Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help deciding: Kindle or IPad

• 20-09-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I am normally a nerd when it comes to technology and I also work in a phone store so am fairly up to date on new technologies, however I am now at a very questionable cross road.

I have decided so to invest in either an Ipad or Kindle 3 as I will be going into my 4th year of study Uni and will have very little class time, so a massive amount of my time will be consumed with reading books, articles and journals, I am also wondering what other ways either one of these devices can assist me in 4th year – I wont however be using to take note.
    I am at a crossroad because each device offers specific advantages to me. The Ipad will allow me to access both the Ibook store and Kindle store. It has a much bigger screen which will always help and it is also a mini PC and not just a reader and might offer added benefit to me. However I am a little worried about eye strain as I will be spending alot of time staring at it, also I am unsure if paid ibooks are avalible in Ireland(can you guys clarify for me?)

The Kindle is lightweight and easy to transport, the battery life is much longer and eye strain will not be a problem. However I am unsure if it will be suitable as I'm not sure how easy it will be to access online notes and journals, I also read that it is free to use their 3g signal, is this case in Ireland? Also, because it is just an ereader I will be deprived on all the apps - however this will only be a problem if any of these apps could be a benifit for me in 4th year.

I am not really worried about the price; more importantly to me is that the device will assist me in 4th year, namely reading books, journals etc.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

You can get a Kindle App for your iPad if that's any help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Thanks Amberjack, yes I am aware of this. If it wasnt for this app the Kindle would be the clear cut winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not what you're asking, but I'd probably get a Kindle and a netbook - and still have change left over, most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

i have an ipad the backlight is too strong for comfortable reading. i have just ordered

a kindle3 off .co.uk. i had a look at apples pricing for ebooks and thought they were way

overpriced. actually dearer than paper copies. i had a look at amazons pricing and they seemed much more reasonable. that e ink is really gentle on the eye and with the free 3g service it seems really good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Sorry Mod but I have accidentaly asked same question in two fourms.

Is it possible to read ppt presentations on Kindle? Cant seem to get a clear answer on google for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

Sorry Mod but I have accidentaly asked same question in two fourms.

Is it possible to read ppt presentations on Kindle? Cant seem to get a clear answer on google for this.

i was trying to find that out myself, and i think its a negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If you know anyone in the United States, then think about the Nook. I have one and have used every day since I got it. No restrictive file formats like the Kindle as the Nook can use the industry standard .epub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

tallpaul wrote: »
    If you know anyone in the United States, then think about the Nook. I have one and have used every day since I got it. No restrictive file formats like the Kindle as the Nook can use the industry standard .epub.

Just to point out that:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

works perfectly with the lady friend's Kindle 3 - it is a piece of piss to convert .epubs, .txts & .pdfs to .mobi, to work with the kindle.

OP...it's a tough one to call. With the kindle 3, by the time you spec a case, with light and a charger, it could end up costing €280 (said lady friends' was €283 delivered last week) so maybe the ipad isn't the worst proposition then...?

Do you have a device for your email (e.g. iphone or android?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have the sony prs-505 and love it. OP, you need to decide exactly what you want it to do. A good ebook reader, is not really a gadget, in that it has one use. Reading books(though mine has a basic MP3 player too). You cant play games, you cant browse the web, and you cant send emails. This is a good thing imo as it does just one(2) thing, but does it really well. If you just want to read text get an ebook reader.

I dont know about the kindle but the prs doesn't handle images very well. If the books you read will have alot of images, then maybe the iPad is the one to go for.

Advertisement