

October 25th
    Pace Per KM: 4:47
    Time: 23:57

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You've done really well to keep up with your training over the last 8 weeks in the face of everything. It was probably a big help in terms of keeping you sane as well. It's not the end of the world if the posts have moved from what was the original goal (trust me!). What matters is that you didn't give up and you'll cross that finish line and deserve every bit of elation that comes with it. The last 6.2 miles will be tough - there's no avoiding that. I expect no matter how many marathons one runs, that will remain the case. I'm already dreading them. But my advice would be, and the best bit of advice I got before Connemara was, to just enjoy it - enjoy the atmosphere, the people, the good, the bad and the ugly and most of all the sense of achievement - it really is phenomenal! Have a great day, and best of luck! :D

claralara wrote: »
    You've done really well to keep up with your training over the last 8 weeks in the face of everything. It was probably a big help in terms of keeping you sane as well.

Found it hard to get into the training after most days in work given the massive amount of stuff that was being thrown at me each day regardfing what I needed to do, my options and trying to apply for new jobs.

Funny thing is during this whole time I hit two new PB for both my 5km and 10km training runs! :)
    It's not the end of the world if the posts have moved from what was the original goal (trust me!). What matters is that you didn't give up and you'll cross that finish line and deserve every bit of elation that comes with it.

There's a few things in the works at the moment thankfully and having the past few weeks off has been great to clear the head.

Really looking forward to Dublin, much more so then Dublin.
    Although I know its going to be hard I'm happier with my progress (despite the loss of alot of training in Sept), I'm also really looking forward to the buzz of the whole thing :)

The last 6.2 miles will be tough - there's no avoiding that. I expect no matter how many marathons one runs, that will remain the case. I'm already dreading them. But my advice would be, and the best bit of advice I got before Connemara was, to just enjoy it - enjoy the atmosphere, the people, the good, the bad and the ugly and most of all the sense of achievement - it really is phenomenal! Have a great day, and best of luck! :D

Playing catch up on alot of threads in ART at the moment so not 100% sure what your aiming for, from what I saw previously with your training log and the 1000 mile challenge thread you should be flying for DCM.

My plan is stick with menoscemo & co and this time get further then mile 17/18 (unlike Cork!), betting will meet alot of boards's so will be able to put even more faces to usernames by the end of it all and hoping to have a great time

October 27th
    Pace Per KM: 5:05
    Time: 50:57

Last long run before DCM, will do 3miles very easy on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Best of luck Monday, you must be due some after recent events.
    I know for a fact I WILL struggle from 20mile onwards in a big way.

If things are getting tough towards the end offer Menoscemo and the other pacers a pint and they might give you a lift (otherwise known as Plan B:D). Seriously you will be fine, the support and the buzz will help as well.

Dublin City Marathon Race Report:
    So here's the summary.......finally I got my sub4 after a defeat during the Cork Marathon in June this year. Here's the details though..

I was very lucky to be staying literally a 5min walk from the 4hr pace area so I headed to the start line with about 20min to start time which was nice (especially as I had seen people heading for the start at 7am! :eek: ).

Said hello to menoscemo and the other 4hr pacers and was chatting to a few different people and then we were off.

Started off initially with slight pain in my left calf however after 2-3km that went away and I did a check every so often to see how things were fairing, all systems go.

Initially I stayed with menoscemo and the lads but since those big balloons kept either hitting me or the string got in my way I decided to setup myself in front of them instead.

Kept going comfortable and unlike Cork and even my LSR's I decided to drink as much water as possible even if this required the picking up of two bottles at the water stations, I also decided to pour as much water on me as I could get to cool myself.

Within the first 5km I was sweating buckets and based on something I read that for every 1c your body temp raises your HR goes up by so many BPM I decided it was definitely in my best interest to keep myself as cool as I could.

Previously on long runs my HR went from 180bpm to 200bpm and I'd be in awful trouble and this is exactly what happened in Cork as seen here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90626691, it is clear now that was due to overheating.

Anyway back to the race....

So with the body temp in mind I kept cool made sure to take on gels and anything else I had with me.

Whilst going through the Phoenix park I noticed I was going abit too fast as I was looking back and kept seeing the black 4hr pacer balloons upto 500metres away.

Instead of slowing to catch them again I decided every so often slow down abit and then return to my previous pace. This way I always kept a decent bit ahead but I got some bit of a rest at the same time.

This plan also allowed me to slow down a fair bit on hills and make it up them without using too much energy. It worked great and at the same time didn't put me under as much pressure time wise if I had done this whilst within the front of the pacer group.

Upto until about the time we were entering Terenure everything was fine then the wheels started to come off, started to drop pace abit and I was finding it awful hard to concentrate and just keep running however I kept on taking gels and jellys.

It was around this time menoscemo passed me and just as he did the string from the balloon he was carrying caught the side of my glasses and almost pulled them off my face. (would not have been fun trying to run the race without glasses).

