Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places that are good to eat on campus ?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

just wondering where is good to eat in UCD not a fan of junk food is there anywhere on campus that sells good food ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

O Brien's in the Medical Building. Elements is pretty good too IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Elements.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

O'Briens in Richview is far better than the one in health sciences. It generally has a smaller queue and plenty of spaces to sit. Pity its in the middle of no where though:D

Always find the forum bar not too bad.. they give you plenty of food which is always a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

Restaurant has lovely soup

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

LC_ugh wrote: »
    Restaurant has lovely soup

pity thats about all they do good;) And don't get me started on the portion sizes.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Forum Bar usually has good hot food. Elements is good for some stuff and really bad for others. Seems particularly bad this year for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Make your own. It's all shite on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

El Siglo wrote: »
    Make your own. It's all shite on campus.

He speaks the truth....the only place that's halfway decent is Centra and thats just a newsagents with a deli, nowhere to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Had nice food in elements yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

What was it? I had the thai green curry the other day which I normally love but it was watery slop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was always rather fond of Insomnia soups (usually went to the one in the Conway building).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 The Night Fox

Elements in cience is good, but can be a bit pricy if you get a full on meal. 911 beside the library is good for a cheap roll. Also, the place under the restaurant does really fresh rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Elements in cience is good, but can be a bit pricy if you get a full on meal. 911 beside the library is good for a cheap roll. Also, the place under the restaurant does really fresh rolls.

:eek:

Cheap roll? what do you normally buy your rolls for? a tenner? They're like a fiver in 911 on a good day!

Elements is probably the best place for food.

SU centre does rolls with whatever you want on it for 3 quid/3.50?... cold tho but still delish..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Elements is great but you need the money. I don't think I bought anything more than cup of coffee in there. Although, credit where credit is due it probably does the best food in comparison to the other places. Then again, that wouldn't be hard when your competition is like that fast food tripe from the student centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Elements is probably the best quality/price. For example

Soup (Selection of 4 different types) with roll & butter - €3

Hot Chicken Fillet Roll with lettuce/tomato - €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LauraLuck

1968 wrote: »
    Elements is probably the best quality/price. For example

Soup (Selection of 4 different types) with roll & butter - €3

Hot Chicken Fillet Roll with lettuce/tomato - €3.50

I should have gone to Elements, I got a chicken fillet roll, only had cheese on it and was shabbily presented and cost me €4.95 in the restaurant.Rip off.
    But saw today in the SU shop under libray get a 'sambo/roll, galaxy or aero bar and pack of crisps for €3.99'

Most days i bring my own lunch and sit by the lake with my lil picnic.That way i have more (much needed) money for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Spar in Roebuck is better then centra. But ****ing trek.

O'Briens in Health Sciences is now gone btw. Get a mate on campus with an oven/cooker, and learn to cook some easy quick meals that can be made in large portions. Get your mates to split the cost you can be eating well for like 2 euro per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

don't forget there is a microwave in the main restuarant which is really handy if you do bring food from home!

i think the zumo in the quinn building ain't bad, their smoothies are a lot cheaper than they charge in town.

i keep seeing advertisements for student meal deals from 3.50 euro at the student club, but when i go in the meals are all ridic prices. i paid 5.50 for chips and a breadcrumbed chicken thing the other day. though i do think their chips are AMAZING. the centre club is supposed to have these 3.50 meal deals too, but i'm not sure where that is or if they ACTUALLY do.

where/which is the forum bar? is that the one in the student centre?

i'm disappointed with the chains, like o'briens and insomnia. they're overpriced, would rather there was a subway, at least they do cheap deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Centra with €3.50 chicken roll and water does it for me. Also the Student Bar is ok but you sort of get bored of the food as the menu is repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Another awesome Centra deal is Pizza with 3 toppings + bottle of water for €4, there is also the grind in the student centre, huge roll/sandwich for €3.50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 danmurf

Thanks all, I was walking through the sport centre yesterday and I seen a food place there, what's the story with that place ? I was in a rush so did not have time to stop and look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mossychica

there's a great place in the sports center. homemade burgers are yum! and you can eat as much of the self service salad bar as you want. chilli with salad only 5.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mossychica

i just found out that the sport cafe have these loyalty cards, when if you buy 6 lunches you you get the next lunch FREE ! i love that 4 letter word!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

€2.00 for a ham and coleslaw brown bread snadwich in Centra :D

The restaurant in the student centre has a buffet that serves food by weight and it works out very cheaply.

€5.70 today for a plate of curry and a can of coke today. It's quite tasty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

errlloyd wrote: »
    Spar in Roebuck is better then centra. But ****ing trek.

O'Briens in Health Sciences is now gone btw. Get a mate on campus with an oven/cooker, and learn to cook some easy quick meals that can be made in large portions. Get your mates to split the cost you can be eating well for like 2 euro per person.

No it's not. I've had lunch there a few times in the last few weeks. They were planning on expanding it so it might close for a few days, but it is definitely there. They seem to enjoy continually redesigning the layout of it :D

For anybody craving O'Briens, you can go to Richview too.

Also, most on-campus accommodation don't have ovens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I would love a Jimmy John's on campus. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm fortunate in that I live nearby, and only have a full meal on campus for social reasons. Apart from that, I'm liking the sandwiches in the SU shops, especially the Sweet Chilli Chicken baguette.

(The title of this thread still cracks me up: trust me, none of the places on campus are good to eat, not even the Clinton Memorial Auditorium. :pac: )

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

bnt wrote: »
    (The title of this thread still cracks me up: trust me, none of the places on campus are good to eat, not even the Clinton Memorial Auditorium. :pac: )

Really? You can get a great meal for E6 in a number of places.

For E3 or E4 though you will be hard put to eat a good place to eat out... anywhere really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

errlloyd wrote: »
    O'Briens in Health Sciences is now gone btw.
    Since when? It was there last week...

Advertisement