Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acupuncture for weight loss

Options
  • 20-09-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I recently heard that acupuncture can aid weight loss. Has anyone here tried it? Iv recently started a new job, and am finding myself very low on energy and have put up weight, but havent increased my food intake or anything.
    If anyone can let me know if they have had success with acupuncture id really appreciate it.
    Thanks!!
    :):):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

The acupunked-turist has to know his stuff, it takes a lot of skill to stab the heart of the fat cell and resonate the exact frequency of the negative energy of the flab, then the weight will fall off*

*not actually true

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jo16

funny!! thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I have acupuncture regularly, it can help energy levels alright but wouldn't have seen much evidence of weight loss as such from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I'm not sure how it would help, but I'm admittedly a sceptic. If acupuncture actually does work at all, it would likely be for some very specific things. Anything after that is likely just placebo. It couldn't be a catch-all.

From a diet/lifestyle perspective though (which is what this forum is about) I can give you a number of tips if you want.

There are a few factors (stress, poor sleep, irregular meals, spiking blood sugar levels) that can cause your body to release cortisol. This is the stress hormone. It's your body working to survive through what it reckons are hard times ahead. It slows your metabolism, stores fat, burns muscle and a whole load of other stuff we really want to avoid in our modern lives of plentiful food.

Frequent but short bouts of exercise (30 mins is enough), especially resistance exercise (lifting/moving heavy things) can reduce cortisol, stress and aid sleep. It'll also help with energy levels, mood, muscle-tone and weight loss. Exercise is the real catch-all cure tbh... for most western ails at least.

Get a good steak into you and plenty of fruit and green veg. Eggs too, I find I get rather out of sorts if I'm not eating much protein or when I lack saturated fat. Avoid the sweets, chocolates, sodas (etc.) especially, spiking blood sugar will pile on the kilos and mess with your energy levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭redbug

Yes Acupuncture is effective for weight loss combined with a good diet and regular exercise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

If your over eating is related to stress then acupuncture may help inadvertently. It does seem to work wonders for stress-related problems in general in my experience.

Hate to break it to you though, unless you've started new medication that causes weight gain or suddenly developed a thyroid problem, over-eating is most certainly the cause of your weight gain, so you will have to deal with your diet if you want tangible results.

Advertisement