I dropped back abit in amongst the 4hr pacer group after he passed but about 1km later I decided I was going to beat the 4hr pacers no matter what, that and I was sick of the balloons hitting me (damn wind!) so I passed them again and kept about 40sec ahead of them for the next while.

I felt fine until about Merrion Road/Vincents Hospital then the wheels started to come off once more, I had used all my gels and I just wanted to stop.

From here on in the last few miles just felt endlesss, I tried my best to make it easier by thinking "ah sure 6km is only a 30min run during training" and that worked....until it seemed to take an age to do just 1km and then the next 1km.

At every step I just wanted to stop and towards that last mile I thought "ah **** it I'll walk some of it" but I just kept putting one leg infront of the other!.

I saw the finish line and just kept going, ignored the feeling for my legs just wanting to stop gave it all I had.

Crossed the line and was absolutely thrilled to see my Garmin had a time of 3:58:43 on it when I hit stop (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/125833316)

I looked back to see the 4hr balloons still coming towards the finish line so I knew I had reached my target!!!

I've knocked over 35min off of my Cork Marathon finish time with a new PB of 03:58:33 according to the official clocked time :)

Afterwards:
    Well my legs are in much better shape then after the Cork Marathon, however it looks like I'll be loosing a toe nail for my troubles (my first one due to running). I'll have to see how I manage over the next few days and I have no idea what the next event will be :)

I will say thanks to menoscemo and that bloody balloon he was carrying, without it I likely wouldn't have gotten annoyed and decided to go infront of the 4hr pacers again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fair Play Cabaal, I saw you in front of me at about mile 14 and don't remember seeing you again, so I'd assumed you had made your target but didn't know I had repassed you.

Sorry about the balloon :o, It had a mind of it's own in yesterdays wind.

November 4th:
    Distance: 29.01km
    Avg Speed: 25.2km/hour
    Time: 1:09:09

Finding it hard the last few days after the DCM, its been raining non-stop up until today so feeling somewhat restricted by this. Really wanted to get a run in as legs feel fine (hell of alot better then after Cork) but thought it best to get in a cycle and see how things feel.

Overall everything was fine, didn't feel tired and nothing weird in the legs. Feck all wind so it was pretty enjoyable....oh and no motorists tried to kill me which is always good :pac:

So I'm in the aftermath of the DCM 2011 and its up in the air regarding what I really want to do next.

When I think back to a few days ago at the DCM although I said in my race report that I wanted to stop I feel now I had some more power in the legs and could have finished slightly sooner.

Ok not loads quicker but a min if I had pushed it and focused more. So now I know I'm capable of a sub4.....with this in mind I think I need some new goals.

At the moment I've gotten a sub25 5km with a PB on the 19th Oct of 23:42. I've also managed a sub50 10km with a few in 49min.

Some rough goals I'd like this year:
    Distance: Time Target:
    5km 21min XXseconds
    10km 45min XXseconds
    10miles 1hour 15min
    Half Marathon 1hr 40min or less
    Marathon 3hr 4Xmin's

In addition to the above I def need to get out into more events, they force me to push myself more so aiming to do Waterford Half in December and also Dungarvan 10mile in January for starters.

I'm not yet sure what marathon's I want to sign up for this year but Connamara for starters (even if its hilly!) seems a nice starter as its on early which would allow me to do Cork in June.

• Advertisement

November 5th:
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:15km
    Time: 52:35

Ok perhaps didn't take this as easy as I should have but enjoyed it none the less, legs felt fine afterwards as well.

Did a run around Kilkenny Castle and also decided to take a look at the Nore river route to Bennetsbridge across from the castle as I could see a 400metre long wooden bridge on the other side. Crossed over and made my way to the start of the bridge only to find the council have the whole thing fenced off :(

So I'm down in Cork on and off for the next while, whilst its a nice change when it comes to running routes the change from tarmac to concrete and the hills are making it hard going.

November 9th:
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:22km
    Time: 53:40

November 10th:
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:18km
    Time: 26:28

November 13th:
    Time: 1:24:32

November 15th:
    Distance: 5.05km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:44km
    Time: 28:54

November 16th:
    Distance: 11.57km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:02km
    Time: 58:09

November 20th:
    Distance: 10.02km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:20km
    Time: 53:27

November 22nd:
    Avg Pace per KM: 4:57km
    Time: 24:47

November 23rd:
    Distance: 16.10km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:12km
    Time: 1:23:42

Found some very nice routes in and around Cork, Douglas road into City Centre hasn't been too bad although I'm not used to having to stop at so many junctions!

