Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma 18-200mm not focusing properly

• 20-09-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm at my wit's end with my Sigma 18-200mm lens (non-OS) at the moment... at 18mm, it's really slow to focus, the autofocus is making strange little noises, it sounds like the motor is trying to do something, but can't get in gear? :confused:
    When I zoom a bit, the focusing improves considerably, but sometimes still does it's own thing.
    I've cleaned the contacts on the camera (Nikon D300) and on the lens, and tried out every other lens I have (both Sigma and Nikon lenses), and they all work fine, focus is spot on and fast, so I'm guessing it's the lens that's the problem, not the body (phew!)...
    Has anyone had similar problems? With this lens, or a different one?
    Any help is appreciated... :)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Hi greeneyedspirit,
    I cant say for sure what is wrong with your lens but I do repairs and could examine and fix it for you if you would like?
    It sounds like the gears on the AF mech arent shimmed properly and have stripped on on end, when you zoom the gears move into the correct possition and dont slip perhaps.

Does the motor/gears whir freely when you are focusing or does it struggle to spin the gears?

You might need a new AF mech for the lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Hi greeneyedspirit,
    I cant say for sure what is wrong with your lens but I do repairs and could examine and fix it for you if you would like?
    It sounds like the gears on the AF mech arent shimmed properly and have stripped on on end, when you zoom the gears move into the correct possition and dont slip perhaps.

Does the motor/gears whir freely when you are focusing or does it struggle to spin the gears?

You might need a new AF mech for the lens.

Thanks zerohamster :)
    The motor appears to be struggling to spin the gears, the focus ring is moving, but very slowly, and with a weird whirring sound. When zooming a little, it disappears for the most part.
    I've had the lens for about 4 years now, and have used it a lot, but then, surely a lens should be able to handle that...?
    Whereabouts would you be based? I'm in Galway myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Ah I see, a possible cause could be that the gears at that focal length could be as I said in the first post or could be tightly pressed against eachother causing the motor to struggle (also causing the noise).

4 years of solid use sounds like an average lifetime for a consumer lens with heavy use (some would last more, some less).
    The problem your lens has is probably the most common type of failure for a lens (ie AF failure).

Im based in Wicklow but registered post of a lens comes to €6-7 for that size/weight.
    PM with further details if you are interested, Ive done a few repairs for other boardsies so youll see my name in a few threads on lens repair and a little feedback if you are worried about posting it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

PM sent :)

Advertisement