Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurb old house of buy a-new?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 6:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

I've really enjoyed reading the accommodation forum over the last while. Now I hope you can help me out with my issue.

Basically, I've inherited a house. It's very old and in moderate condition. It needs new electrics, windows, heating, it's quite damp. I would want to convert the garage for a third bedroom. And I've been told that as the foundations aren't great (or aren't there at all) I couldn't convert the attic to make an upstairs.

So I was told best bet is to knock it and build a new house. The rough estimate I was given by someone on boards was 150k-200k. But for this money I could buy another house in the neighbourhood and have two moderately ok houses.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should bother trying to repair this house, which will probably cost 30k-40k, or should I just go the whole hog and build it new. It's in a perfect location for me. My grandfather built the house, that's my main slowness for knocking it.

Anyone know which the better option would be here? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Where is it located?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

In Douglas, Cork. Does it change your opinion? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Not really - but it should be somewhat cheaper to get the work done.

Best to get a survey done to see how good or bad shape its in.

Do you have the money to do both?.

Knocking and rebuilding involves a lot of planning, a lot moreso than refurbishing. Probably a lot more headaches, but you need to talk to a builder really.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It could become a money pit, regarding the lack of foundations.

the_syco wrote: »
    It could become a money pit, regarding the lack of foundations.

That's what I'm thinking. I can spend 50k putting everything and anything into it. But it'll still be a foundationless house. I want something decent I can hand down to my descendants, not a weak structure that'll be blown down by the next passing wolf.

Thanks for the advice. I think the only thing to do is get a builder's opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much land is the house on? Instead of knocking it down, could you build a house next to it?

It has me thinking of my grandfathers house in Kerry: he used his grandfathers house for storage.

the_syco wrote: »
    How much land is the house on? Instead of knocking it down, could you build a house next to it?

It has me thinking of my grandfathers house in Kerry: he used his grandfathers house for storage.

No way. It's in suburbia. It's a little bungalow, with a nice back garden. But not a big enough for a house. Nice idea though! I think I just have to make a decision whether I want to keep throwing money at and old house or go into major debt to build a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

how do you know there are no or little foundations? It would be quite rare to find a house still standing if there were no foundations. Are there are any cracks in structural walls e.g. external walls If not it would suggest that structurally the house is sound.

By the sounds of it the house would appear to be 1940/50's. The norm way back was terraced housing not bungalows.
    Get a proper survey done because as you are now the owner you would be responsible if it "fell down" - in this way you'd know what its like.
    Re-wiring, plumbing, windows etc... all the norm when refurbing an older house. Check the cavity - probably no insulation.

If it was done up could you rent it out? A little earner until the tide turns sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    how do you know there are no or little foundations? It would be quite rare to find a house still standing if there were no foundations. Are there are any cracks in structural walls e.g. external walls If not it would suggest that structurally the house is sound.

Most of the terraced red bricks you see in Dublin have no foundations as we know them.

mrgaa1 wrote: »

By the sounds of it the house would appear to be 1940/50's. The norm way back was terraced housing not bungalows.
    Get a proper survey done because as you are now the owner you would be responsible if it "fell down" - in this way you'd know what its like.
    Re-wiring, plumbing, windows etc... all the norm when refurbing an older house. Check the cavity - probably no insulation.

If it was done up could you rent it out? A little earner until the tide turns sometime in the future.

It's one of the very common city bungalow. They're common in Cork anyway. Lots of them on the northside. They're square with the two windows sticking out at the front.

I don't know for certain that it has no foundations, but we had a builder in a few years ago when we wanted the attic converted and although he said there's loads of space up there to make an upstairs, the house wouldn't support it.

It has been rented out in the past, so it mustn't be too bad. :) But now I'd like to live in it so I want it perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

There are ways to retro fit foundations. Would be pricey Id imagine. I woul get a structural survey and maybe an architect to see what potential the house has before deciding anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'm going along with most others on this and reckon that you really need to get a survey of the house done by a suitably qualified engineer. Damp, shot wiring, rotten windows, no insulation and the like are all problems that can be rectified and at your own pace if funding is a problem or that. However, poor foundations/ subsidence...not so small a problem I'm afraid.

You might find that planning is a nightmare or even an impossibility for a rebuild with things the way they are now. Also, if it was built in 1940's/ 50's it could even be one of these protected structures meaning you aren't allowed knock it and rebuild...Don't know too much about that though myself I'm afraid...Could somebody else give more advice in this regard perhaps? However, best not to put the cart before the horse. If I were you I'd get survey done first and work from there once I get the results of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

dory wrote: »
    No way. It's in suburbia. It's a little bungalow, with a nice back garden. But not a big enough for a house. Nice idea though! I think I just have to make a decision whether I want to keep throwing money at and old house or go into major debt to build a new one.
    You could just sell it and leave the decision to somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is an old thread. Post moved and thread closed.

Advertisement