I';m desperate at keeping this log up to date lately,

November 28th:
    Distance: 21.10km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:29km
    Time: 1:54:42

December 4th:
    Distance: 21.22km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:39km
    Time: 1:59:48

December 6th:
    Distance: 13.61km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:10km
    Time: 1:10:24

December 7th:
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:02km
    Time: 25:12

December 14th:
    Distance: 6.70km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:07km
    Time: 34:17

December 15th:
    Distance: 8.21km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:14km
    Time: 43:01

December 18th:
    Distance: 11.47km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:11km
    Time: 59:42

December 19th: - Intervals
    Distance: 4.60km
    Avg Pace per KM: 6:01km
    Time: 27:39

December 21st:
    Distance: 11.21km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:10km
    Time: 57:55

December 23rd:
    Avg Pace per KM: 4:58km
    Time: 49:44

December 26th:
    Distance: 16.11km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:19km
    Time: 1:25:39

Ok once again up to date, running was sparse in places and was moving back home from Cork and settling into things in the new job.

Sat down on Stephens Day and realised I'm already behind on training for Connamara so that was somewhat of a shock and is worrying.

I have a number of goals and ideas I want during 2012 so I now need to put the head down and stop coming up with excuses for not running, not getting up early to run or not going out late.

Over the past two weeks or so I've started running so country roads with a headtorch and I have to say I've found it pretty enjoyable, ok...I need a better headtorch but its worked well and has allowed me to get off the normal lit roads which have gotten awful boring.

I've not seen any major reduction in times these past few weeks and months but I still know I'm in a better condition then before Cork back in June of this year.

Think perhaps of late I've just lost that spark after the DCM, I've had no proper targets or aims as although I planned on doing the Waterford Half Marathon reality got in the way so that didn't happen.

Recently I think that spark is coming back, although it doesn't seem it based on the training log I feel like I'm getting my act together but I know need to put the miles in and just enjoy the runs once again. :)

Planned training for Connamara on the 1st April 2012
    First but certainly won't be the last long distance event of 2012

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XahC3OUWrtgAmiRIf0hu2Wm4n-JaJ3a7IvShJhqCfk4/edit

December 28th:
    Distance: 12.00km
    Time: 1:03:02

December 29th:
    Avg Pace per KM: 4:46km
    Time: 23:53

Just short 3mile run, nothing fancy, picked up the pace somewhat to see if I could get a decent time compared to the last few 5km's I did. Didn't do so bad. Higher by 4sec then my BP for a 5km back before DCM http://connect.garmin.com/activity/122866840

December 31st:
    Distance: 7.01km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:06km
    Time: 35:43

Last run of the year and this time it was in Co Tipp, wedding to go to today so got in a run earlish in the morning :)

Total km run during 2011 was 1,539km, I needed 1,610km to hit the 1,000mile target. Close but no cigar....guess I'll just have to hit it in 2012 :D

January 2nd
    Distance: 22.53km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:39km
    Time: 2:07:15

First run of 2012 and unlike 2011 I'm going to hit that 1,000mile target :).

My first run over 13miles in a number of weeks and felt pretty alright, slight shin pain for the first 5km on my left leg but fine after that.

Hit my slow pace target bang on and enjoyed it with the exception of getting chased by three lots of dogs the last of which were near Kylemore, Co Tipp and they were pretty adment when it come to wanting to bite me.

Guess thats what you get from sheepdogs.

January 4th
    Distance: 14.13km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:13 min/km
    Time: 1:13:37

Supposed to be 16.09km but didn't have the time, was in Waterford so took on more hills then I'm used to. Between the hills and the wind it was very hard going but felt great after it.

January 5th
    Avg Pace per KM: 4:43 min/km
    Time: 23:35

Keeping with the training plan. Managed to set a new PB beating my previously PB back in October 2011 by 7seconds

January 6th
    Distance: 11,54 km
    Avg Pace per KM: 5:18 min/km
    Time: 1:01:09

Kept at my target marathon race pace for the run but found this run hard going, felt tired and I'm glad tomorrow is rest day. Had to stop a few times due to traffic which was annoying but at the same time I was thankful of a rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shaviebeby

Hi Caball, just read all your posts there. That's amazing progress...well done!! I've just signed up for the Conn Half, and I was wondering what training programme you would advise? You mentioned 'Hal Higdon's Half Marathon' and you also mentioned speed work, can you elaborate on this or have any advice?.
    Thanks and keep up the work!!

• Advertisement

No updates since mid-January, yep all pretty bad and given the amount of updates I've left out at this stage I'm not going to bother backdating.

The summary of the last few months is everything was going pretty well with my training until mid-February and then things started going down hill.

I was sick and due to this I missed out on alot of mid-week runs and I never really felt right all the way up till the week before Connemarathon, I still hit all my 20mile runs for the Connemarathon training I posted previously but the lack of mid week runs were really felt.

Up until the week before Connemarathon I was still on a course of anti-biotics but felt a lot lot better then I did at the beginning of March, so I made my way up to Galway and took part in my third marathon hoping for a very hopeful time of 3:58 or lower............despite all the hills :D

Next post for my Connemarathon race report :)

Advertisement