Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Flower Shop where Moran's fish shop was

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Super pics. Thanks for posting. Wondering though, why Greystones needs another flower shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 egorski

I live very close to here so I have no excuse now not to pick up a
    bottle of wine and a bunch of flowers for my better half ;-)

Both the wine shop and the flower shop are of very high quality
    and the owners are really friendly. Well worth a visit.

There is a great buzz about the street now and it would
    be even better if they could finish of the building where the thrift shop
    used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

I give it one year before it closes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Dr.Silly wrote: »

great to see some positive entusiasm for new business in the area :rolleyes:

as a previous poster mentioned, both the wine & flower shops are high quality and have friendly/approachable owners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

tc20 wrote: »
    great to see some positive entusiasm for new business in the area :rolleyes:

as a previous poster mentioned, both the wine & flower shops are high quality and have friendly/approachable owners

just realistic that's all.
    High Quality and Friendly/approachable staff is a must of course, you need the demand though to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dr.Silly wrote: »

Yep.

Absolute business death trap, that street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

If they are smart and put the main focus on doing large scale arrangements for events weddings/funerals/etc and not on selling to occasional bouquet for a wife then it's a fine place to be based.

Actually - I'm not sure the location argument is correct - the new butchers on La Touche road seems to be doing good business for a good while now and it is an even worse location if you buy into that opinion.
    Same as Farrellys up in Delgany. (topics that are on-going on this board)
    People will always come back for quality and service,,,and espeically so if its for that special occasion.....

But I do agree that you make the big bucks by doing weddings/christentings/funerals though.

It will be interesting to see how this area develops when the Marina is finished as it will be half way between the two town centres.

New business's certainly have a high failure rate - thankfully we seem to have alot of people willing to give it a go in Greystones..........regardless.....I'm still in shock that somebody is going to open up a second pub on the main street.......2 pubs on the main street....unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Yes but Summerville has a great turnover of customers, so it is possible to run a successful business off the main street.

As for the flower shop I wish it well but I cannot imagine from a business point of view how a flower shop will blossom (excuse the pun) in the current climate. It seems like madness to me to open one.

• Advertisement

That's true - Summerville's Country cooking does a savage business...they
    are packed every weekend and have a constant business through the day - the back garden is the best place for a coffee at the weekend......they do a good business from people attending mass - and do the best home made scones in Greystones....

Maybe the wine shop and flower shop are trying to tap into this market......Blood of christ/weddings/christenings/funerals....that kind of thing.....they are well located for that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

egorski wrote: »
    Actually - I'm not sure the location argument is correct - the new butchers on La Touche road seems to be doing good business for a good while now and it is an even worse location if you buy into that opinion.
    Same as Farrellys up in Delgany. (topics that are on-going on this board)
    People will always come back for quality and service,,,and espeically so if its for that special occasion.....

But I do agree that you make the big bucks by doing weddings/christentings/funerals though.

It will be interesting to see how this area develops when the Marina is finished as it will be half way between the two town centres.

New business's certainly have a high failure rate - thankfully we seem to have alot of people willing to give it a go in Greystones..........regardless.....I'm still in shock that somebody is going to open up a second pub on the main street.......2 pubs on the main street....unbelievable.

You're not Irish are you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You're not Irish are you? :D

I assumed he was being sarcastic, given Grestones' historic lack of pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

There's a second pub on the main street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Sooner the better. Competition seriously needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Not yet, but someone else applied for, and got, planning permission to change one of the new retail spaces beside Supervalu into a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

doesn't necessarily mean a pub will open there - the Charlesland Centre has had planning permission for a pub for over 5 years, but no pub has opened (supposedly due to the landlord asking for an astronomically high rent).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

I think Congrats are in order to both the flower shop and the wine shop for a least looking the part, the street looks very well now.

Plus, it can be a handy little area to park, across from the church - D'oh i have given my secret away now :p

Hopefully the half-finished building will open/ finish soon and some interesting businesses will open there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Summerville does a good business, because the Blue Rinse brigade like to be close to the Church :)

Declan's does a good business because of the 'talented' ahem hair stylists,

Drove past the wine shop the other night and the staff gave me a look like 'dear god please come in'.

Can't say any other business working on that street.

The Thift Shop site is slowed by lack of flexibility on rates.

I wonder how Banks even green light businesses in Greystones.

Food, Booze or Video Shops thats about the sole survivors here.

Official opening of Flower shop on Saturday 16th. October 1pm to 4 pm

Face painting
    Floral design demo.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    While 2 have closed, Lidl, Tesco, Supervalu and Superquinn are all taking some of the custom.
    Sorry to see the long established flower shop near Vino Pasta go. Maybe new TD Stephen Donnelly will find a useful business for his temporary headquarters!!!! Maybe create a few jobs in the town.

Advertisement